This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous Type R Owners?

Stuck in a slight dilemma regarding the next motor so was wondering if anybody who has gone from a Type R (EP3) to an Astra VXR can share their experience going from one to the other.

I was originally looking to get a Type R but as stated in my previous thread I was finding it insanely difficult finding the right one at the right price so was attracted towards the Astra, however my confidence was knocked when I found that they appeared to have frequent gremlins.

So heres my question: Was going from a Type R a good or bad move and why, upsides and downsides etc etc

ive had 2 and miss them both (ep3s) the thing is there a compleatly different car to the astra,but IMO more fun to drive,but i would not sell my astra to get one though i would definatly get another 1

Comment

Cliff - drunken master had one

think he still hold a flame for them tbh that and Lego . . .

Comment

ive had both matey, but then again miss them both dearly TBH, its wierd but i miss the type r more for the drive, But the vxr more for the looks! and presence
        BUT, make sure you pick the best one for you, or it will play on you pal, trust me
        saw, test drove, bought- then crashed!! just jokin(touching wood!) crappin mysen na! seriously i just nipped a bit out...

Comment

Originally posted by bluethunder View Post
          ive had both matey, but then again miss them both dearly TBH, its wierd but i miss the type r more for the drive, But the vxr more for the looks! and presence
          BUT, make sure you pick the best one for you, or it will play on you pal, trust me
          Thats what I'm trying to avoid pal, and I'm stuck in the middle as have test driven both and love them in thier own way.

The EP3 felt like a razor edged racer that rewarded you with the work you put in, the VXR was a p****d off animal that you only had to press the loud pedal to achieve everything in front suddenly getting a lot closer.

Both have a distinctive sex-wee inducing noice with an aftermarket exhaust!

Decisions decisions!!!!

Comment

astra all the way

Comment

Astra for me aswell though the type r is a nice car also my standard astra beats them lolz

Comment

Had both

Only kept my Civic Type R 7 weeks i got annoyed as u have to rev hell out of them to get any sort of enjoyment in the drive...

But......after 8 weeks of ownership of my VXR i aint enjoying it as much as i thought i would either.....just not "lovin" it.... so its a personal preference mate.

For reliability you cant fault hondas engines over vauxhall. Fact.

For build quality....i think Honda edge it again.

Looks i think the VXR has it.

Drive - You decide

Comment

can buy both for 10-11k so there you are have a weekend toy and a week car

Comment

Originally posted by 7om View Post
                    can buy both for 10-11k so there you are have a weekend toy and a week car
                    Oh so tempting XD

The only thing that puts me off the VXR is the build quality and reliability issues that I have seen crop up, every other category it just seems to blow the CTR out of the water.

Comment

I've had an EP3 Cosmic Grey Facelift model and in truth I miss it, possibly one of the most reliable cars I've had, loads of storage in the cabin area. Didn't need anything doing to it apart from adding HIDs. Instant power on a tap of the A pedal.

However everyone seemed to want in your boot and reveal themselves in your rear view mirror.

Sold it due to having a small fuel tank and redundancy. Would ceratinly have another.

You wouldn't have thought it had done 100,000 miles. Engines built to last.

Hope you get your joy and find.

Sorry Admin for the stack of pictures.

a5tr4

Comment

Originally posted by jknight View Post
                        Oh so tempting XD

The only thing that puts me off the VXR is the build quality and reliability issues that I have seen crop up, every other category it just seems to blow the CTR out of the water.
                        mate dont worry the astras are strong people post threads when there astras break but if everyone posted that there astra was awesome and working you'd never see the broken threads
                        besides if you had a ctr aswell you could still get about while astra was off road

Comment

Originally posted by 7om View Post
                          mate dont worry the astras are strong people post threads when there astras break but if everyone posted that there astra was awesome and working you'd never see the broken threads
                          besides if you had a ctr aswell you could still get about while astra was off road
                          You speak sense. If only I could afford to buy, insure and run both

Any other people with experience of both?

Comment

I had 2 ep3's before the vxr. Never had a single issue with them, absolutely bomb proof engine. Would beat the standard astra though the twistys easy and lift the back wheel up. For me the astra is better looking and the cabin much better overall with a better feel. The type r is very sparse inside and feels like you are driving a go kart.
                            I personally don't like the standard astra vxr that much over the type r. So why did i buy one? Well because a stage 2 astra is a different beast altogether. I'v had my racing edtion from new and never drove it standard. Mapped from day one with a miltek ect.. A few weeks later i got the handling sorted with springs Rarb & Geo. Now i no its not fair to compare a standard car to a modded one, but a standard astra was never the car for me over a type r. I love the astra that much i'll be keeping it for some time, and pound for pound it's hard for many cars to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilli View Post
                              I had 2 ep3's before the vxr. Never had a single issue with them, absolutely bomb proof engine. Would beat the standard astra though the twistys easy and lift the back wheel up. For me the astra is better looking and the cabin much better overall with a better feel. The type r is very sparse inside and feels like you are driving a go kart.
                              I personally don't like the standard astra vxr that much over the type r. So why did i buy one? Well because a stage 2 astra is a different beast altogether. I'v had my racing edtion from new and never drove it standard. Mapped from day one with a miltek ect.. A few weeks later i got the handling sorted with springs Rarb & Geo. Now i no its not fair to compare a standard car to a modded one, but a standard astra was never the car for me over a type r. I love the astra that much i'll be keeping it for some time, and pound for pound it's hard for many cars to beat.

totally agree with this statement, ive owned both, both modded highly as well, the civic is no shake off like with a few mods its up there with the best of motors, and they very reasonably priced now, ya getting a lot of car for the money now with the civic, been thinking about this for some time meself. once ya jump in the civic the driving position and the whole set up in generaljust makes you drive miles after mile. i never wanted to get out of mine. but saying this the astra is equally as addicitve the power looks and tuning capabilaties wins the day for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X