This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistling turbo...is it dying?

Ok so my car's started making a whistling noise all of a sudden, it does it when you floor it and it comes on boost.

Car seems to boost/perform as normal but it's doing my head in now. I've pressure tested all the pipework for leaks, there's no splits in the vac hoses etc so the only thing left is the turbo?

I got a video earlier to show what I mean, you can hear the whistling noise, it's a lot louder in person

Any ideas?

Comment

I cant hear anything in that video but mine whilstles loads since changing to CDTI conversion and courts panel filter. Maybe just enjoy the sound

Comment

Originally posted by Valhalla626 View Post
        I cant hear anything in that video but mine whilstles loads since changing to CDTI conversion and courts panel filter. Maybe just enjoy the sound
        Mine's always had an open cone, it never used to whistle, just the sound of spooling...recently it's started a distinct whistle on boost, I thought it'd be a split pipe or something but it's not

Comment

when was the last time you changed your oil?

corsa arctic edition #257
          now sold

REAR STRUT BAR FOR SALE!

Comment

The engine's done 2500 miles since being rebuilt and forged and it's had 3 oil/filter changes in that time

Comment

how many miles has the turbo done? the same?

corsa arctic edition #257
              now sold

REAR STRUT BAR FOR SALE!

Comment

Turbo was new as well yeah

Comment

Thats not the sound of knackered turbo, they make more of a whine/"whooo" kind of noise when the bearings let go. Definately sound like a tiny boost leak if its similar to the video.

Comment

somtimes the boost gauges make a whisstle. its not that is it...

Comment

Originally posted by LGB View Post
                      Thats not the sound of knackered turbo, they make more of a whine/"whooo" kind of noise when the bearings let go. Definately sound like a tiny boost leak if its similar to the video.
                      Ok that's good to know lol, I've checked and pressure tested the pipework twice and it's all fine, put soupy water round all the joints to see bubbles and there isn't any leaks up to the top hat.

Originally posted by jwfcms View Post
                      somtimes the boost gauges make a whisstle. its not that is it...
                      Could be, i'll have to try another one, cheers

Comment

if you dont have a t piece in which has a reducer into the boost gauge hose then it sends too much volume of pressure and the gauge sometimes whistles. mine did before.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrolhead Matt View Post
                          put soupy water round all the joints
                          Maybe soapy water would have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by LGB View Post
                            Maybe soapy water would have been better.
                            probably

Comment

Working...
                            X