X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To bed in or not to bed in.....

Wat do you guys recommend for the first running in period of your VXR

I have some people telling me 500 miles some say 1000 miles and others saying the sooner i drive it hard the better it will be

You guys are the owners wat u go by

Re: To bed in or not to bed in.....

Originally posted by vxr ned

I have some people telling me 500 miles some say 1000 miles and others saying the sooner i drive it hard the better it will be

50 miles to allow the oil to circulate, then rag it. The sooner you drive it hard, the better it will be.

Comment

hmmmm really ive heard guys on here talking about just tickling it till they get to 500 miles

under warrenty i suppose anyway if it goes wrong

Comment

Re: To bed in or not to bed in.....

Originally posted by Police_Driver
        Originally posted by vxr ned

50 miles to allow the oil to circulate, then rag it. The sooner you drive it hard, the better it will be.

^^^^^ yup...

Comment

Ive heard both sides but chose the `Take it Easy` for 500mls-1000mls.
          This makes some interesting reading- http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Comment

Take it easy for the for the 1st 1000miles, thats gotta be sensible. After all your talking about a £20k motor.

Even thought you have a warrenty, that only lasts 3 years, and i want mine to last me far longer than that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SiFire
              Take it easy for the for the 1st 1000miles, thats gotta be sensible. After all your talking about a £20k motor.

Even thought you have a warrenty, that only lasts 3 years, and i want mine to last me far longer than that!!!
              i could not agree more if you plan to keep it treat it right if not do what u want and hope for the best.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I think this website is b*******.

if nothing else, saying that you should do hard acceleration then deceleration is bad for the car cos your not bedding in the brake pads either.

Its gonna be your car, and your desicion, but for my money a 1000 miles taking it easy can only help in the long run, and its not much to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by SiFire

i could not agree more if you plan to keep it treat it right if not do what u want and hope for the best.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

It's a very controversial subject. I personally believe that for the first 1000 miles the engine should not be run too hard and should never be allowed to get too hot. There are alot of moving parts that need to bed in and although the engines are run-in on the bench it's sensible to allow 1000 miles to make sure everything is properbly bedded in. What i will say though is dont baby the engine. Not giving the engine sufficient load in the first 500-1000 miles will not do it any good. Dont take that the wrong way im not saying rag it by any means im just saying dont constantly run it at low revs.

A few things to follow

1. Use the engine/gears to slow down

2. Change up and down through the gears (if you know what i mean)

3. DO NOT run the engine hard for long periods.

4. DO NOT let the engine get too hot.

5. Ensure occasional load is put on the engine, lets say 5,000 rpm

Other than that just enjoy it and take it easy, let the first 1000 miles be an opportunity for you to get to know the car before you push it too hard.

Comment

I would agree, I didn't rag the car, nor did I take it easy and has been absolutely fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbluevxr
                        It's a very controversial subject. I personally believe that for the first 1000 miles the engine should not be run too hard and should never be allowed to get too hot. There are alot of moving parts that need to bed in and although the engines are run-in on the bench it's sensible to allow 1000 miles to make sure everything is properbly bedded in. What i will say though is dont baby the engine. Not giving the engine sufficient load in the first 500-1000 miles will not do it any good. Dont take that the wrong way im not saying rag it by any means im just saying dont constantly run it at low revs.

A few things to follow

1. Use the engine/gears to slow down

2. Change up and down through the gears (if you know what i mean)

3. DO NOT run the engine hard for long periods.

4. DO NOT let the engine get too hot.

5. Ensure occasional load is put on the engine, lets say 5,000 rpm

Other than that just enjoy it and take it easy, let the first 1000 miles be an opportunity for you to get to know the car before you push it too hard.
                        All sounds sensible to me.....

Comment

ive read most of the post and looked at the link.

I too was worried about the run in period but what the hell as my Techy mate said its covered under warrenty so if it goes bang i'll get paid to fix it.

Well with that i had about 35 miles on the clock racing a F355 to 130mph.

The trick is to make sure you dont over rev the engine when cold and make sure you let it cool after a thrash and DO NOT DO NOT switch off strieght away as there will be no cooling or lub to the glowing turbo.

if you have time after a thrash and its dark pull up with it still running and pop the bonnet and see how red the turbo is this will help cool the turbo as the heat will escape better. plus its good to see how far down the pre cat it glows.

Comment

I asked VX dealer mechanic when I bought the car and he said dont worry about it. The engine is designed to be used and it will cause no problems.

Under warrenty anyway.

Comment

Personally for me , I would run the engine for 600 miles without full load. After 100 miles allow the engine to rev to 4,000 in lower gears, after 300 miles allow engine to rev freely to 5,000 rpm, after 450miles allow engine to freely without load to 5,500 rpm. at 600 miles AS PER MANual your done.

DO NOT allow the engine to labour - no full load in higher gears (4-6), and no low rpm for high gears.

Rev the engine freely varying your style.

Just my input.

Comment

Working...
                              X