This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light weight flywheel

Anyone got one on their car and did it make a noticable difference?

cheers guys

Alex

bump

Comment

Hey DTOX had one and a racing clutch i think he said there good, lose a lil bit of torque tho and made a strange nice but think that was the clutch.

EDIT, found the post for you. http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...=dtox+flywheel

and http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...=dtox+flywheel
      Last edited by beefycol; 29 June 2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Cheers mate! legend!

Comment

Originally posted by VXR-POWER View Post
          Anyone got one on their car and did it make a noticable difference?

cheers guys

Alex

It certainly makes a difference, whether you like that difference will be a matter of opinion

Comment

Well i had a light weight clutch and flywheel on my Mini Cooper S (supercharged R53 version) and i loved it! Just wondered if its worth it on the astra, ill give it ago and see!

Comment

Well i had a light weight clutch and flywheel on my Mini Cooper S (supercharged R53 version) and i loved it! Just wondered if its worth it on the astra, ill give it ago and see!

Dont know about a mini but on an Astra VXR - say byebye to your crank unless you have it reworked

Comment

Originally posted by Mattinem View Post
                Dont know about a mini but on an Astra VXR - say byebye to your crank unless you have it reworked
                dont you mean gearbox unless you have a remap to set the rpm's on tick over to about 1000RPM
                the truth is out there
                part GSI part VXR
                tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Originally posted by dannyf View Post
                  dont you mean gearbox unless you have a remap to set the rpm's on tick over to about 1000RPM
                  There is that as well, but AFAIK if you dont use the DMF on the z20leh engine it will shake the bottom end to pieces eventually as the springs on the dmf are there to take up the vibrations etc along with other functions

With a lighten flywheel you really need to resolve the idle / lumpy tickover and then have your crank balanced for one. However the rev response of a solid flywheel is immediately improved

Comment

There is that as well, but AFAIK if you dont use the DMF on the z20leh engine it will shake the bottom end to pieces eventually as the springs on the dmf are there to take up the vibrations etc along with other functions

With a lighten flywheel you really need to resolve the idle / lumpy tickover and then have your crank balanced for one. However the rev response of a solid flywheel is immediately improved
                    well its not going to kill the crank
                    the is a LEX crank and they are balanced as std spec see the holes drilled in it
                    its been in that tank of copper slip to stop any rust

the LET and LEL.LER all have counter-rotating shafts
                    by taking them out you will get about 10 to 15bhp aka free power but the engine is not as smooth/refined
                    but in a hot hatch you want power power

the std Clutch has no springs in it as this is done by the DMF
                    people have probs when they fit a SMF with a std spec clutch
                    if you want to fit a SMF then you MUST in my eyes fit a Sprung Clutch Plate as you need it
                    the truth is out there
                    part GSI part VXR

Comment

that was the case with the earlier models but not the leh engine, hence why they use the DMF in the Astra VXR AFAIK !!

and I meant the springs in the dmf, who mentioned in the clutch - plse re-read ???

Originally posted by dannyf View Post
                      well its not going to kill the crank
                      the is a LEX crank and they are balanced as std spec see the holes drilled in it
                      its been in that tank of copper slip to stop any rust

the LET and LEL.LER all have counter-rotating shafts
                      by taking them out you will get about 10 to 15bhp aka free power but the engine is not as smooth/refined
                      but in a hot hatch you want power power

the std Clutch has no springs in it as this is done by the DMF
                      people have probs when they fit a SMF with a std spec clutch
                      if you want to fit a SMF then you MUST in my eyes fit a Sprung Clutch Plate as you need it

Comment

I have had a SMF in a car when they first was out
                        and it had the std clutch it killed the gearbox
                        now that was replaced and had a new clutch put in with springs and its been fine since

the DMF is for the gearbox not the bottom end of the engine

I have done most vxl turbo lumps
                        C20
                        Z20 let,lel,ler,leh done them all
                        the LEL,LER,LEH all have DMF's fitted but the LEL and LER still have counter rotating shafts
                        the DMF is from FPT its to look after the gearbox
                        Last edited by dannyf; 29 June 2011, 11:07 PM.
                        the truth is out there
                        part GSI part VXR

Comment

ive had one fitted for quite some time with a sprung clutch plate an never had any problems with it. but like said you would need to fit a sprung clutch plate.. also you do get a rattle sound when the clutch is un-pressed from the release bearing.
                          my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, so i cant use the light weight flywheel with a standard clutch like regal sell then?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, so i cant use the light weight flywheel with a standard clutch like regal sell then?
                              you can use it but I would get a new clutch plate with springs in it I am sure they sell one
                              the truth is out there
                              part GSI part VXR

Comment

Working...
                              X