This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat Nav

Can anyone tell me if they find their sat nav to be of any use.

Im already well aware that the unit doesn't work as it was sold to me e.g Full Post Code Facility.

Today I found that it wouldnt register a road in Bath. In the end I had to use an A-Z and when I got to my destination I found that the said road was only an A road where the Royal United Hospital is situated.

Im very disapointed to say the least.

Hi Catherine, not had any major issues with mine, although doesn't recognise new roads. And I thought its self updated?.

All I can say is, that it has found all the places I went with ease. Never put in postcode, don't know where to..

johnny
    Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

Well the road today I was on has been there since Victorian times so I can't excuse the system for that.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyvxr
        Hi Catherine, not had any major issues with mine, although doesn't recognise new roads. And I thought its self updated?.

All I can say is, that it has found all the places I went with ease. Never put in postcode, don't know where to..

johnny
        Sorry but the CD70 does not self update. The map is held on the CD ROM, so if you need a road not on the CD you will need a new disk. However this is no guaratee that this will appear. I have lived at my present address for 3 years and no disk or sd card has yet got my road on it. New disks come out usually about every 6 months but this depends on the source code and mapping data from the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky

johnny
          Sorry but the CD70 does not self update. The map is held on the CD ROM, so if you need a road not on the CD you will need a new disk. However this is no guaratee that this will appear. I have lived at my present address for 3 years and no disk or sd card has yet got my road on it. New disks come out usually about every 6 months but this depends on the source code and mapping data from the manufacturer.
          As Mark said you have to wait for a new disk to be issued - but thats what put me off having a factory Sat Nav again - They wanted £120 for the update disk!
          To be honest, although not nearly as desirable, I find my chav TomTom a much more usable system
          sigpic

Comment

I really love the Vauxhall system ive had a tomtom and I think there both great!! touch screen is always good but have no issues on the tom tom and you can put Full post code into the CD70 no probs at all

Comment

how do you put postcodes into the CD70 then?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR
                Originally posted by Sparky

johnny
                As Mark said you have to wait for a new disk to be issued - but thats what put me off having a factory Sat Nav again - They wanted £120 for the update disk!
                To be honest, although not nearly as desirable, I find my chav TomTom a much more usable system

Probably a better option would be for me to go and buy a Tom Tom one. Sat Nav is vital for my busines.

Comment

Well Catherine you will need one for the Boxer!!.

However all the Sat Nav require update SD or CD's as I am not aware of any that self update. Perhaps the RAC SmartNav version may be a better option for those who want constant updates and pay for what you use type of system.

Comment

To be honest I dont need constant updates, just for it to recognise the name of a road that has been there since Victorian times and is one of the main routes into the city.

Comment

You can get updated discs from Navteq. They update annually but are always 9 months behind the 'new roads'.
                      The portable sat nav units don't update and still need updating by downoading etc....
                      Updating my little Garmin Quest costs £75 a pop and it still hasn't got a new bypass on it.

there are only a few manufacturers of the base data , Navteq is one of the biggest and supplies many of the other systems. If its not on our Navteq disc its not on the other hardware that use Navteq either.

stu

Comment

i have had the cd70 in 2 astras now and havent had many problenms with either, couldnt go without now

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine
                          To be honest I dont need constant updates, just for it to recognise the name of a road that has been there since Victorian times and is one of the main routes into the city.
                          I would be interested to know if the map actually shows it?

Comment

catherine, could you give us all the road name, just to see if all factory sat nav's are equal. Be interesting if some show it and others don't.

johnny
                            Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

That would be interesting.

To answer Mark the road is on the map.

The road name is Combe Park in Bath.

All I can pick up is Combe Grove which not knowing the area at the time could have been in a different part of town. Indeed we have an area of Bath called Combe Down and that was originally where I expected to find the road I was looking for.

Oh and by the way I can't just enter the city name of Bath. The sat nav doesn't recognise it., it is expecting you to put another character in for some reason which I also find bizarre becuase I don't have to do that with Coventry or Barnsley.

Comment

Working...
                              X