This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra Sprint at Snetterton Tuner Gp

It seems that most of you astra vxr owners are not actually aware of the capabilities of the very car you drive.
    I hope in this little piece of information I can give you a little insight into how good the Astra VXR really is.

Firstly I must point out ,that everything fitted to the Astra sprintX is avaiable for your road car.
    It is not a touring car in disguise.

Performance figures speek volumes for the car and the work that goes on at the VXR Performance Centre. We spend lots of time going places for Vauxhall ,this in itself produces VERY intense testing ,.

At Snetterton in the Tuner Grand Prix the Sprint car won its class and was chomping at the heels of some rather more expensive machinary.

Much to the Amusment of Stu Harris, he said it was supposed to be a fun day then told us we need to catch the Porsche in front.

At the Hands of Gavin Smith ,we gave it our best shot, the only adjustments we made were only to go harder with the damper settings and to raise the rear tyre pressures to add a bit more oversteer , it seemed to work in securing the class win but not to catch the Porsche.

Now for the figures 0-60 best time of 4.86 seconds,
    quarter mile in 13.66 seconds and best lap time of 1.21.9 average of 86.55.
    The engine spec was running around 285Bhp and 340 lbft, no LSD just good old fashioned Grunt.

More info to follow when people ask me some Questions.

At Snetterton I was impressed with the performance of my own car, however I feel I need to improve the handling, I have the IDS+ system which seems to do a good job going in to the corners but seriously lets itself down coming out ( Huge Understeer ) In handling terms what in your opinion is the best set up to go for by way of making changes to a standard car, can the IDS+ system be tinkered with ?

Comment

ids

Unfortunatly not much can be done elecronically at the moment,
      VXRPC have a spring package avail now, but also we have upgraded front and rear Anti roll bars which will be available in November

The car does understeer but a slight lift will bring it back in check,

Comment

Ditch it. KW V3 and you're off to the races!

Comment

no point in ditching a system you paid extra for, just tweek it a little.

if yo go on track a lot then think about adjustables , if you want a double edge sword then keep the ids ,fit uprated springs and anti roll bars, you will still have a good package and change in your pocket!

the adjustables still have a limit.

Comment

S3 is addicted to the track, i think he spends more time at his local then he does on the open road, but for him its safer that way with his speeds

Comment

I'd be amazed if simply bolting thicker arb's onto a car can get round the fact that the software that runs the IDS is not designed for UK roads.

Thicker arb's tend to cause more understeer (depending of course on their useage).

Tweaking it (imo of course) would be like trying to polish a turd

Comment

the fact that the software that runs the IDS is not designed for UK roads.
                Why is it an option here then?

Thicker arb's tend to cause more understeer (depending of course on their useage). Not always if matched with a complimentary rear bar

Tweaking it (imo of course) would be like trying to polish a turd [/quote]

Now thats a bit of a swipe at a Vxr JT, if VXL are selling them with Ids then it Has to be acceptable or Mr Harris would have cancelled it from the options list :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by davidof
                  the fact that the software that runs the IDS is not designed for UK roads.
                  Why is it an option here then?

Thicker arb's tend to cause more understeer (depending of course on their useage). Not always if matched with a complimentary rear bar

Tweaking it (imo of course) would be like trying to polish a turd
                  Now thats a bit of a swipe at a Vxr JT, if VXL are selling them with Ids then it Has to be acceptable or Mr Harris would have cancelled it from the options list :wink: [/quote]

Jesus Dave if u try to get your tounge any further up a certain ring piece ul end up with your tounge sticking out there mouth

Comment

Lol, forgotton all about this thread, calm down Dave, its all a bit of harmless fun (hence the smilie)

However, I stand by the comment on IDS, just because Opel have done it on their billard smooth German autobahns does not mean its suited to the UK's cart tracks, just because its an option does not make it a good one. However, suspension is a personal choice and what works for one person may not work for another so always best to try before you buy, I mean does Gavin have the same suspension set up as Giovanardi (sorry if I've got his name wrong)?

Fair point on ARB's but they need to be tested and developed in conjunction with one another and should not be seen as a method to get round crap suspension (which is how it looked).

Chill, IMO the Astra is nigh on the perfect hot hatch, but speccing it with (IMO) suspension which is substandard for its use (UK roads) does not do it justice. However thats me and my driving style so maynot suit everyone, hence my sugestion of comparing them before spunking down the wedge.*

How about this, we give Gavin 2 cars, one with IDS and one with KW's and set him off round Snetterton (one of the UK's smoother circuits), I bet you £10 he's 2 secs a lap faster in the KW car.

*we've done 5 cars so far from IDS to KW.........every single owner said the car was 10x better in roundabouts (the only test we can accruately offer in MK) - I'll trust their view over some marketing guy in Bremen when speccing a car.

Comment

Its good you replying John ,
                      At least it keeps the thread Active

The only thing I dont understand is why these people that spent X on IDS at car new then junk it for A very expensive alternative.

KW is Good But its not leaps ahead around a track only in My opinion,
                      but I can only drive in a straight line so Im no Judge

keep em coming

Comment

I'm so glad that a timely call to VPC saved me four hundred quid (thanks Dave). More money to spend elsewhere when the time comes

Comment

ok, couple of newbie questions

1) what is IDS? (optional stability control system from vxl? how much?)
                          2) whats KW? (aftermarket suspension setup? how much?)

thanks in advance!

maybe there should be an acronym section on the forum....

Comment

I think I can help with the first part of your question.

IDS stands for Interactive Driving System-plus (IDS-plus) with Continuous Damping Control (CDC) and is a factory fitted option on the Astra for £400. The Astra Owner's Manual makes the following statement about this option:

"IDS+ unites the sensors and control units of the Electronic Stability Programme, Anti-lock Brake System and CDC. This provides both excellent driving dynamics and greater safety."

What this means is that the damping (shock absorber) force is individually controlled at all four wheels to help keep the vehicle body as stable as possible while driving on uneven surfaces or cornering at high speeds.

However what some people are saying is that they would recommend the non-electronic suspension which is based on their knowledge about the fact that a lot of time and money was spent at Lotus fine tuning the chassis without this system.

The point is the electronic suspension (CDC) was set up for the German autobahns and not British roads. It was trialed in Germany and I think I'm right in saying that on the Opel Astra OPC (European version of the VXR) it is standard equipment. But the Astra VXR has been set up differently and trialed in Britain without CDC so to add it as an option is detriment to the performance of the car both on and off the track.

Hope that helps.

Comment

it does indeed, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X