Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X20XEV DIS vs Astra VXR's Coil-on-Plug ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X20XEV DIS vs Astra VXR's Coil-on-Plug ??

This may be a bit technical, but some input and opinions are required

Some background: I am using north-american spec X20XEV motor with steel rods and LET forged pistons. Motor is turbocharged. Target HP is about 380 + crank bhp, and combination of piggy back and boost controler are to control the setup (stock ignition setup is very similar to the one on XEV, except MAF is replaced with MAP). Ignition and fuel will be managed by Greddy E-Manage in pair with its native Profec E-01 boost controler / programmer. My question is in the discharge area. How much power will the stock DIS coil support? GM part # is identical to the one of the XEV. And uprated wires over here are about £110 and up... (Nology and Magnecor). Then, on the other hand there is the VXR's coil-on-plug arrangement. And it is my understanding it works fine till high 300's bhp.. Seems almost like a logical step to switch. Can anyone provide some technical info about the spark system from the Astra VXR? Connector pins, photo, specs (such as wasted spark). Is it the pull-down (ECM ground) or pull-up (ECM +12V) triggering system? And finally, where can I get one and for how much??

Cheers,
    Tom

Thorneyyyyyy ........................ where are ya

Comment

on holidays

Comment

God thorny must be the only ppl that know any thing about VXR/VXL.

Try
        Regal or Courtenays

~Jon at Courtenays would prob be one of the best ppl to talk to and if he dont know he will find out.

Comment

or you can ask Dave from VPC, he is pretty clued up also!
          we have a network of tuners about

Comment

I would say this kind of power and moddiing go for individual Coil on spark units.
            Vxr one is Ok but its designed for mass production, you are better off going for something else if you are using a different Engine control system.

Technical info has to be further investigated, but there are other coil units that will do the job.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. Would anyone be willing to take a photo of their coil-on-plug and post it? I am looking for the following:
              - top view (with the black VXR cover removed)
              - connector plug
              - removed photo from the side and underneath
              - shape of the cylinder head with the unit removed (to compare compatibility with the X20XEV motor)

Talking to Regal might be a bit of an issue, as I am 7 hrs behind

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Daz_vxr
                Thorneyyyyyy ........................ where are ya

it was just a joke by the way....... but nevermind

Comment

You will need to change the cam cover for the z20lel,ler,or leh as the xev has 2 posts in it to fasten the plug cover on.
                  These will foul the new coil.and you need the new cover to be able to fix the coil in,as it has threaded inserts.

Connector plug is six pin and new generation plug

Comment

Jon Sheild at Courtenays is probably the most knowledgable on this subject due to Courtenays vast experience with vauxhall's so drop him a line.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk
                    Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi XP Sporthatch in White plus extra bits.
                    Land Rover LR2 HSE

Comment

Originally posted by davidof
                      You will need to change the cam cover for the z20lel,ler,or leh as the xev has 2 posts in it to fasten the plug cover on.
                      These will foul the new coil.and you need the new cover to be able to fix the coil in,as it has threaded inserts.
                      the ZLET cover is also the same and might be easyer to get hold of.

Comment

Working...
                      X