This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VXR Time

Just thought I'd stick a quick post on here as I'm completely itching for my VXR now, and this somehow helps! I turned 21 in earlier on this month, so in Aug I ordered myself a VXR. Having lead a boring life for the past 2 years, saving up every last penny possible to take down the loan amout for an upcoming decent car, I can now just about manage it. I'v ordered most of the extras; minus the adaptive headlights, leather interior and sports exhaust. Since ordering, I've had to resort to posing as an interested customer, and blag a few more test drives from a few dealers to feed the VXR habit I have already picked up! Best insurance quote I have had so far is £1012 all in - Direct Line

I had a few questions if ppl dont mind getting back....

1. The guy told be expect up to 12 weeks for delivery... From experience, is this realistic, or could it be that he was trying to get me to buy the one in the showroom?

2. Can you turn the IDS system off? The salesman in the garage said that it 'intrudes on the drive, making it offputting', I dont know how true that is, but he kept looking at the shiny red VXR behind me and winking...

3. Is the torque steer as bad as people say? I gave the demo a few blips of course, but all were on a fairly flat, good condition road surface, so I didnt actually notice it...

Roll on VXR!

Rob

Hello mate, Good choice of car !

To question one, yes 12 weeks I would say is about the minimum wait for a new one, dodgy time of year to be ordering as well as the factory where they are made has just come back off holiday and usually has a backlog at this time of year. However its worth the wait, believe me, and if you dont, post a thread asking all the users here if its worth the wait.

To question two, your talking abou the traction control system, yes this can be switched off simply by holding in the sport button for a five second period, however you will not find this nessacary as it generally does a good job. Salesman obviously knows nothing about the car, be warned no salesmen have a clue about it, to really flumox them ask them about the sports exhaust option.

To question three, Jeremy Clarkson may have the same initials as Jesus Christ but when it comes to any mention of anything gospel ie. the truth I am afraid that that is where the similarity ends, it would of course be fair to point out that the car Mr Clarkson was allowed to drive was unfortunately not a production car and in fact was a botched together sport hatch SRi with the VXR engine, it did not have the Lotus tuned suspension that your car will have, together with his rather over enthusiastic desire to destroy anything remotely associated with Vauxhall. So, no, there is no more torque steer than you would find on any FWD car, the car can suffer from understeer but even then you would have to be driving very dangerously on a road, on a track it is simply controlled by a slight lift off the power. Even a nice bit of oversteer can be encouraged from this FWD car. Altogether a fantastic driving experience, and you can still enhance it further with a few little modifications.

[/img]

Comment

Welcome to the site. One thing I assume you want IDS+ and have looked to order it. As S3 VXR says though the traction control can be turned off as he describes. ESP is standard. The IDS is not standrd and thats why the salesman may be trying to sell you the shiny one.

However, I would not order the IDS system anyway. I think it removes you from the whole driving experience.

Comment

hi and welcome to the site you'll learn a lot on here before u get the car , ive had mine just over a wk now and waited around about 12wks which soon passes i dont think the torque steer is as bad as people say considering the power you have through the wheels , just take it easy when u get it, get used to the feel and build it up u cant kane the **** out of it anyway so do it bit by bit , u will love this car and be the envy of all ur mates and everyone who see's it get used to the idea of every man and his dog giving it the double take FANTASTIC car enjoy
        sigpic
        stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
        M.U.F.C.
        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Wow nice community here!

I have ordered the IDS+ system already :? Was that a bad idea? Hopefully, i can turn it off or maybe even change the order if it hasnt been too long - 6 weeks at present. Maybe the sales man was right in telling me not to get it!? eep! I just read what it does, and thought, 'yeah, I need that'. Has anyone else ordered the IDS+ system?

Bah I'm gutted now, going to call Vaux when I get in and see if its too late to cancel the IDS+

My mates are driving 1.8 Turbo golfs, S3's, and one guy has a 182 Trophy. They all go zipping past me on the way to meets with a middle finger and a smile. As soon as I'm tuned into the VXR and she has worn in, they are gonna get it big time!

Do you guys attend track days every now and then?

Rob

Comment

Personally I would remove the IDS option and leave as standard. It does make the car feel a little floaty at times and this may well be better on the larger heavier cars I would not have it myself. All the Astra VXR's I have driven feel just excellent when on the normal suspension. And nope you cannot turn it off.

Comment

Sorry for the double post... S3 VXR, what are these mods you mentioned?

Comment

I think he is referring to the re-maps etc. taking the car to 260-285 depending on the tuner and map and the suspension changes.

Also we have not done a soley VXR track day but there was one recently where we where invited to the VX220/tuners GP at Snetterton.

Comment

Ok Mark, I will try to get in touch with them and see what they can do. Have been browsing through this forum, and only just noticed that there is a push start button option... Might see if they want to swap it out for that... Do you think its possible to cancel IDS+ so far into the order?

Rob

Comment

it will depend on where your order currently stands, if its yet to be built you have a chance, iif its entered inot the system and on the production line, chances are no

Comment

Lunch break in 45 mins cant come fast enough. there is no signal here what so ever! Out of interest, I dont suppose you guys happen to know the prices for both the folding wing mirrors and push start system?

Rob

Comment

check out the Vxl website for VXR options list

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxfilte...oConfigurator#

Comment

well, just spoke to the dealership, they are going to see what they can do... didnt know they're build in Germany! If he can, he's gonna remove the IDS (£400) and replace with the push button (£300) so I'm £100 less in debt! Cheers for the info on IDS+!

Comment

they are actually built in Antwerp Belgium

Comment

Good luck on getting the IDS+ cancelled, I have it on mine and of all the options I added it appears to do the least. I will be ripping mine out soon and replacing the suspension with KW fully adjustable coilovers. I have seen for myself on track exactly what a difference this makes, the car goes round the corners, not understeering like the standard or IDS set up will do, lowers the car nicely as well, dont get me wrong though the standard set up is awesome as it is.
                              The modifications for your car can start at about £500 which can be a stage one remap adding 20-30 Bhp, but you want to get used to having the 240 for a start.

I have done quite a lot of track days this summer and the car performs faultlessly, as mentioned the understeer is the only problem I have encountered so far, which when fixed should improve my times by between 5-10% its that much of a difference. The next item to replace however will be the standard brakes which cope ok at the moment but when pushing even harder will not be up to the Job.

Comment

Working...
                              X