• Show
Clear All

• Not Quite an Owner Yet...

Hi guys n gals,

OK test drove

A Focus ST2
    Saburu WRX
    and the VXR

this weekend. Ruled out the WRX (far to basic and dated inside) but am very divided on the ST2 and VRX. Now I know you lot are all gonna tell me to go for the VXR but has anyone driven the ST2 as well and your constructive comments please...

I felt the ST2 was better appointed inside but I felt the VXR was more fun. Did not think the 2.5 ltr ST delivered as much punch as the VXR. I found the VXR a little throttle happy at slow speed ie when crawling in traffic with 'sport' on. What sort of MPG figures are you guys getting?

What sort of money should I be paying for an ex demo with 2500 on the clock?

Cheers guys - any help would be appreciated...

Lots of questions there crawley cruiser, It all depends upon what you actually want from a car to how you should choose between the two. I presume you will visit the ST forums as well and from my knowledge of them they are going to tell you that their car is better. The true measure of the St comes in my view from the opinions of the RS owners club who will willingly declare their disappointment of the new hot hatch from Ford, they eagerley await the true hot hatch offering rumoured to be a 3L V6 Focus, badged RS.
    I would say that it is impossible to judge a car from a one hour test drive, the sport button you referred to should not have been pressed around town. Fuel consumption again is down to you and your driving style it can vary hugely but at worst its 20MPG and at best 45MPG
    Dependent upon extras an Ex Demo with 2500 on the clock should not cost you more than 17K

In my experience and I am sure I will get the backing of many other users the ST performance wise is not in the same league as a VXR, much to the disgust of their unlimited number of owners, having a VXR which is limited build will allways be a far more exclusive option and for that reason its holding its resale value far higher than was estimated, you will have to try very hard to get that Ex demo for 17K

Good Luck with your choice

Comment

Well I'm 99% convinced on the VXR. Its a company purchase and is less money than my budget so I just have to convince my boss the he needs one on his fleet :wink:

Comment

ok i looked at these two and couldn't decide....

But in the end, the VXR is faster, looks better, is a vauxhall (had them for years with no problems), doesn't have a thirsty volvo engine, has 19"s on option, half leather standard and rarer than the focus. Oh and with a st2 you will always have someone in the local area with an st3 to pi** you off.

But then the magazines love them...

My 2p

Daz
        Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

i too plumped for the vxr and i'm glad i did u dont see many around so is always the car everyones looking at , as for fuel filled up on vpower and have done 192mls and still quarter of a tank left and thats giving it some on the m6 and m1 this wk end always liked fords in the past but sorry this car is a dream to drive and own u wont be disapointed and boy oh boy does it go like s***
          sigpic
          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
          M.U.F.C.
          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

mine has only had normal unleaded as yet, think i'm gonna treat it to a full tank of posh fuel tonight, see if it makes a difference....
            Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Originally posted by Daz5182
              mine has only had normal unleaded as yet, think i'm gonna treat it to a full tank of posh fuel tonight, see if it makes a difference....
              get the mrs/mum to do the shopping at TESCO's and spend over £50 and you'll get a voucher worth 0.05p off per litre of fuel.

Now i normally use Shell V=Power but the TESCO's 99 is cheeper and with 0.05p off its a bargin.

Comment

have tried the tesco stuff as well thats ok too , if you have a vxr u can afford the good juice i say !!
                sigpic
                stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                M.U.F.C.
                http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Go with what you hear tells ya! Whichever you get you will love, they are both quality cars.....

This forum will all be VXR the Ford will all be ST, but either choice is gonna be one of the best hot hatches around at the moment!

Comment

Lets be controversial (if i could spell it)...

Golf .:R32

Comment

Having currently got an A4 which has been the worst heap of junk I have ever owned I would NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a car from the Volkswagon/Audi group again.

Comment

have we not been here before.

Comment

Hey guys... My boss has just approved an Atsra VXR on 2 year lease hire with full maintenance! Nice guy...

So its bye bye Audi A4 and hello VXR

How long will I have to wait?

Comment

12 weeks

Comment

Id say 10 weeks
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X