X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remap but who ???

This is a really tricky one.

I am testing my wastegate rod actuator later with a proper gauge to see if it needs adjusting and hopefully sort out my pre-cat removal probs.

However i also need a remap to stage 1or 1.5 type very soon and who to choose is doing my head in

Can anyone advise etc on the best deals etc & figures.

I expect to get around 275bhp roughly with the precat removal pipe.
    What do you think ???

:? :? :?

all i can say is go to some one with a rolling road and thay now what thay are doing with it, if you are having problems get a before and after run done. i see you live in wales so its a long run i would say go to courtenay north walsham norfolk, jon is top man i had trouble with mine that i didnt now about, he even took parts of is own car to try on mine in the end got a map rote for my car from scratch that sorted things out, so i cannot prase the man enough, tms at milton keynes is also a man ive heard good things of but not used my self. as for power i would say around 265 with standed exhaust mine is 286 full exh and cat.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

just been on courtenay web site 260 bhp with normal remap with front pip 268 bhp £550 all in.

Comment

i would say the smartest thing to do is go to your closest tuner, incase you have any issues/problems (chance are low but you just never know) you dont wont to be trying to get your VXR from one end of the country to the other to have the issue sorted out if there was a problem.

Now i have a TMS tuned VXR and have nothing but high praise for the worked that has been carried out and will be going back in for more!

choice is yours, ring up all the tuners and have a chat

Comment

i also use Courtenays but not yet on the VXR.

As VXRDave said get some one with a set of rollers as it'll be able to test'd out before you come away.

Comment

You know what bothers me.

I need a stage 1 type remap.

Will i leave the replacement front pipe on or not, just dunno yet !

Also i have checked that my local superchips dealer can have the TMS maps. Yes no problem, Gr8 you might think.

However if i leave this front pipe on only TMS will remap at this elusive stage 1.5 {we will say} to optimise its fitment ? Bugger.

Ok if i remove the front pipe and refit the precat for smoother response drive and remap the car to normal stage 1 then : Do i opt for TMS stage 1 or Superchips straight map.

The superchips site shows an increase at stage 1 of 43 bhp to 281bhp
            Is TMS map then less powerful ???

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/astravxr.pdf

Comment

Sorry but you need to be talking to the tuners about this.

you also need to get it on a rolling road.

every car is diferent so every map set up will be different.

Comment

look mate i think if i was u i would get my self up to tms with the front pipe on and let john have a look some thing tells me your not happly so let tms sort it for you . not sure about those power claims.

Comment

I had a question related to mapping, so this might be best in here as opposed to starting a new thread....

I am thinking when my Astra is delivered, I'm gonna give it a month or two, then give it more power. Done a lot of reading about it through this forum, and tuners websites. I think i will go with TMS as I am not too far away from them. When ordering the astra, I decided not to go with the exhaust after destroying my SXi with tacky aftermarked crap - this car will be a quiet one, so I can sneak past police_drivers

After looking at the performance increase gains, I would like to go with the precat replacement pipe, and then the map. So the question is, will the precat make the exhaust noise any louder, and if so, is it especially noticable?

Cheers

Comment

I would be interested to Know that, I suspect however it will increase the noise, more pops on the changes and perhaps a slight burble.

Comment

i would probably agree with Stu (S3) as by removing the pre cat you are derestricting the movement of exhasut gases, the pre cat appears to be the most restrictive part on the standard system, let us know how you get o.

Comment

Originally posted by rflowers
                        I think i will go with TMS as I am not too far away from them.
                        Cheers
                        Shock horror someone going with TMS because it's convienient to them

Now theres a thing

Comment

Originally posted by S3 VXR
                          I would be interested to Know that, I suspect however it will increase the noise, more pops on the changes and perhaps a slight burble.
                          Ok i have done just this !!!

The precat removal pipe was on for 1 week & my observations are :

Yes there is an increase in noise from the engine compartment and from the exhaust rear section. This would really be expected to be honest as extra flow is hitting the cat and the resultant backpressure exiting the exhaust is greatly increased.

In general however my car felt less responsive off the throttle but did feel as if more powerful when boost was on line so to speak. {except high up in rev range where it felt a bit limp}

At present i am still deciding what to do about this front pipe and remap etc etc.

However on a noise basis it is not really an increase that would put you off fitting the front pipe. I am just not sure that i like a pop or bang everytime i change gear under acceleration and the occasionally bang that i think what the hell was that !!! etc etc.

lol

Comment

Im glad you posted that Wayne, I was going to copy and past over from SRi, you seem a little unsure about it all ? Is it an improvement ? Is it worth doing ?

Comment

Originally posted by S3 VXR
                              Im glad you posted that Wayne, I was going to copy and past over from SRi, you seem a little unsure about it all ? Is it an improvement ? Is it worth doing ?
                              I just do not know !!!

Yes in some aspects & i guess with a remap it would probably come into its own.

I am debating this myself ???

I just wish i could test my car remapped with and without the replacement pipe.

Either way though i want a remap next week.

Hope the Tuners can fit me in etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X