X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda RX8 owner enquiry

Hi folks,

Seriously considering moving to the Astra VXR .... I've seen some posts on here which suggest that fuel consumption isn't great ... trust me after the RX8 even 25MPG would be a major improvement. And a litre of oil every 3 or 4 fuel fills makes a 3000 mile oil-change seem very cost-effective

So my question: Have any of you moved from a rear-wheel drive car to the VXR's front wheel drive, and is torque steer a problem? I have heard mixed messages and it seems Vauxhall have applied some jiggery-pokery which has minimised the effect.

Test drive next week ... quite excited at the prospect!

Thanks

Matt

The fuel consumption on the Astra is actually very good.

Driven hard I got 25 but mainly saw 27 with driving cross country. Throw some motorways in and 31 was seen frequently.

Comment

Hi, i feel it my duty to reply to this post.

I had an RX-8 from new. Nice car to drive but the fuel consumption was quite frankly pothetic. Even when you drive the bloody things slow they use stupid amounts of fuel. My rx-8 was problem after problem.

The main issue i had with buying the VXR was the front wheel drive. But rest assured the torque steer is almost non-existent when driven properly. The slippery rear end on the rx-8 is much more of a problem than the front wheel drive on the VXR. I feel alot more confident round fast corners in the VXR.

As for fuel all i can say for the VXR is WOW!! now some people may wonder what im on about but coming from the RX-8 the VXR seems SOOOO economic. I use litteraly a third of the amount in the VXR. If you leave sport mode off and drive sensibly it is very economic and thats the good thing about it, but even with sport mode on and going for it the VXR still uses considerably less that the RX-8 going slowly.The Difference really is amazing.

Believe me on this one get rid of that Mazda and get the VXR. Once you get one you'll wonder why you didnt get it sooner. It's just so much more fun to drive.

Hope this helps,

Ben.

Comment

Hi Matt and welcome, I was so close to buying an RX8 and Im still jealous of you now, I just love the styling, but I could not get over how weak the engine seemed to feel, got quite excited at the thought of the special edition PZ but then it didnt really come to much as far as performance goes, was allways concerned about its fuel and oil consumption but could bare that for the styling it just needs more power.
        The front wheel drive experience is different, but having had plenty of track time I have never felt for even a second that I was not in control completely, no chance of getting the tail out ! The Torque steer issue so well publicised by Clarkson is near enough non existent and certainly no different to any FWD car, the car JC drove was not a production car, production did not begin until October last year and the Top gear programme aired last July, the car they had did not have the Lotus Tuned suspension, it did have the engine but it was simply mounted to an SRi sport hatch. The car suffers from understeer when pushed to track limits, on the road however the TC takes care of everything nicely. The understeer easily remedied by a quick lift off the power and if you have pots of cash to spare installing fully adjustable coilovers remedies the situation nicely. The fuel consumption varies hugely I have seen 49MPG I have seen 8mpg but on average 25mpg should be easily achievable. The biggest difference you are going to find between the two cars is the astonishing power difference coming at you in huge bursts and the noise of a proper engine that needs an oil change according to the manuafacturer every 20000 miles. Good Luck on your test Drive !!!

Comment

Re: Mazda RX8 owner enquiry

Originally posted by matt2e
          Hi folks,

Seriously considering moving to the Astra VXR .... I've seen some posts on here which suggest that fuel consumption isn't great ... trust me after the RX8 even 25MPG would be a major improvement. And a litre of oil every 3 or 4 fuel fills makes a 3000 mile oil-change seem very cost-effective

So my question: Have any of you moved from a rear-wheel drive car to the VXR's front wheel drive, and is torque steer a problem? I have heard mixed messages and it seems Vauxhall have applied some jiggery-pokery which has minimised the effect.

Test drive next week ... quite excited at the prospect!

Thanks

Matt
          MOVED UP FROM A RWD SAFF COSWORTH ALTHO STILL GOT IT PARKED UP IN A GARAGE.

TORQUE STEER SEEMS MINIMAL EVEN WITH THE TRACTION OFF , FUEL WISE AS HARDAS I TRY WE CANT GET OVER 250MILES TO A FULL TANK

DRIVE IT HARD AND THE GAUGE GOES DOWN RAPIDLY, BUT SAYING THAT YOU DONT GET A PERFORMANCE CAR FOR THE FUEL ECONOMY

Comment

Thanks folks .... confidence increased no end!

RX8 great car but a few too many concessions to be made ... looking forward to being able to move the car on the drive without a quick 'run around the block' if I want to avoid the RX8 stalling issue.

I'll let you know how the test drive goes .... anyone want to buy an RX8?

Cheers

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt2e
              Thanks folks .... confidence increased no end!

RX8 great car but a few too many concessions to be made ... looking forward to being able to move the car on the drive without a quick 'run around the block' if I want to avoid the RX8 stalling issue.

I'll let you know how the test drive goes .... anyone want to buy an RX8?

Cheers

Matt
              Brings back the memories with the not starting issue. They shouldnt be aloud to produce the car with that engine, it just hasnt been engineered well enough. So many problems and so uneconomic. If only toyota or Nissan etc made the car with a normal engine. Could be such a good car.

Comment

Ben said

Brings back the memories with the not starting issue. They shouldnt be aloud to produce the car with that engine, it just hasnt been engineered well enough. So many problems and so uneconomic. If only toyota or Nissan etc made the car with a normal engine. Could be such a good car.
                I think the not starting problem was the payoff for so much power from such a small unit. What was good was very good but the payoff has finally become too great and the VXR seems so much better than just a compromise.

Plus you are so right about the slippery back end of the Mazda as stated in your earlier post... but I really enjoyed that bit of the package and it was so easy to kick it back onto the straight and narrow. Could make Joe Public nervous though when one was pulling away enthusiatically :wink:

Cheers

Matt

Comment

I've not reset the avg fuel since i got the car, so it show's an average over 9850 miles of both town and motorway driving......31.0mpg

Comment

over a full tank of fuel i've not got below 32 mpg, bit less than my old GSi but not by much.
                    Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Working...
                    X