X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astra vxr panel filter

hi guys

just wondering if anyone has put in a replacement panel filter into their astra vxr (i.e k+n or pipercross) and if so had any probs??and does anyone recommend doing it??any help much appreciated.

p.s was at silverstone on sunday and parked in vxr car park,a truly awesome sight to see all those cars.

thanks

nick.

i have one in mine no problems.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

i have the oe pannel filter and replace every few thousand miles, seen results from dyno testing and a performance filter doesnt make any difference in actual performance, a mag carried out a test and found that oe paper filters changed regularly gave a better result than a cotton oiled performance filter, but you have to change the oe filter more regularly than clean the oiled ones, just remember to oil sparingly as the AMM doesnt like to be coated in oil which may cost you £100 plus to replace

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie
        i have the oe pannel filter and replace every few thousand miles, seen results from dyno testing and a performance filter doesnt make any difference in actual performance, a mag carried out a test and found that oe paper filters changed regularly gave a better result than a cotton oiled performance filter, but you have to change the oe filter more regularly than clean the oiled ones, just remember to oil sparingly as the AMM doesnt like to be coated in oil which may cost you £100 plus to replace
        where do you get them from aussie ?
        sigpic
        stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
        M.U.F.C.
        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

what the oe paper filters?
          about £5 from a vxl dealer

Comment

cheers aussie being a bit thick :? didnt know what they where
            sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

no worries mate

Comment

Have considered getting a K&N Induction Kit but for the moment have not done! Paid for my private reg first.

Anyone got a K&N Induction on theirs????

Andy

Comment

if you are considering getting one then go for the apollo and not the open cone varient, the most you will notice is an increase in induction noise and possibly an improvement in throttle response

Comment

Am I right in thinking the Apollo is a universal item - with an additional hose kit (size being specific to the VXR) needed for fitment? Shane - what kinda price are K&N knocking these out for and what (if any) gains can be attained from one?

Comment

the apollo will set you back about £150 and there is one specific for the VXR which will attach to the standard airpipe, it does come with a flexible intake hose but in all honesty there is not alot of room to run it so many are attaching the oe induction pipe to it,
                      performance gains, not alot actually, the most you will probably notice is a slight improvement in throttle response if your running the standard map and increase in induction noise, i would recommend the standard airbox in all honesty and replacing the oe panel filter regular or a performance panel filter with minimal oil if you really wont to replace with something!

Comment

Point 1.
                        I have a CS foam filter fitted and its fine. Cost about £30.00 and was in the Zaf so i only paid for 1.

Point 2.
                        K'n'N 57i cone type filters. Mmmm. i might be wrong but on the ZLET did these not have a detrimantal effect on the MAF (AMM) by causeing a disruption to the air flow over the foil thus causing them to tear and fail. Does the ZLEH not use the same MAF sensor as the ZLET. may be one of the tuners could put us right on this matter.

Point 3.
                        Aussie i see your saying the OEM paper filter is £5.00 from a dealer and that you replace it every few 000k but this is not the most cost effective of mods. i know its cheep but what about the environment tuned cars get a lot of blame for the polution in this country and by changint the paper filter that often cant be environmentaly friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c
                          [size=6]Point 1.[/size

Point 3.
                          Aussie i see your saying the OEM paper filter is £5.00 from a dealer and that you replace it every few 000k but this is not the most cost effective of mods. i know its cheep but what about the environment tuned cars get a lot of blame for the polution in this country and by changint the paper filter that often cant be environmentaly friendly.

now for me thats approx 5000 miles, approx once, maybe twice a year it is changed, the oem filter is "paper" so can be broken down or even recycled as dunny paper so i dont see that being a major environmental issue and seeing as i drive my car on the weekends (not every) and walk daily to and from work i could be considered by some environmentaly friendly

now for performance i believe the paper filter is more permeable than say a foam filter saturated with oil, which in turn will allow more air to penetrate through the the papar than the oil filled foam, i actually encountered a problem using a foam performance airfilter on a 4x4 TD i had back in Aus, following having the ECU mapped i started encountering the engine to loose power under boost, when i took it back they found the amount of air being sucked into the induction was actually compressing the foam and blocking off a sufficient amount of air to enter the engine, inturn the ecu was compensating for this and the pwer was decreased, a simple replacement back to a standard paper filter sorted out the problem and recent tests i have read carried out on different ranges of air filters have put the oem paper filters at the top.

Comment

i think this could be some thing for one of the guys with the rolling road to check out may be thorny, there are lots of filters out there and it would be good to now if thay are no use, ive seen things that would sugest that with a modded engine thay do make more power, weres on as sd motor thay dont, i would not exp tham to test them all but as one from each type would not be to hard, as most of the tuners do sell them. i spent 29.95 on my panel but if you as the viper at 250 now that is alot of cash for some thing that dosnt work and how can thay claim gains if there are none. just a idea what do you think.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

here you go, some independent tests of paper filters and peformance foam and cotton

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2232/article.html

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

i say make your own decision as its your money but myself i have stuck with the oem paper filter as i feel the performance foam does not make any major power gains and from personel expereince on my tuned TD, the performance foam filter caused me issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X