This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste gate chatter?

Had the vxr for 3 months now and loving it, just the one problem.

At about 2500 miles my car started to "chatter" when i came off boost, just like wrc car's but obviously not quite as loud. I know that this is caused by the closing of the throttle forcing air back through the turbo housing and hitting the blades, effectively "turbo stall".

Just wondered if i was the only one as i haven't seen it mentioned on the forums before?

any input would be much appreciated, cheers

i had this problem, the car was down on power aswell, traced the fault to the oe dump valve. the rubber had split quite badly, luckily i have two spare vxr turbos so i swapped them over. i will post a picture later of it.

luke
    sigpic

Comment

Not heard of this before

did you get any pics luke.

Have you spoken to VXL about this are one of the tuners.

Comment

You will get what is called waste gate chatter (though its actually the turbo stalling rather than the waste gate chattering), which a warbling sound if there is a leak on the trigger hose to the factory reticulating dump valve. The trigger pipe runs from the air con pump side, off the turbo around under the air box over the top of the alternator then diagonally down the back off the block to a solenoid valve. Trace this pipe around they normally come undone at the solenoid block or where the feed from the solenoid block goes down to a black vacuum storage capsule (a black rectangular block just a bit bigger than a packet of cigarettes) , that has 2 vacuum connectors on it. You will most likely find one of these has come disconnected. Push it back on this should cure your problem. If it comes off repeatedly use a little super glue on the connection, this will hold it.

Hope this helps good luck.
        Jon
        sigpic
        29 Years as Vauxhall Tuners

Comment

Put her up on the ramps on Saturday and nothing seems to be faulty, also took her to crail yesterday and ran a 14.4 so i dont think she is down on power.

I will go in past vauxhall anyway just to be sure.

Thanks for the info Jon, i will have another look tonight. Do you think the car will be losing power because of this?

Im aware that turbo stall can lead to premature turbo failure, but it does sound cool just like my unces old cossie.

Thanks again
          Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c
            Not heard of this before

did you get any pics luke.

Have you spoken to VXL anout this are one of the tuners.
            yes i did will post them when i get home this evening.
            sigpic

Comment

here is some pics of my oe dv diaphram (sp) sorry about the size quality as took them quick off my phone

luke
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X