This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emission light. Help!

Hi guys was giving the car a good clearing out last night.
    The weather was cold and normally the car would have a boost of power up to 5k ish but it just kept going.
    It almost felt like a different engine it just kept pulling and pulling must of been the cold air. When i looked down the revs had gone into the red and the orange emissions light started flashing.
    The engine was really rough and sounded knackerd with that the emission light stopped flashing and stayed on so i nursed it home.
    The drive was really lumpy i thought the turbo was blown or something, on getting it home i turned the engine off and back on and everything was back to normal. Anyone know what this is all about.
    Only mod is VPC re map.

Re: Emission light. Help!

Originally posted by JONBOY
    Hi guys was giving the car a good clearing out last night.
    The weather was cold and normally the car would have a boost of power up to 5k ish but it just kept going.
    It almost felt like a different engine it just kept pulling and pulling must of been the cold air. When i looked down the revs had gone into the red and the orange emissions light started flashing.
    The engine was really rough and sounded knackerd with that the emission light stopped flashing and stayed on so i nursed it home.
    The drive was really lumpy i thought the turbo was blown or something, on getting it home i turned the engine off and back on and everything was back to normal. Anyone know what this is all about.
    Only mod is VPC re map.
    Did the limiter kick in or not, you may have heard it but you would certainly have felt it ?

Comment

Give VPC a call Jon and speak to Tony or Dave about it. It sounds like your car went into "limp home" mode. You might want to check with your dealer by giving them the VIN number to see if your car is affected by the wrong spark plugs issue.

Comment

Yeah ok i will do that. Yeah im sure the limiter did kick in but the revs got there so quick!
        Whats this issue with the wrong plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by JONBOY
          Yeah ok i will do that. Yeah im sure the limiter did kick in but the revs got there so quick!
          Whats this issue with the wrong plugs?
          The wrong plugs issue is down to the Gap which as you know has to be precise, a batch were fitted that were found to be ever so slightly out and are repalced for free by your dealer, it isnt a recall as such but if you go back to your dealer he can check if your car was amongst those affected. It does sound very much like a plug problem though !!!

Comment

Ok i will do that thanks.

Comment

What do you mean a boost to 5k, mine keeps going up to 7? Are the new models affected by this - 56 plates?

Comment

The car with VPC re map will pull hard up to 5k but then start backing off so you might as well change gear as peak power has gone.
                But the other night it was only 1 degrees c outside and the car went crazy just kept pulling and pulling up into the red!
                I guess it's the cold air and this is how it would feel with an intercooler kit.

Comment

I also understood that if you were wanted max acceleration you should always change at the rev limit because the revs will drop right back in at the peak power, if you change at 5000 you will drop the revs too much when going into the next gear and hence not getting max power.

Comment

The fault could have been the denser air nocking the spark out.

we have seen it a few times but the Ecu resets when you turn the ignition off and on if its been a momentery blow out.

The new plugs usually fix it with a smaller gap, but not all cars will repeat the fault.

we saw it on a non remapped car but with Front mount intercooler in cool air tests.

your Ecu will have recorded the fault and logged which rpm it happened at.

One other thing is the car is sensative to low fuel loads and it is recommended never to run a VXR low on fuel, the guages can be very inacurate. the sprint car goes bone dry on quarter of a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by davidof
                      ...the guages can be very inacurate. the sprint car goes bone dry on quarter of a tank.
                      Yeah but the poor gauge in that car can't keep up...that car is fast!!!

I have had a "blip" when on low fuel when "going for it" down a duel carriage way with sport on. I just backed off and drove slower the rest of the way home. Not had any problems since either. (phew!)

Comment

Working...
                      X