This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TYRES AND NITROGEN?

Does anybody use nitrogen in their tyres instead of compressed air ?
    HeavenlyDetail
    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

no but you can get it from Tweeks

its suposed to be loads better

might see about it if i get a set of track day boots for the summer.

Comment

I've heard a lot about using nitrogen in tyres on the Jay Leno Garage site. For those who don't know, the advantage is that nitrogen doesn't expand with climbing heat. So the tyres always stay with the same optimum pressure.
      sigpic

Comment

Yea the main benefits are obviously compressed air has water in it and will penetrate the side wall 3 times quicker than nitrogen...therefore hardly any psi loss..
        HeavenlyDetail

Comment

is it exspensive ? and it aint exsplosive is it ?
          sigpic
          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
          M.U.F.C.
          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

look here

but Demon tweeks do it but cant find it on their web site.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NITROGEN-TYRE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

well if ferrari use it on f1 cars reckon its safe
              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Its used on RAF fighter a/c as well.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

For me thats one mod too far, compressed air itself will contain 71% nitrogen which when heated will expand, seems some tweeking company may be having a laugh on their way to the bank with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by S3 VXR
                    For me thats one mod too far, compressed air itself will contain 71% nitrogen which when heated will expand, seems some tweeking company may be having a laugh on their way to the bank with this one.
                    NOPE!!

Why fill my tyres with Nitrogen?
                    Why would you want to do this? The benefits of Nitrogen filling are as follows:

Improved comfort of ride
                    Improved safety
                    Increased fuel savings
                    Improved life of tyre
                    Nitrogen has long been the accepted gas medium for filling aircraft tyres, racing tyres and heavy mining and construction vehicle tyres. Nitrogen is used for safety reasons and to ensure that tyres are always at a constant pressure. Compressed air, the traditional medium for inflating car tyres, contains both oxygen (21%) and nitrogen (78%).
                    The rubber tyre is like a membrane, through which oxygen permeates three times faster than the nitrogen. The result is that the oxygen slowly leaks out through the rubber walls, and the under-inflation leads to higher tyre wear with a consequent decrease in safety and comfort, and higher fuel costs. :wink:
                    HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc
                      Are you sure they use it. I'm a big Ferrari/Schumacher fan and watch every qual and race. I always hear guys in F1 talking about how the pressure is low in the beginning and rises when the tires warm up. That wouldn't happen if they had nitrogen.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maxell
                        Originally posted by vxrmarc
                        Are you sure they use it. I'm a big Ferrari/Schumacher fan and watch every qual and race. I always hear guys in F1 talking about how the pressure is low in the beginning and rises when the tires warm up. That wouldn't happen if they had nitrogen.
                        The three-liter 10-cylinder engine in Mr. Schumacher's 1,200-pound race car puts out at least 900 horsepower — the exact figure is a company secret. A typical midsize car puts out less than a quarter of the power and weighs three times as much. Nitrogen fills the tires of Formula One cars. The gas is more stable than regular air and helps keep the tire pressure steady even as the tire temperature rises. Tires are preheated to 185 degrees Fahrenheit so they'll get sticky and grip the track better

Top F1 pit crews can refuel and change tyres in around 3 seconds.
                        Race car tyres don't have air in them like normal car tyres. Most racing tyres have nitrogen in the tyres because nitrogen has a more consistent pressure compared to normal air. Air typically contains varying amounts of water vapour in it, which affects its expansion and contraction as a function of temperature, making the tyre pressure unpredictable.
                        During the race the tyres lose weight! Each tyre loses about 0.5 kg in weight due to wear.
                        At ~ 350 mm wide, F1 tyres are much wider than normal tyres (~185 mm wide).
                        Normal tyres last 60 000 - 100 000 km. Racing tyres are designed to last 90 - 120 km.
                        HeavenlyDetail

Comment

thats it then gonna get mine done only 20 min's away and for a tenner for all 4 thats a bargain if it saves me buying tyres every year
                          sigpic
                          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                          M.U.F.C.
                          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

:wink:
                            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Actually the F1 cars today have V8 engines, and they have less horsepower than the V10 they had before. Also, the time that takes to refuel is not 3 sec, it all depends of course on the amount of fuel they put it. The average being about 8 seconds.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X