X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking sensors have blind spots

I found out to my annoyance.

Parking at work there are metal barriers which start at just above the rear bumper level (about 1 inch over) and are around 3 inches in height.

As normal I reversed into a spot, quite slowly I might add as I am careful, beeps got quicker and quicker but rather than the continuous tone I was waiting for I got a thud instead...my heart sank.

Luckily I was going slow so there is only a slight indentation/mark on the bumper but its the sort that won't come out with T-cut.

When I got home I left the engine off but the ignition on and put it in reverse, then started to wave my hand around each parking sensor, thinking one might be broke. Nope all working fine. But I did find there are definite blind spots where it does not pick things up.

Just a warning, be very careful and don't always assume the sensors will be 100% accurate.

Very interesting....This is the fourth car that i have had parking sensors on and I have never come across parking sensors with blind spots before. A friend of mine had a Primera with a parking camera that had blind spots so I guess anything is possible!

Comment

Shame about the bump, but its for this sort of reason that I think parking sensors are a huge waste of money.

Learn how big the car is, far to risky trusting them.

And the noise.

My wife has them on her Signum, beep beep beep, bloody annoying things, and you pay extra for them !!!!

Comment

I disagree, parking sensors are a great invention, and my personal experience is that they work very well. Yes you still have to take care especially when reversing near low walls etc. But I've had parking sensors on cars for 3 years now and I have totally relied on them and they didn't let me down. Nothing is foolproof but they are as near as you can get!

Comment

Originally posted by M3power
          I disagree, parking sensors are a great invention, and my personal experience is that they work very well. Yes you still have to take care especially when reversing near low walls etc. But I've had parking sensors on cars for 3 years now and I have totally relied on them and they didn't let me down. Nothing is foolproof but they are as near as you can get!
          Totally agree with ya power
          HeavenlyDetail
          Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Personally I have parking sensors and I see them as an aid, nothing more. To me the whole idea is that they provide an indication, as best they can, to what is behind you. Ultimately when reversing you as the driver are the one making the decision as to whether something is behind you, how close you are, and whether you are going to hit it or not.

Similar to cruise control I think it can be an addition that people are too easily accepting that it will do what you should manually - therefore detracting from the driving experience/responibility and therefore all too easy to blame the technology. At end of the day this is a parking 'aid' nothing more, you are still responsible for being aware of where you are parking and what is around you and whether or not the parking 'aid' can see the obstablces.... - look in mirrors, and at worst get out and take a look.

Comment

Working...
            X