X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with burning oil smell in cabin

Hi All

I have done 850 miles in 3 weeks.when i drive the car from cold and stop at a T jct i get a smell of burning oil through the heater controls this only lasts about 5 seconds,and only when the car is cold and not when the car is hot.
    At first it did not worry as i thought some one had spilt some oil. but this can not be the case as i have now done 850 miles.

I have had a good luck round the engine bay and cant see any oil leaks.

PS I always let the car warm up before driving it hard.

Thanks Mark

I've heard a post about this before? Think it might just be a dirty engine bay or something, do a search it might come up with something and take it back to the dealers.
    Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Mark, i had exaclty the same issue with mine up until around 2k. No sign of leaks and engine not using oil. got 8k on clock now and no smell at all. Just keep an eye on it and if in doubt burn it

Comment

Are you sure its not just the wax oil burning off, as it can take couple of K's to burn off.

Comment

Yep I have the same smell only from cold as yours, however just coming up to 4k and it seems to be going now

Comment

Mark - what do you mean by wax oil? Sorry but as you know i'm not an engine/car techie so not sure what you mean.

Going back to thread, never had this myself but trust the comments posted so sure it will pass .

Comment

engines are sprayed with a waxy oil like laquer when they leave the factory to stop any oxidation and to make all the hoses appear shiny.

over the first couple of months most of this will burn off.

think back to the old red top xe engines in cavaliers and astra gte's. they always had a yellow slimy substance on the rocker covers. this was excessive waxoil from the factory that had set like glass.

im glad vaux decided against using that much now, cos i like a clean engine and cleaning them old motors was a nightmare.
              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Its oil residue in the exhaust side of the turdo, it happens when car new or new turbo fitted , its the oil burning offf in the exhaust, its nothing to worry about and happens usually on idle.

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for all your help.

If it is oil burning off in the exhaust why dose it not do it all the time and how is the smell getting into the heater fan ? (i would think the smell would exit via the exhaust ?)

logic made me think it should do it when the engine is hot and not when its cold ??

Comment

Originally posted by regaltang
                    Hi All

Thanks for all your help.

If it is oil burning off in the exhaust why dose it not do it all the time and how is the smell getting into the heater fan ? (i would think the smell would exit via the exhaust ?)

logic made me think it should do it when the engine is hot and not when its cold ??
                    If davidof says it is then i would take his word for it.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

As the car idles the oil doesnt drain away as quick and over flows the rings(seals in the Turbo) it can only be a drop ,its enough to cause a smell, the heater just pics up the smell as the smell passes through the exhaust , dont know why but it happens on the sprint car regular, remember no sound proofing etc so its more prominent.

We have pushed the car hard like this and not had any issues.

Comment

Thanks david Its good to know i have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                        X