This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stone chips

anyone the sane as me the front o the car is covered in stone chips don't think it should be as bad as this anyone had anything done about it.

Re: stone chips

Originally posted by alan burnett
    anyone the sane as me the front o the car is covered in stone chips don't think it should be as bad as this anyone had anything done about it.
    have they been gritting your area recently?

Comment

I was petrified about this as many on here have complained about the same. I have covered 1200 miles now and not one single mark ANYWHERE on the car, whatsoever. And I should know as it gets cleaned (dry wiped) every day. I do not motorway drive and rarely use A roads though, mostly town and country for me. Oh and central London!

Comment

the car has bean off the road for 2 months now cos the the way the pant has bean over the summer .

Comment

I noticed a chip on the very top of my hood, near one of the wipers. It wasn't there the first time I cleaned and I discovered the second time I cleaned the car. It's a strange place, but it must have been quite a big stone. That's the only one so far on my 1300 km that I have driven.
          sigpic

Comment

I've got the same problem, Don;t know if its specific to arden blue but the front of mine looks a mess, chips everywhere! and this is despite taking the usual precuations to avoid getting chips in the first place.

I know someone who's an accident repair painter and he said that VXL put hardly any lacquer on these days so that probably explains it. TMS also told me that VXL will sometimes do a courtesy respray for you if you've done less than 1000 miles and the car's a mess. Suggest's VXL aren't 100% confident in their paint quality.

Has anyone got any experience of paint sticks or paint shields, i know with some touch up paints you can make the situation worse (that might be operator error actually)

Comment

Originally posted by Pininfarina22
              I've got the same problem, Don;t know if its specific to arden blue but the front of mine looks a mess, chips everywhere! and this is despite taking the usual precuations to avoid getting chips in the first place.

I know someone who's an accident repair painter and he said that VXL put hardly any lacquer on these days so that probably explains it. TMS also told me that VXL will sometimes do a courtesy respray for you if you've done less than 1000 miles and the car's a mess. Suggest's VXL aren't 100% confident in their paint quality.

Has anyone got any experience of paint sticks or paint shields, i know with some touch up paints you can make the situation worse (that might be operator error actually)
              i think if the car is still new, the colour wont have faded, so a touch up paint may be ok, but i have used a chipstick in the past, and i might as well have used nail polish,it was horrible.

If the chip is down to metal, you may want to get some sort of treatment on it (whether its new paint, or a rust inhibitor) you dont want the bonnet to start corroding

Comment

Mine too, iv`e got loads on the bonnet and a couple on the front wings. Not very happy, the cars only 4 months old and iv`e got more on this than any of my other cars iv`e had in the past put together!

Comment

Already been in touch with Stu Harris about this one!

It appears that the Arden Blue is more susceptable to chipping than say the the Silver paint. I am still seriously agrieved that a £20000 car should suffer in this way!
                  I have stone chips on the forward edge of the roof and bonnet.

I do not tend to drive my car very fast (50 year old in mid-life crisis)
                  It is a poor reflection on current high cost Vauxhalls, when I have owned various other Vauxhalls in the past and never suffered the same paint chipping problems.
                  I have suggested that if the requirement for Paintshield (film) type material was made standard on all VXR's, it could be done at a significantly lower cost than the private car owner would pay. On a £20000 car this increase in cost would be easily justified. Some retrospective action by Vauxhall would be welcomed.

Comment

Im stunned, I really have nothing at all mark wise on the car. Mine is blue also.

Comment

police_driver...are you in Reading?

yours looks suspiciously like one i see just about everyday...by reading police station

Comment

i got a stone chip after 50 miles on my wing, after that i haven't had onther and i've covered near 4k now. I think the paint is very soft so i drive accordingly, keep well back.
                        Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

For paintshield querie pm vxrdave as he has half bonnet and front valance i believe...

http://www.xpeleu.com/showroom.php (hope this is ok dave ..pm me and i will remove if not)

They now do a full front end which consists of front bumper , front wings upto door and full bonnet...

approx cost for this will be approx £700 to £900 with carclub discount ...(i believe)

I would recommend full bonnet simply for the reason that you will not see film end across bonnet but car must be clayed thoroughly to achieve best results...

Have been speaking to paintshield over last few months about having mine done full frontal but have decided not to simply that i am worried about the clarity and depth of shine when i do a full zymol treatment on car when it turns up....

They will state that you can wax over the film and it has 5 year warranty against yellowing , splitting , fade etc and i totally believe them but i am incredibly fussy and feel it would always niggle me....
                          HeavenlyDetail
                          Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Not me in Reading

Comment

My car had only done 5000 miles and not hard driving but the bonnet was looking really marked up for a £20k car.

Now the nice paintshield people will tell you all modern water based paints will stone chip very easily even on porsches, and we must all run out and pay them £700 for top quality 3m plastic sheets stuck all over our cars to maintain appearance.

After discovering some dents in my bonnet I had my bonnet repsrayed by a VAG approved body shop and guess what no more stonechipping.

Much better investment of £200 and not a ringing endorsement of VX paint quality. The bodyshop guys had tested the depth of original paint and said it was very thin (but also the black pearlescent was a pig to match!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X