X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps!

Hi guys, another reader but small poster

I have a dilemma

Which stage 1 do I go for. You have vxrp, Courtney, thorney and regal (my choices) Now the first 3 will give me pretty much the same power but regal will give me around 280bhp from just the stage 1 compared to the others 260-265.

All i care about is getting peak performance without destroying the life span of my engine. Now is 280 that limit or is 260 that limit. Regal say that their eds software has been used on a number of vxr's with no problems (guy called Paul, very nice to speak to) and that the software is just more aggressive than most.

I guess what would be good is if the other company's came on and explained why they don't go this high.

What does everyone else think on the situation?

EDIT* We can exclude Courtney. I read a post from them earlier about their maps
    sigpic

can of worms !

I would highly recommend that you go to your nearest tuner.....
    That way, should anything go wrong (although unlikely) you have the shortest trip to go back and get it rectified.

This also avoids the whos better and best and all that malarkey !
    tuner talk: "Just get out and drive the damn things !!!"
    The truth is out there ...

Comment

Hi ldargavel,

From little I know EDS maps are more aggressive but it depends on what you want. I don't think you'll get the answer you're looking for either as no-one can say, "yeah I've tried all the maps and x is best". Even then it would just be their opinion and you might not agree!

There are 3 types of map to choose from; EDS, SuperChips and TMS' modified SuperChips map.

I don't know what the SuperChip maps are like but I love the EDS map that I got from the VXR PC. Regal use a similar map although I believe they tweak it. I don't know what power it is running as in the early days (April this year) the power output was coming out low (~260bhp) whereas now stage 2 cars are producing ~280bhp.

Personally though, I don't think there is much difference between the maps. Afterall, all tuners will eventually get the peak output from a stage 1 as they develop the map, it is just how they deliver that power that sets the maps apart. Person choice.

You'll be extermely happy with a remap...completely different beast then!!

Comment

Well the nearest is Thorney and I'm very impressed with their warranty and problems guarantee. The last thing I wanted was "My maps better than yours" I'd just like to know why there is such a difference.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm....difference? Where did you get the 260bhp from? A stage 2 that has a full Milltek is supposed to give an extra 15bhp and most of those are at 280bhp. So a stage 1 should, in theory anyway, give upmost 275bhp. I can keep up easily with a staged 2 car...but the difference can be seen in the levels of torque though. Still, not much in it.

Figures all depend on what the car had to begin with, the conditions on the rolling road extra...yet another can of worms!!

Your best bet is to give each of the tuners a ring. VXR PC and TMS are the only people you haven't spoken to right? Give them a call and speak to them. I know it's difficult as I had the same trouble back in April!

Comment

All the Tuners peak figures will be similar give or take a few BHP / nm

some produce a more aggresive map, but you should have a choice from what to pick , VXRPC have 5 versions for stage 1 depending on your Driving .style

Comment

Originally posted by davidof
              VXRPC have 5 versions for stage 1 depending on your Driving .style
              5 now! Don't suppose you have one that is kinder to the tyres Dave (and no, not one that removes the driver! :wink: )

Comment

Ian ,
                we think, that if your happy with the map you have ,then leave it that way until you want to go a step up.

if your worried about tyres , then drive the same amount of miles backwards that you do forwards.

Comment

Ian ,
                  we think, that if your happy with the map you have ,then leave it that way until you want to go a step up.

if your worried about tyres , then drive the same amount of miles backwards that you do forwards.
                  Oh yeah perfectly happy...now the spark plugs are in correctly it's flying again!

Thanks for the advice on tyres. I'll give it a go and let you know the results! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR
                    Hmm....difference? Where did you get the 260bhp from?
                    Well these seem to be the average for the stage one (I think)

From what I have read everyone with a stage one from vxrpc/thorney/courtney gets around this bhp but the regal map seems to add 20bhp onto this. I understand theres a member from here, sharon I think who's running a regal stage 1 281 bhp.

So what your saying is the rolling road could be some of the difference?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ldargavel
                      Hmm....difference? Where did you get the 260bhp from?
                      Well these seem to be the average for the stage one (I think)

From what I have read everyone with a stage one from vxrpc/thorney/courtney gets around this bhp but the regal map seems to add 20bhp onto this. I understand theres a member from here, sharon I think who's running a regal stage 1 281 bhp.

So what your saying is the rolling road could be some of the difference?
                      Ah I see. Regal's rolling road bhp readings do seem to be higher than the others. It's not that it's wrong, just higher...if that makes sense! :? TMS' on the other hand do seem to be lower. As long as you get you car rolling roaded on the same rollers before and after the remap then it will show the gain you have. The peak power could be 280 on one set of rollers and 265 on another set of rollers. Different rolling roads have different ways of calculating the flywheel figure. (Rolling road flywheel figures is another topic that can open a can of worms!)

Comment

Ah I see. I'm gonna buy a dyno and calibrate it so it over reads. I claim 300 bhp from my stage 1, who wants it
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ldargavel
                          Ah I see. I'm gonna buy a dyno and calibrate it so it over reads. I claim 300 bhp from my stage 1, who wants it
                          Pah! I have the finest oil drums on my rolling road and I get 500bhp!!!!!

Na seriously, that's my understanding of it from what has been posted in the past anyway. The difference on the road is where it counts and omg does it make a difference!!

Comment

VXRPC have 5 versions for stage 1 depending on your Driving .style
                            5 now! Don't suppose you have one that is kinder to the tyres Dave (and no, not one that removes the driver! :wink: )
                            your worried about tyres ian ????? cannot keep mine from spinning in second in thr dry now when i floor it
                            sigpic
                            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                            M.U.F.C.
                            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I think an aggressive type map is the one that most drivers want !

The feeling of torque and Holy **** is what most really like to experience.

Some of the tuners are tending to remap to a more gradual power increase than the standard map.
                              Smoother they say !!! NO THANKS !!!
                              The orig map is not violent enough, why would this be reduced ???

I believe it is possible to have loads of low down torque with a pretty high BHP produced smoothly. After all who wants to have to be doing high speeds and thrashing the car to get great performance.

In the comments about the Regal dyno being overrated I believe it to be the opposite in fact giving conservative realistic figures. Sharon's figures and graphs that were shown were not done at Regal's. It would be interesting to know what actual BHP at the flywheel figure was produced at Regal's ???

After all one member on this forum, Koa Rang with a full Milltek had about 265bhp approx from stage 2 at Regal I believe. The torque though was 340 lbs. The car must have been amazing to drive. It is after all on the road what counts !!!

Weigh it up and chose wisely.

Comment

Working...
                              X