This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic trim and crap colour match

ive noticed on my car and a few other vauxs that the bumpers appear to be a darker shade than the rest of the car.

thought it was just mine till i popped into vaux tother day and noticed another flame red vxr exactly the same.

i noticed a silver car the other day and it was really bad!

i had a word with a pal of mine who used to work for vaux as a painter and he said its down to the darker primer used on the plastics and also that they are painted in a different place then fitted later on.

i think maybe vaux should sort this out cos its a bit poor in my opinion.

its not very noticable in sun light but underneath a street light its really bad.

anyone else notice this???
    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

I have a relative who works for Vauxhall.He told me that no matter what you do the paint on plastic always looks different to the finish on metal.
    He has even had customers ask to paint bumpers deliberately "off" to get a match.
    However if you are not happy take it back
    Mine is Arden Blue and is not a problem to my eye
    sigpic
    More than 34,900 viewings and counting
    Click Here to.................
    See My Wheels
    See My Wife's EX Wheels now Sold

Comment

yeah i think the blue is ok for this, i had a silver astra GSi before the VXR and that looked really bad, so did the silver SXi i had before that.....
      Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Paint - colour hue variation

I hope his helps I have taken some extracts from Wikipedia.
        Metamerism:
        materials that are metameric color matches rather than spectral color matches, is a significant problem in industries where color matching or color tolerances are important. A classic example is in automobiles: paints may be manufactured to provide a good color match under a standard light source (such as the sun), but the matches can disappear under different light sources (fluorescent sodium or halide lights). This is due to the different light frequencies of streetlighting than that of natural light. Paints manufactured with brighteners are especially susceptible to color changes when lights differ in their short wavelength radiation, which can cause some paints to fluoresce.

Color matches made in the paint industry are often aimed at achieving a true spectral color match, as well as a tristimulus (metameric) color match. A typical spectral color match attempts to give two colors the same spectral reflectance characteristic, making them a good metameric match with a low degree of metamerism, and thereby reducing the resulting color matches sensitivity to changes under differing light sources. Colours seen to be true in daylight are often markedly different under orange streetlighting. This is due to the differnt light frequencies. The obvious place to see examles of this effect is at your local secand hand car lot. Where wings and doors that have had repairs are often obvious under the lot floodlighting. When seen in the natural light of the sun they often look OK

[

Comment

Re: Paint - colour hue variation

Originally posted by Skinner
          I hope his helps I have taken some extracts from Wikipedia.
          Metamerism:
          materials that are metameric color matches rather than spectral color matches, is a significant problem in industries where color matching or color tolerances are important. A classic example is in automobiles: paints may be manufactured to provide a good color match under a standard light source (such as the sun), but the matches can disappear under different light sources (fluorescent sodium or halide lights). This is due to the different light frequencies of streetlighting than that of natural light. Paints manufactured with brighteners are especially susceptible to color changes when lights differ in their short wavelength radiation, which can cause some paints to fluoresce.

Color matches made in the paint industry are often aimed at achieving a true spectral color match, as well as a tristimulus (metameric) color match. A typical spectral color match attempts to give two colors the same spectral reflectance characteristic, making them a good metameric match with a low degree of metamerism, and thereby reducing the resulting color matches sensitivity to changes under differing light sources. Colours seen to be true in daylight are often markedly different under orange streetlighting. This is due to the differnt light frequencies. The obvious place to see examles of this effect is at your local secand hand car lot. Where wings and doors that have had repairs are often obvious under the lot floodlighting. When seen in the natural light of the sun they often look OK

[
          excellent post. i love reading stuff like that, like johny 5..."need the info" lol
          stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

yeh our bumpers are a shade darker than the body work , but saying that when i looked at the ST bumpers they were a mile off :wink:

Comment

during the day my bumpers look good.

BUT

At night under the street lamp out side my house the front and rear bumpers aswell as the rear spoiler look a different colour. not good.

The only way i can see to solve this is to have it all painted again in one place useing one pot of paint then the whole car should be the same colour.

The bumpers are painted in a different part of the factory so the colour might be a slightly different shade also the paint will react to different bace materials. ie plastics amd metals.

Comment

Working...
              X