This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First oil change

Well just had my first oil change this morning after putting 1400mile on the clock. Cost me £70 all in but well worth it!!
    Not sure if its in my head but the car seems much smoother and responsive.
    I wouldn't listen to VX about oil changes, I would recommend oil changing between 1000 & 2000 miles from new, after all you've just run-in an engine and you never know what foreign bodies/contaminents fall out from bedding in an engine...........my advice if you haven't done it already, change your oil and filter.

Clint

yeh i did mine at 1500 ansd now gonna change at 5k which will be after wed's only had car since sept 15th
    sigpic
    stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
    M.U.F.C.
    http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Re: First oil change

Originally posted by MR F Quick
      Well just had my first oil change this morning after putting 1400mile on the clock. Cost me £70 all in but well worth it!!
      I wouldn't listen to VX about oil changes, I would recommend oil changing between 1000 & 2000 miles from new, after all you've just run-in an engine and you never know what foreign bodies/contaminents fall out from bedding in an engine...........my advice if you haven't done it already, change your oil and filter.

Clint
      are there any disadvantages in leaving the first oil change `til maybe 5-8000?
      especially when the colour of the oil still looks clear.
      im not that clued up on engines but 1400 sounds a little premature?

Comment

Re: First oil change

Originally posted by leepy
        Originally posted by MR F Quick

Clint
        are there any disadvantages in leaving the first oil change `til maybe 5-8000?
        especially when the colour of the oil still looks clear.
        im not that clued up on engines but 1400 sounds a little premature?
        even if the colour of the oil is a lovely honey colour, you still cant be sure that trace contaminents are floating about, unless you cracked open your filter and had it screened. i dont think its a little premature, maybe a little over conscious, but for the sake of £70, i think its worth it

Comment

most new engines are pre ran in before they are put in the car these days.

this may not apply to vaux's but tbh i think the whole 1000 mile run in period, and oil change etc is a thing of the passed.

im sure the vaux engneers have took this run in period in mind so personally i'll just stick with there recomendations.

but hey, i dont suppose it wil hurt.

i do about 5k per year so im gonna stick with my yearly services
          stage 2 vxr

[email protected]msn.com

Comment

An early oil chnage is always good IMHO.... as previously stated, early days of the engine is spent smoothing off all the sharp edges of the engine.

But what do I know...I'm just a driver, not a mechanic

Comment

i deffo agree that it wont hurt

but as time served engineer and diy engine builder i can honstly say that things have improved 10 fold over the yesteryear engines that needed bedding in

tolerances and parts are a lot better these days as are qulity of materials.

the engines ive built (highly tuned turbo engines for race use) ive obviously had to run in as ive built them by hand, but the run in period on these is ran on cheap mineral oil to bed things in better, then after 500 mile a good qulity oil is used. you cant really bed an engine in with a good qaulity oil.

id say the only benifits of changing the oil this early would be like said above, any rogue bits of grit, swarf etc would be removed.

but as i say, im sure vaux have done thourough checks to ensure that the engines are well ready to be ran with no probs at all staright out of the box.

dont for one minute think im saying this is bad practice, if your gonna do the change your self for 25 quid in your garage then im all for it. but i wouldnt bother paying vaux 100 quid to change your oil every couple of months
              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X