This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restricted power in 1st

for the first time i did a good standing start this morning in my car and it seems it has restricted power in 1st gear, kinda like the old calibra turbos.

i thought the vxr had full use of the power in all gears which explained the bad torque steer in 1st that clarkson went on about

it was a pretty cool thing to find out actually cos i expected it to just light the wheels up if i ever did a standing start. first gear got the car moving, then when i changed into 2nd thats when the fun started.

i honestly didnt realies they had dont this to this car, well done vaux :wink:
    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Re: restricted power in 1st

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
    for the first time i did a good standing start this morning in my car and it seems it has restricted power in 1st gear, kinda like the old calibra turbos.
    That'll be the traction control kicking in and backing the power off.

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
    i thought the vxr had full use of the power in all gears which explained the bad torque steer in 1st that clarkson went on about
    Turn the TC off (hold sport button in for 5 secs), lighting the tyres up is easy then!! Clarkson had a pre-production model with SRi suspension setup etc. He didn't mention that on the show though!

In the dry with TC off you'll be amazed at how quick the car is without any electronic interference if you haven't done it already!!

Comment

traction control didnt come in though in first, thats what im saying, it did in second though as normal.

the old calibras had a 1st gear recognition switch which cut the boost in half in first gear, this was to protect the drive train and stop spin etc

i should imagine theyve put this on the vxr as the calibra was 4x4 and these are only fwd also theres a 40 hp increase on this car.

im gonna have a look at the gear box, there should be a reverse switch (for the reverse light) and 1st gear switch. if theres 2 switches then i think im right.
      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

No restriction on mine, if u give it the big one then the traction control will cut in with it turned of then she just flys, no drop of in boost as i have boost gauge fitted so ian is right mate could be somthing not right with your car, try it with TC off should by big differance.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

i'll give it a go later on then. tbh i though it was better that way. got the car rolling with restricted power then pulled like a train in 2nd.

you say you got a boost gauge? what boost you getting in high gears?you have got stage 2 havnt you?
          stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

i have got stage 2 and the boost holds around 14 psi

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

The Astra Turbo models have Torque limitation settings in the first 2 gears, it is sensed on wheel speed versus rpm

Comment

Originally posted by davidof
                The Astra Turbo models have Torque limitation settings in the first 2 gears, it is sensed on wheel speed versus rpm
                Does that mean you can't damage anything if you give it too much power and lift the clutch too quickly??

Comment

i knew there would be something like that.

like i say the old calibras had a 1st gear switch,so this is kinda the same thing but a little more technical.

do you know this for a fact?

and to add, just ran my car with esp off and it didnt half make a difference :wink:
                  stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

This is similar to the restriction placed on the C20let when fitted to the Cav'/ Calibra. In their case it was easy to get round.

Comment

yeh it was a smiple switch on the box.

we used to just short it out to get full power in first
                      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X