This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Astra VXR wheels scuffs diy

Does anyone know the paint code or availability of the silver paint/lacquer to enable me to touch up small scuffs, I dont think its star silver or is it ?

I use vauxhall star silver to touch up...looks ok but still not perfect.
    sigpic

Comment

its actually a fancy colour thats obtained by a black base coat then a transparent satin silver.

i spoke to a painter freind of mine and he said it would be really difficult to match the colour.

i know of a guy on here (i think) who got his local chips away to repair the wheel for about 50 quid and it was spot on.

might be worth giving chips away a shout
      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

theres a few mobile wheels shops on the internet who will come to your house or place of work an fix up a grotty wheel for around £45-70

http://www.wickedwheels.co.uk/
        http://www.fenwicksupplies.com/

ive used the top guys in the past and they are very good!

Comment

think i will be getting mine done soon they are terrible
          sigpic
          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
          M.U.F.C.
          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

why do they have to build kerbs so high?

especially the ones when you open the car door, and the bottom scrapes on the pavement...whats the point!!!!

Comment

yeh i know we aint got a drive so it's murder trying to get it close enough without wacking the wheel's
              sigpic
              M.U.F.C.

Comment

Kerbs are evil evil things. I think the combination of having no rubber on the wheels means any tiny ickle touch at any speed is STRAIGHT on the alloy, not on the rubber... SOO annoying. No room for mistakes with these wheels.

Comment

yep, and ive already paid the price...the alloys on my astra g, although they're 18" with low profiles, they have some protection as the tyres poke out a bit., but the vxr's are really exposed, and stick out a bit, so...it was inevitable. its not too bad though

Comment

Im tempted to create Kerb sensors, based on parking sensors. The beeps represent- your close enough to the kerb to not get a ticket, ok your nice and close, your getting TOO close now and the last one is just the phone number of your local alloy repair centre!!!

Mite make my first million with them!!!
                    Or just set up a alloy repair centre??

On a serious note about repairing the wheels, IF they are only tiny and right on the edge, Halfords Alloy Repair kit. My friend recently done thier BMW wheels where his wife had "touched" the kerb and left a few small scuffs. He was able to repair it perfectly without the hefty price tag. Please note tho these were tiny 2-3mm in length scuffs and only to the edge of the alloy and only just on the main face. All were within 5mm of the edge of the wheel. Don't think it will work on large or deep ones???

Comment

i hadnt seen repair kits in halfords., might take peak at them

Comment

Do you lot not adjust your mirrors then when coming into a kerb, I could understand if they were not powered, but these days with electric mirrors, just a quick fiddle with the buttons and hey presto one nicely parked VXR...

Also be aware, with these mobile repairs, the paint will never harden like an oven finished job. My mate has an R32 he has had a mobile repairer sort his alloys out, but he has said they have started to discolour slightly due to the paint/laquer not being hardened off.

Hope this helps.... :wink:

Comment

Well, thanks for your ideas - if I can only find a paint colour thats very close, I am hoping to have a go myself. I might get a Badger precision spray gun from Halfords - not sure how I would get on.

Comment

Hi, when I was touching up my old alloys (was a special dark silver Ltd edition) I took the car to a sprayer/bodyshop and got them to do a colour match for me. they basically tried and tested various combinations then when they found the right combo they mixed me up a batch to take home (about 5litres of it!) only charged me £50 which is the cost of a single rim refurb.

just a thought.

Comment

what do you fill the deep scuffs with ? cos i can get my alloys powder coated from a mate ? and yeh we know we have mirrors that work but sometimes when under pressure to park with another car up ur bottom it's not so easy to start messing with the mirror's :? :?
                              sigpic
                              M.U.F.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X