This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy Clarkson hates the VXR!

I was browsing around the net looking at Astra VXR videos and came accross the top gear review with Clarkson slagging it off!

What is his problem? He says there is a huge problem with torque steering and other little bits but it seems he has a thing about Vauxhall.

Why?

Simple, he's a c0ck!

He ranked the Golf GTi as the best, yet the Stig finished his lap pointing the wrong way round it it, but we knew he'd say the Golf was best before he started.

Comment

Clarkson never drove an Asdtra VXR it was a pre production SRi that was botched together at the last minute for him...

Comment

I suppose its remains the question though, why did Vauxhall give Top Gear a pre production car without the proper suspension etc instead of waiting for the finished article?

Comment

commercial pressure, to get something on tv. i dont think he really slated it, he just didnt give it as much applause as the gti or the megane. infact, looking around, the vxr seems to get quite tame reports compared to other cars in its class (mostly the GTI [everyone loves the golf!])

Comment

I think Tiff likes it, the 5th gear review I thought was quite fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PLc122LT4

Comment

Originally posted by m4rtc
              I suppose its remains the question though, why did Vauxhall give Top Gear a pre production car without the proper suspension etc instead of waiting for the finished article?
              Mr Harris can confirm but I think.....Top Gear went all PRIMA DONNA and said you either give us a VXR now or you don't get it on the telly Vauxhall ok! :?

TG were told it wasn't the final suspension set up but i guess somebody at VX marketing bowed to pressure agreed and believed that TG would mention it? ....

We have debated before on here the merits of whether it should have been released to them before its suspension setup was finalised and ready.... errrr no! lol Sure someone would have had a word in someone's ear about it post event anyway?

If we all had a pound as VXR owners for each time we get told 'oh yeah thats the one that torque steers badly'....
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by m4rtc
                I suppose its remains the question though, why did Vauxhall give Top Gear a pre production car without the proper suspension etc instead of waiting for the fiished article?
                Bloomin' good question, and VXL should have F****** him off out of it rather than let him have a car that wasn't ready. More fool them for pandering to the BBC and Top Gear....

Comment

ive seen the top gear review and tbh i think he wanted to like it but just couldnt get past the handling.

deep down inside you could tell they all liked it, it even made it to the cool wall if i remeber rightly.
                  stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

they should give him 1 now and watch the reaction on his face especially if it was a stage 2 or 3 then put the dodgy looking golf up against it there would be a mass rush from vw owners to get the best looking and fastest car in its class , let em keep thinking it's c**p we all no different especially when we meet em on the motorways and roads when we leave em for dead , keep up the good work jc we are all happy aint we folk's
                    sigpic
                    stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                    M.U.F.C.
                    http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

it even made it to the cool wall if i remeber rightly
                      i think you're right, but only because hammond made clarkson put it their. he said "it wouldnt be cool when you've torque steered it into a tree'

or something to that effect

Comment

Torque Steer, Pork Beer, Pah! As much as I like the car you have to agree it is a pig being a front wheeler. On so many occasions have I put my foot down in a straight line and been fighting the road camber or surface. On one occasion I "felt" I was fishtailing violently, I just put my trust in the car, kept my foot down and gritted my teeth and thank god it sorted itself in the end.

Comment

richard hammond said it wasnt cool because if you went to a party and anyone asked what car you had you would have to explain that it was an astra BUT it was the topend model with 240 brake etc etc

but jeremy clarkson said it was cool because on the way to said party youd have torque steered into a tree

i thought it was quite funny
                          stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

I like that...

Comment

richard hammond said it wasnt cool because if you went to a party and anyone asked what car you had you would have to explain that it was an astra BUT it was the topend model with 240 brake etc etc

but jeremy clarkson said it was cool because on the way to said party youd have torque steered into a tree

i thought it was quite funny
                              aaah, its all coming back to me now!

Comment

Working...
                              X