Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyres - what are you running on? Lack of grip?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres - what are you running on? Lack of grip?

I'm still on the VX standard fit ones. The problem I'm finding is during the summer it stuck to the road, you could chuck it into a corner and it felt safe.

Now its gone cold and damp and wet the car is just NOT sticking. Is anyone else finding this? It doesn't even feel like it wants to stick when I'm driving normally with Sport button off. I've still got 5mm on the front and 7mm on the rears.

Is it just the car or is it the tyres???? Just concerned at the fact its not even got to the ice and snow stage yet and its struggling to cope with damp cold surfaces!!

What tyres are other people running, as I'm considering changing my early just to get some grip for the winter.

Re: Tyres - what are you running on? Lack of grip?

Originally posted by vxr - xtc
    I'm still on the VX standard fit ones. The problem I'm finding is during the summer it stuck to the road, you could chuck it into a corner and it felt safe.

Now its gone cold and damp and wet the car is just NOT sticking. Is anyone else finding this? It doesn't even feel like it wants to stick when I'm driving normally with Sport button off. I've still got 5mm on the front and 7mm on the rears.

Is it just the car or is it the tyres???? Just concerned at the fact its not even got to the ice and snow stage yet and its struggling to cope with damp cold surfaces!!

What tyres are other people running, as I'm considering changing my early just to get some grip for the winter.
    Sounds to me like you expect to be able to drive in winter like you did in the summer - not going to happen :wink:

No tyre will give you the grip you seem to expect in the winter (not on the front of a 240bhp Astra VXR anyway - way, way to much power I'm afraid).

Slow down and save yourself some cash is my recommendation - 5mm of tread on the front is significant (you've used less than half the tyres life ).

IMO new tyres would actually perform worse than your current ones since they are nicely bedded in and are probably providing optimum grip...

Drive safe...

Andy

Comment

And this may be enhanced by your engine running better now that it is run in, hence a little more power...

Comment

No I don't expect to drive like i do the summer unless I don't want to live to see next summer or create a new shape VXR!!!

The fact my car starts to slide and become extremely light and twitchy and feel it starting to go doing a corner at 30mph, where other cars in front and behind are doin the same or faster concerns me. I even had a granny in a new astra 1.4 pull away from me in a long gentle corner today as the car was just not sticking!

All I want from a winter tyre is a little more grip. I've owned powerful front end cars in the past and never experienced this lack of grip before.

Prehaps it just a VXR thing - shame if it is

Comment

Originally posted by vxr - xtc
          No I don't expect to drive like i do the summer unless I don't want to live to see next summer or create a new shape VXR!!!

The fact my car starts to slide and become extremely light and twitchy and feel it starting to go doing a corner at 30mph, where other cars in front and behind are doin the same or faster concerns me. I even had a granny in a new astra 1.4 pull away from me in a long gentle corner today as the car was just not sticking!

All I want from a winter tyre is a little more grip. I've owned powerful front end cars in the past and never experienced this lack of grip before.

Prehaps it just a VXR thing - shame if it is
          Definately not a VXR thing! - mine is fine.

Something sounds wrong here - best get it checked out! (on the basis you claim a Granny in a 1.4 drove away from you )

Andy

Comment

its not a vxr thing....its a powerful car in weather thing.

grip will always be a problem on greasy winter roads. especially with the front wheel drive

Comment

Not sure what tyres you have at the moment, but I found that the harder compounds had virtually no grip in cold and damp conditions.

In the previous car, a switch to Pirelli pZero Rosso solved the grip problem, but caused another: that stupid patterned centre band wore out really quickly.

Next switch was to Michelin Pilot Sport II. Apart from initial cost, no downsides. Reasonable winter grip in cold and damp (but totally hopeless in snow - worse than slicks), good mileage, plus fantastic summer grip.

dv.

Comment

I do find the standard fit Conti's very poor in damp/wet conditions.
                Have to drive much more conservatively in poor conditions and use much less right foot

Comment

Thanks for the help. Yeah they are very hard these, think they are contientals - too cold to walk outside and double check!!

Thanks for everyone else saying they have a problem, thought I was going insane for a few posts there.

Roll on the summer months....

Comment

I bought Kumho winter tires about 3 weeks ago, and they are very good. The grip is better that I expected. It might be the fact that winter tires are pretty soft.
                    sigpic

Comment

thats the second time someone has recommended kumho tyres to me!

Comment

kumho,s on 3 series bm for me aswell!!!
                        HeavenlyDetail
                        Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. Who stocks them? Trying to search on the net but failing badly.

Comment

http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/

But get advice Dont take our word for it as we all drive different and my experience is not based on vxr.....
                            HeavenlyDetail
                            Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

try some good year eagle f1 they seem to be 1 of the best wet weather tyres normally come up tops in magazine tyre tests
                              for all your VXR tuning needs phone courtenays on 01692 404313 or vist www.courtenaysport.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X