This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking power VXR

Well just got back from TMS... Originally went for an oil change and a general check over. Tech 2 reported retarding in the 2nd cylinder (11 degrees). John checked with vaux that the spark plugs had been replaced, and they had. (They measured in at .8mm)

Had a RR session which showed my Astra is putting out... wait for it..... 213bhp... It's the lowest they have seen yet. Granted it has only 1200ish miles on the clock, but still :?

Going to get another 1000 miles on her then take it back.

Oh well as long as it gets fixed... Just to add to TMS's reputation, absolutely top service, not only from John, but the mechanic that was working on my car. I didnt want to mention this while at TMS, but I couldnt sample the hot choccy, was none left

Cheers

improves with milage so to does the power delivery and responsiveness
    keep in mind you could see varients from dynos either side of the manufacturers quoted figures which were obtained from a bench dyno.

Comment

Next time you check, make sure your fuel is pretty decent too...I 've seen an astra F with 500bhp lose 200+ bhp on the dyno due to poor quality fuel!
      Blue Arden Astra OPC

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie
        improves with milage so to does the power delivery and responsiveness
        yea thats rite mines only got about 5k on the clock and its gettin beta every time i drie it also run it on V-power i found that to make a big diff in my car

Comment

Flowers,
          How come your number 2 cylinder was retarding ?, did john tell you ?,
          is it a case of fitting a new coil pack and then its fixed ?

Comment

Has anyone heard of pre production models putting out more than the 240bhp? A fellow vxr owner told me that they used to tune them up a bit and give them to the car press so they would be even more impressed.
            Ive got a pre production but don't really have much to compare it to.

Comment

We guessed the problem was caused from faulty plugs or coil pack... He called my dealership who confirmed that they had replaced the plugs. We are going to try iridium plugs in early jan and replace the coil pack after i have put a few more miles on.

I have used 99octane fuel mostly, with the exception of tesco 97 when i couldnt make it to shell. I tried to run it in respectfully, with bursts every now and then. Dont get me wrong, i didnt drive it like a granny, but wasnt nailing it all of the time. I gave it a few bursts through the rev range on every journey.

Comment

As part of the recall the Tech is required to put a yellow paint mark on the plug cover.

this will indicate to all other dealers/warranty work shops that the recall has been carried out.

Comment

Originally posted by VXR_240
                  As part of the recall the Tech is required to put a yellow paint mark on the plug cover.

this will indicate to all other dealers/warranty work shops that the recall has been carried out.
                  What a naff way of working. Surely, they should be logging into the Vauxhall Central Computer system

Comment

I would agree with you but it seems a lot od service recalls are done this way.

I know a few VW/Audi Techs and thats how they do it as well

Comment

Originally posted by VXR_240

Whoops !!!

I removed this yellow blob, thought they had been careless with the paint !!!

Really required in this day and age though, surely computer logged through the VIN. Yellow blob not very aesthetic is it !!!

:? :? :?

Comment

Does the plug recall apply to all, as I have had nothing in the post and my dealer told me there are no recalls at all for my car on an 06 plate. I ask because I am getting flat spots and intermitant lack of power

Comment

If your car needs the replacement plugs it should be logged against your VIN number which the dealer can check with Vauxhall. Had mine checked and it was okay, didn't need the plugs and it's an 06 plate.

Comment

When a recall is carried out by the dealer the VIN should be recorded, this then goes on a database, Im sure its called Vauxhall Care.

Comment

No std Astra VXR will put out more than 240(237). Nothin is done to press cars , and most in the industry don;t either.

As TMS did the run was that 213 at the wheels ?

Until you've run at least 3 to 4 tankfuls of fuel through the ecu will not have 'learnt' the octane rating. If you 've only used higher than 95 and still get the odd stutter in delivery then you have a v sensitive ecu. if you've popped a lower octane tank in amongst the higher octane fill ups the ecu will detect this . play safe and retard the ignition. And so the cycle goes on.

When a car is worked on under recall it is recorded centrally. The yellow dot is a double check so that when they peer under the bonnet they can see if this particular car has been done.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X