This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whining noise

I have just started getting a whining noise at idle from the rear of the car when outside it sounds more like a buzzing sound any ideas .

The fuel pump makes a buzzing noise but a sweet note. If the noise is louder than normal and provided you have'nt heard it before whilst standing at the rear then I suggest the fuel pump. It could make this noise for sometime before packing in but if you are getting poor performance (i.e the car starts spluttering) then I would suggest a warranty claim on the fuel pump.

I had an experience with my cavalier GSi as described above and replaced the pump with no more problems.

Hope this helps but I may be also way off the mark

Clint

Comment

speaking of whining.
      does anybody get,what sounds like a gear box whine when your changing gear?

Comment

yeh i do leepy from the rear every time i change gear sounded really noisy last night , was thinking iof taking mine back to dealers cos it's getting worse and i aint got a clue what it is , plus i need my rear light changing it's still damp after 3hrs of the lights being on :?
        sigpic
        stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
        M.U.F.C.
        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

the car sounds like my old pug 106 that had a whine in the first 3 gears.
          i thought it could be turbo related but it sure does sound like the gearbox is whining.

Comment

it happens when i accelerate at the top end as i let off the clutch to change up sounds like its coming from the rear on mine tho :? :?
            sigpic
            M.U.F.C.

Comment

Re: whining noise

Originally posted by davexnt
              I have just started getting a whining noise at idle from the rear of the car when outside it sounds more like a buzzing sound any ideas .
              hey guys, read the thread, the problem is at idle and any answers to daves prob would be appreciated.

If you've got a gearbox whine, then how about starting a new thread eh? :wink:

Comment

i bet your one of those forum members that keeps telling people to use the search?
                how about starting a new thread every time a scratch my nuts?

sorry boss.your right.

Comment

Originally posted by leepy
                  i bet your one of those forum members that keeps telling people to use the search?
                  how about starting a new thread every time a scratch my nuts?

sorry boss.your right.
                  No I'm not one of those members, I was just feeling like having a go yesterday! :wink: but have woke up fine this morning.

Comment

no worrys mate
                    i understand where you were comming from.
                    i supose i did hijack slightly.
                    i apologise for cheekyness

Comment

if it is the fuel pump packing in i'd be careful when driving hard.

turbo cars rely on lots of fuel when on boost to stop detonation. if the fuel pump packs in when driving full throttle bye bye pistons
                      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

yeh but mine comes from the back its hard to explain what the noise is all i know it's doing my head in
                        sigpic
                        M.U.F.C.

Comment

your fuel pump is at the back. you'll be able to tell if its the pump, it makes a sound like a small motor, kinda like a scalextric car

edit... the fuel pump is actually just infront of the back wheels ... edit

you shouldnt really be able to hear it over the exhaust though thinking about it.

im gonna listen to mine to see if i can here it
                          stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

just had a listen to mine. no obvious buzzing. if i really put my ear to the tank i can hear the pump but only very faint.

apart from the miltek barbling away there are no other sound from the rear of my car
                            stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

i'm gonna take it back to the dealers too loud for a fuel pump sounds like a dry grinding noise but only when i change gears
                              sigpic
                              M.U.F.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X