This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with intercooler decision needed

been trolling over regals and courts site and cant decide which intercooler to go with regals blizzard one or courts/vpc one. anyone got any suggestions i know courts has had a lot of testing tho. regal is an hour away and courts is 6 hours away from me for reference
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

wheres the regal i/c i cant find it on there site ? post the link lets have a look ta
    sigpic
    stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
    M.U.F.C.
    http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

im stupid cant do links go www.regal-shop.co.uk astra vxr then phase upgrades

Comment

yeh found it , do you know any1 who has it fitted ? looks ok tho , but i think mine is bigger and a lot more room at the back cos its thinner about the same price tho
        sigpic
        M.U.F.C.

Comment

i thought the regal one looks a bit more solid and quality, do you think they are about the same tho in performance really. cant be much diff

Comment

the only thing you can go off really is the build quality and overall capacity.

i should imagine all the different companys use about 9-10 ltr intercoolers.

give them all a ring and see what they say.

you seem to want a lot doing to your vxr. why dont you save up and get it all done at once rather than adding bits and bobs hear and there.

are you on about fitting the cooler and cam with the standard map and exhaust?? or are you getting the exhaust and map first??
            stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

yeah mate im gonna get stage 3 done (300bhp) and stop there for a bit . the only thing i cant decide on is the intercooler, i like the look of regals its 8 litre

Comment

im waiting for someone to try water injection on a vxr. i had it on my last car and what a difference it makes to a tuned engine.

also prevents detonation by cooling the pistons, but the vxrs have oil spray bars so i dont suppose thats needed.

non the less my charge temps dropped a **** load when using the water injection, alot better than an intercooler on its own.

in laymans terms... water injection is like driving in fog. ice cold inlet temps thus making for a better bang
                stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

just had a look on both sites and ive got say the courtenay one looks alot better. it looks like a good factory fit and as worsy says its got a bigger surface area for better cooling.
                  stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

i think it is bigger yeah but regal looks wider tho the courts one looks bigger but its thinner

Comment

yeh but the more frontal area it has the more chance the cold air is going to cool the charge. at the end of the day thats what a cooler is for.

if its the same capacity but spread over a larger frontal area then it will be more efficient.
                      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

yeah but does the air not pass over through the wider regal cooler so it will be the same

Comment

it doesnt work like that mate. hence why your engine radiator is thin with a big frontal area rather than small and fat.

your intercooler is just a raditor to cool the charge from your turbo. it works almost exactly the same. obviuosly intercooler will have to be thicker to some extent becasue of the increase in capacity, but the larger the frontal area the better it will be.

believe me mate, ive been building and tuning turbo engines for ages.
                          me and my pal have built some pretty mental cars (all turbo). i would like to think i know quite a bit about prepering and tuning engines.

im just giving you my best advice mate.
                          stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

mine is lower too so it picks all the air up coming from beneath the car , leaving a space at the top so the radiator is getting air at the top so keeping temps down , a lot of testing went into the courts 1 and i personally think i chose the better 1 IHMO
                            sigpic
                            M.U.F.C.

Comment

Originally posted by worsy
                              mine is lower too so it picks all the air up coming from beneath the car , leaving a space at the top so the radiator is getting air at the top so keeping temps down , a lot of testing went into the courts 1 and i personally think i chose the better 1 IHMO
                              im with him, and i aint even got one.
                              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X