Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question that vxrmarc can answer...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question that vxrmarc can answer...

    I rarely drive the car in rain, and as an obssesive compulsive, the car is always showroom condition. It is microfibred daily and the wheels are terry toweled, sometimes with a spot of meguiars quick detailer, other times just a dry wipe of dust...

    Anyhow,

    Like tonight when I have to drive in the pi$$ing wet and rain (35 mile trip to work), at the end of the journey I visit a jet wash at the garage. DONT PANIC VXRMARC - I dont use the brushes or anything, but what I do is just either a jet water spray or that and jet foam. I gently and from the top down, and NOT at a 90 degree angle, just rinse the salt, grit and dirt (often not that much to be fair) away from the body and off the car. I feel it is better doing this than letting "salt and crud" remain and dry on the vehicle. I dont dry it, just let it dry itself. Then I may wash the car days later using the approved techniques.

    So In my opinion I am just looking after the paintwork by keeping it as particle free as possible.

    Ques 1) Am I actually doing harm though?

    Ques 2) When I let it dry naturally without wiping it with a water magnet, loads of dried water droplets form on the dry paintwork. This I expect, BUT, once there, they are NOT removed by anything other than another full wash. If I wet it and chamois it, or water magnet it, or if I apply wax and biff, the droplets remain. They seem INDESTRUCTIBLE. What are they, how do they form, isnt it incredible?

    Ques 3) I opted out of Supaguard - can I have it at my 1 year service?

  • #2
    You have too much time on your hands!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Blimey, and i thought i was fussy
      sigpic
      My VXR from Start to Finish

      Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

      Comment


      • #4
        bloody hell A O wants to see mineit aint been washed since before crimbo :wink:

        just simply dont have 5/6 hours spare that often :?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Question that vxrmarc can answer...

          Originally posted by Arden_One

          Ques 2) When I let it dry naturally without wiping it with a water magnet, loads of dried water droplets form on the dry paintwork. This I expect, BUT, once there, they are NOT removed by anything other than another full wash. If I wet it and chamois it, or water magnet it, or if I apply wax and biff, the droplets remain. They seem INDESTRUCTIBLE. What are they, how do they form, isnt it incredible?

          Ques 3) I opted out of Supaguard - can I have it at my 1 year service?
          Arden One, these droplets are probably limescale (this occurs anturally in certain parts of the country) and possibly other additives (fluride etc) contained in the water, not sure what part of the country your in, but here in Telford the water is classed as hard as it contains limescale, like you say, let them dry and a they are a nightmare to clean off, only a full wash will remove them, Meguiars do a car wash that helps break down the limescale and stops the marks from appearing, but I appreciate this is no good when your just jet washing.

          RE Supaguard, I would think you can get it done at any stage, my previous Vectra was 6 months old when I had it applied, but I say get done sooner rather than later.

          Hope some of this helps... :wink:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by arden
            "covered in blood" hell A O wants to see mineit aint been washed since before crimbo :wink:

            just simply dont have 5/6 hours spare that often :?
            snap arden and arden 1 you must be neglecting puddy cat with all the cleaning your doing on the car i'm not happy and will have to report you to the cat crew :wink:
            sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

            Comment


            • #7
              i had the supergaurd done at a cost of £200 when buying the car and i personally dont think its that gr8 , just stick to using a good quality polish!!

              anyone else not very impressed with their supergaurding and the cost?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Question that vxrmarc can answer...

                Originally posted by Arden_One
                I rarely drive the car in rain, and as an obssesive compulsive, the car is always showroom condition. It is microfibred daily and the wheels are terry toweled, sometimes with a spot of meguiars quick detailer, other times just a dry wipe of dust...

                Anyhow,

                Like tonight when I have to drive in the pi$$ing wet and rain (35 mile trip to work), at the end of the journey I visit a jet wash at the garage. DONT PANIC VXRMARC - I dont use the brushes or anything, but what I do is just either a jet water spray or that and jet foam. I gently and from the top down, and NOT at a 90 degree angle, just rinse the salt, grit and dirt (often not that much to be fair) away from the body and off the car. I feel it is better doing this than letting "salt and crud" remain and dry on the vehicle. I dont dry it, just let it dry itself. Then I may wash the car days later using the approved techniques.

                So In my opinion I am just looking after the paintwork by keeping it as particle free as possible.

                Ques 1) Am I actually doing harm though?

                Ques 2) When I let it dry naturally without wiping it with a water magnet, loads of dried water droplets form on the dry paintwork. This I expect, BUT, once there, they are NOT removed by anything other than another full wash. If I wet it and chamois it, or water magnet it, or if I apply wax and biff, the droplets remain. They seem INDESTRUCTIBLE. What are they, how do they form, isnt it incredible?

                Ques 3) I opted out of Supaguard - can I have it at my 1 year service?
                You'll be doing more harm with the microfibre towels every day than you ever will with the jet wash.

                Water marks are a fact of life if you live in a hard water area and don't dry your car off - it's the solids in the water (limescale) leaving residue on you paintwork.

                I would also suggest that it is too late for you to get Supaguard since it should ideally be applied to factory fresh paintwork (you will have done damage to your paint finish - minor abrasions, swirl marks, fine scratches etc etc - by towelling it everyday that you will just be applying the Supaguard over the top of...).

                Suggest you look at Permaguard - far better than Supaguard and they prep your paintwork properly before application - www.permaguard.info

                Andy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Question that vxrmarc can answer...

                  Originally posted by Arden_One
                  I rarely drive the car in rain, and as an obssesive compulsive, the car is always showroom condition. It is microfibred daily and the wheels are terry toweled, sometimes with a spot of meguiars quick detailer, other times just a dry wipe of dust...

                  Anyhow,

                  Like tonight when I have to drive in the pi$$ing wet and rain (35 mile trip to work), at the end of the journey I visit a jet wash at the garage. DONT PANIC VXRMARC - I dont use the brushes or anything, but what I do is just either a jet water spray or that and jet foam. I gently and from the top down, and NOT at a 90 degree angle, just rinse the salt, grit and dirt (often not that much to be fair) away from the body and off the car. I feel it is better doing this than letting "salt and crud" remain and dry on the vehicle. I dont dry it, just let it dry itself. Then I may wash the car days later using the approved techniques.

                  So In my opinion I am just looking after the paintwork by keeping it as particle free as possible.

                  Ques 1) Am I actually doing harm though?

                  Ques 2) When I let it dry naturally without wiping it with a water magnet, loads of dried water droplets form on the dry paintwork. This I expect, BUT, once there, they are NOT removed by anything other than another full wash. If I wet it and chamois it, or water magnet it, or if I apply wax and biff, the droplets remain. They seem INDESTRUCTIBLE. What are they, how do they form, isnt it incredible?

                  Ques 3) I opted out of Supaguard - can I have it at my 1 year service?
                  Your not doing any harm rinsing the paintwork down in this way, best to use low pressure where possible though.

                  Water stains are due to the actual water used having impurities, soft water usually has either chalk or limestone within the water, does seem worse in the South due to high limestone/chalkstone rock formatiuons that the water runs down to resevoirs through.
                  After washing while car is wet give it a spray with QD and dry it off, it's really the only way to prevent it.

                  Not sure about Supaguard treatment, but regular application of a quality sealant, CG's M-Seal or Meg's #21 and then a good wax applied over is better than Supaguard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When I bought a second hand wrx I was advised not to supaguard a car unless it was brand new. The salesman told me that the supagard will go ontop of any crap that is on the bodywork and will be sealed in forever. I have no reason not to believe the salesman cause he would of got more commission if I'd have bought it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks guys, yeah the water is really hard round here so that figures, not a problem I just make sure I water magnet it away. Re the towelling, I dont towel in muck, only if the car is clean do I do it to maintain that ultra clean look... (i.e no running outside after a rainfall and wiping in all the grit into the paintwork).

                      At least with this one I use the correct cloths and speays. My previouc car was a Vauxhall Corsa SXi from new. I used to , wait for this, use a yellow duster and pledge on a regular basis to keep the car clean. I would do it to wipe off crud after a rainfall or whenever I wanted to clean the car up. In the summer it was a daily 20 mins just shining it up and ridding the dust and dead flies that got onto the car. After 3 and a half years of doing this, the car was still in pristine nick, so I am certainly not worried about the effect some decent cloths and spray will have on the VXR!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thats a novel escape hatch in the floor of that corsa...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You know it! Halfords special!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi guys while on the subject of cleaning cars etc just wanna ask about wax.
                            Just bit confused about this Meguiars #21 sealant stuff, i always use Meguiars NXT wash then wax it with the NXT wax but should i put a coat of the #21 sealant on after that also?
                            Plus there are other sealants so totally confused :?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              IM sure u can get supa gaurd from ebay....

                              The kits are only £60

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X