X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Chip or Remap??

i am looking in to get a remap, then i came across a superchip,

After a remap it shud be about 265bhp well after a superchip it would be 281bhp.

Whats the difference??????

I have spoken to superchips and they said it defo does 43bhp increase and 50nm

David

According to Jon at Thorney it is impossible to achieve much more than 255 BHP without changing the breathing setup of the car. I would steer well clear of brands such as superchips, leave it to the experts that deal with the VXR's, they know how to extract the best out of the cars.

Comment

a remap is to get the best out of your car , not just any vxr, but your actual car.

each engine is slightly different and a remap is to get the best from your motor which is why its set on a rolling road.

a super chip is just a set map that is stuck into your ecu
      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Superchips are generic pap.

That power increase is rediculous! just go with reputable tuners as mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by willf

it is possible to get thorneys map from a superchips dealer(i think!)

Comment

Originally posted by leepy
            Originally posted by willf

it is possible to get thorneys map from a superchips dealer(i think!)
            Correct
            sigpic

Comment

Now you can correct me if i am wrong!! but i thought that the maps that thorney do were actually developed for "Superchips"
              Like i say i may be wrong! but i do know they can give you a thorny map. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by yoshitoshi
                Now you can correct me if i am wrong!! but i thought that the maps that thorney do were actually developed for "Superchips"
                Like i say i may be wrong! but i do know they can give you a thorny map. :wink:
                yup thats right i pm thorney to ask him last wk im my quest to decide who to use.

the standard superchip is the st1 but you can request the st2 from a superchip dealer , altho i would imagine you would only be wise to get this if you had the full miltek !

and im still not sure who to use , altho lots seem to be going the courtney st3 route which is very apealing

Comment

The availability of TMS maps from Superchips dealers to to allow people to get one of our basic maps without having to travel to Milton Keynes. Bacially if you ask for a Thorney Motorsport map from your local SUperchips dealer you get a different map than you would otherwise from them. We actually fine tune the map to your car (regardless of stage) but you can buy a basic stage 1,2 (and when we fully release it) 3 from any Superchips dealer - its a conveninece thing more than anything else.

Comment

So your happy to provide your 'basic' maps to any company which will apply them without a RR test., and they'll just apply the map and there you go.....no check for knock or anything, will work for all,,,must be great maps.

Also, were you to go to a SC dealer, and didn't know about the TNS, what would you get?

Comment

Superchips and TMS spend many long hours developing these maps on both our dynos so I would hardly describe them as 'basic' and the same processes of development are used by EDS and Courtenays people in Germany so if you are being critical of the process of development then you are criticising Courtenay as well (which I am sure will fill you with horror at the thought )

However I agree, I would always prefer to install any remapping with before and after diagnositc runs on a dyno to ensure everything is correct and have the ability to fine tune the map to suit the car (which is what you get if you come to TMS). At the same time we get numerous emails from people asking if we will supply them the TMS maps ( a lot of these are international - there are TMS Astra VXR stage 1 cars all over Europe now) where the location makes it a bit impractical to travel to Milton Keynes.

As the regards the 'anyone' comment. No, not all SUperchips dealers are able to supply the TMS map (hence you need to ask) as we vet the supplier netwok to only allow those with proper technical knowledge of Vauxhalls and workshops. For example, COurtenay is actually a Superchips dealer...but we don't allow them access to the TMS map

Comment

Think i will jsut go 2 mk and get it done propaly

Comment

Definitely the right the decision. If I got the superchip I would always have a niggling feeling at the back of my mind telling me that the car could be running better because the map is generic and not mapped specifically to the car.

Its is good for a convience factor though.

Comment

What about warranty though...

Does the supposed warranty from superchips cover the failed parts etc....

i.e if a part failed and vauxhall said nothing to do with me , then superchips said well guv it ain't our map....

you are in limbo.....

how much is a replacement turbo....

do you really notice the differene remapped....

(zafira) 4th on the standard map when chaging down from fifth at say 4k revs fails to spool properly, its almost like its been retarded....

how does the traction deal with first gear as its bad enough already....

i gotta say the hadling it awesome on the zaffy, I had a M5 and you cannot get the power down around the bends, sadly i sold it last week and bought a zaffy (mid life crisis on hold)...

M5 was awesome though, when you could lay down the power that is, turn off the traction in the wet and say goodbye.

still this is why i am looking at a remap as the standard car has quite a few flat spots in my opinion.

do your vxr's standard seem to pull from the start and not seem to be retarded, I have switched off the traction and it still seems the same.

drop down from 5th to 4th at about 4k and see if it feels like you are towing a caravan, it just does not seem to spool properly...

I think i need to try another vxr to see if its just mine at fault.....

also does the remap give you a on or off effect on the accelerator or is it progressive.

Comment

Originally posted by itolson
                              What about warranty though...
                              do you really notice the differene remapped....

how does the traction deal with first gear as its bad enough already....
                              still this is why i am looking at a remap as the standard car has quite a few flat spots in my opinion.

also does the remap give you a on or off effect on the accelerator or is it progressive.
                              Warranty - simply put TMS/VXRPC/Courtenay/Regal are the major Vauxhall UK tuners and fully warranty their work - if the problem is due to a faultt with their supplied product they will cover it. If it isn't related at all VX should. TMS are also a VX authorised service & parts centre so I guess they talk to themselves to sort it :wink:

The original map is, as you say, very on/off especially in 1 and 2, and difficult to drive smoothly - a remap brings in the power much more progressivley and hugely improves the drivability of the car. (Do VX do this just to make the car seem fast to a potential punter on a test drive? )
                              A remap does makes a huge difference to the car - very much a why didnt they do it like this originally :? ...but thats another post lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X