Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coil and spark plug replacements under warranty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil and spark plug replacements under warranty?

How do you know if your car is affected by this? does it go by the chassis number? given I have just had a letter from vauxhall stating our vx220 is due in for a recall due to hose and wheel faults- the car is 4 and a half years old and it's taken till now to send me a letter!!!

VX220 in on Thursday at the stealers so any answers would be appreciative given I may have to part with my vxr aswell.

Andy

i had a 13 year old pajero that got recalled and it wasnt even an english car.

a recalls a recall mate. if it needs doing it doesnt matter how old it is.
    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
      i had a 13 year old pajero that got recalled and it wasnt even an english car.

a recalls a recall mate. if it needs doing it doesnt matter how old it is.
      Yer just getyou dealer to phone vauxhall and they can tell if it needs doing.

I have just had mine done. the service bloke foned vauxhall and they gave him it there and then.

I belive it is the number they need

Comment

I had to call customer services and give them my reg, then they advised me that mine was one of the recall models. After a trip to the dealers I was advised that the recall was only for the plugs and seeing as i had changed mine already i didnt get anything done. Since this i have been advised that the coil pack may indeed need changed due to the wrong plugs being fitted in the first instance.

Comment

Originally posted by m4rtc
          Since this i have been advised that the coil pack may indeed need changed due to the wrong plugs being fitted in the first instance.
          Great!

Comment

yeah i asked my dealer bout this for my 56 plate vxr, he said he put it on the machine i think he called it it had a problem so he reset the ecu, then it was fine, i have bought new iridium plugs to be fitted but still bit confused about coil packs. also my central locking is so tempremental i now lock and unlock with the key itself.
            Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

Recall is for plugs, however if the car has been driven for some distance (cutoff point seems to be 2k miles+) then there is a chance that the coil pack has been damaged so would need replacing. Only way to tell is to drive the car with a tech2 attached and monitor cylinder retard, if its too much then the coil pack needs replacing. Recall note is done by chassis number so give them that rather than your licence plate.

Comment

if it runs ok leave it alone and stop worrying if it dont run it in the dealers and let them sort it out thats why we got warranty
                sigpic
                stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                M.U.F.C.
                http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Recall for plugs change!

In next week

Comment

I might phone my dealer and see if they actually did a tech 2 to see if the coilpack needed changing. They changed the plugs but maybe they forgot to change the coilpack too.

Comment

Has been mentioned but on the TIS print out the tech is required to put a yello paint mark on the rocker/cam cover so at a glance they can see its been done.

When i worked for VW/AUDI we recalled all MKii Golf's that was back in 1997 so a golf from 1984 was called in dont make much sence.

Comment

Not had my one done have not been contacted by anyone.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

i was not contacted either but after seeing it on here i got my Tech to sort it but it went back to the selling dealers for the suspention recall and they asked if it had been done as i said i dont want yellow paint on the cam cover.

TMS
                          Can you comfirm the yellow paint dot as per TIS. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c
                            i was not contacted either but after seeing it on here i got my Tech to sort it but it went back to the selling dealers for the suspention recall and they asked if it had been done as i said i dont want yellow paint on the cam cover.

TMS
                            Can you comfirm the yellow paint dot as per TIS. Thanks.
                            Yes, SOP is to place a yellow dot to signify the plugs ve been changed as the Vauxhall system takes a while to update when we send the details back that the recall has been done (submitted at same time we send then warranty claim). However, we've found it that the number of miles done on the car with the incorrect plugs has a direct bearing on the effect on the coil pack so we're running tests on each car (basically running with a tech2 attached an monitoring cylinder ignition retard) to make sure everything is fueling/igniting correctly.

We've found that most cars who've had a few thousand miles on have had damage to the coil pack and the cars ECU is backing off the power due to incorrect ignition (the car is doing its job by protecting itself) which is easily resolved by replacing the coil pack and repeating the test. We've had one car come in which was retarding by up to 12 degrees on all 4 cylinders drop to 8 degrees when we changed the plugs then 3 degress when we changed the coil pack. However the cars ECU does need some time (even with a reset) to learn to run at higher power again. The cars do appear to be a little inconsistent so theres no rule to follow (hence no change to the recall) its just a question of a simple test that the dealer will be able to carry out.

Comment

After the replacements what was the retard, and what power was it running?

Comment

Working...
                              X