This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astra vxr drifting?

anyone else noticed the way that the car feels sometimes when fast cornering. gives a sensation of the back end slipping very controlably. never got this on any previous cars i have owned/driven.

someone did mention before about the car pivoting around the driver and this may explain it but just wondering if you all feel this?

never felt this before I' ve done some pretty heavy cornering, but never really had major problems with the back end

Comment

I would be surprised to call it drifting, I thought it would only be possible for rear wheel drive cars to drift (Please correct me if I am wrong). If anything the back getting loose would be lift off oversteer mid-corner (very dangerous), otherwise I would have thought Vauxhall would always set the car up to understeer for safety.

Comment

whatever it is, I like it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcobbler
          I would be surprised to call it drifting, I thought it would only be possible for rear wheel drive cars to drift (Please correct me if I am wrong). If anything the back getting loose would be lift off oversteer mid-corner (very dangerous), otherwise I would have thought Vauxhall would always set the car up to understeer for safety.
          it is a drift of sort,but a rwd can sustain a drift where as a fwd finds grip and straightens up.

i think your spot on about the lift off oversteer.
          i find the car quite well balanced through the twistys.i only suffer from mild understeer when lumping my foot down mid corner.
          lifting off sharply does make the tail wag,quite easy to catch(so far).

Comment

i have only had FWD cars as my own and previously when i would end up side ways you would always feel it "catch" and straighten up. i dont get this with the vxr and so i am starting to think that it isnt actually sliding it is just the way the car is balanced giving a similar sensation??

i think it may be when lift off throttle mid corner but cant say that i had definately noticed that. i will have to go out and test

it doesnt feel as if the car is loosing control so am not really bothered by it.

Comment

Talking of drifting, I have 4 spots left on the HSV drift/oversteer training day on 22nd Jan @ Silverstone.

Please note that you will not be able to use your car as its not RWD, but you can use the school's car.

Details..

Venue Rental: £1400
              Instructor: £150 each (can take 5 trainees)
              School Car: £400 (1 per instructor)

Now, assuming 15 people with 10 using school cars (2 of) and 5 using their own, this equates to

Using track car = ~£205
              Using own car = ~£125

If anyone is interested, PM me

Comment

Re: astra VXR drifting?

Originally posted by James
                anyone else noticed the way that the car feels sometimes when fast cornering. gives a sensation of the back end slipping very controlably. never got this on any previous cars i have owned/driven.

someone did mention before about the car pivoting around the driver and this may explain it but just wondering if you all feel this?
                Oh I love that feeling...makes the VXR what it is IMO. Lotus set it up to pivot around the gearstick rather than the driver. I love it when I feel that pivot - I don't know why, I just do! :?

As already said, it's probably lift off oversteer. I like that also!!

As you say it's controlllable. I've see what these cars are capable of on a track driven by two current touring cars drivers, Tom Chilton and Paul O'Neil. Paul drove a T8 though. Amazing cornering!

It's that 'drifting' feeling that I like with this car. I've always felt you could see that behaviour when watching the BTCC cars going round a track...magical...I'll miss those Astras!

Comment

I have this feeling form time to time but i have only had the car since its been wet. I do it for abit of fun now, get the back end flying out. just ease off the gas

Comment

Working...
                  X