Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had rod failure on astra z20leh.Whats max bhp anyone running on stock internal

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had rod failure on astra z20leh.Whats max bhp anyone running on stock internal

I recently picked up a 50k miles stage 3 courtney astra vxr running around 300bhp its been at that figure for 40,000 miles Im after more power (coming from 4g63 ownership) and thinking of going for the k04/k16 hybrid hopefully to flow enough to get more than 350bhp after mapping inlet change and possibly some cams thrown in 380bhp max target would be nice!

I have to be realistic as only paid 4k for this car so i dont want to go silly i am doing it on the cheap (its a second car to slag around in) and im wondering if i can take the power up without tearing the engine down just to do the rods.

Now i know from doing research the general concenses seems once you go above 320bhp you need to do them but my question is has any one had rod failure on this engine and at what power? If so was it the rod or the bolt that let go?

I am thinking i could perhaps slip some apr rod bolts even on the oem rods if its the bolt that lets go even.

I have a spare let engine sat here so if it did let go id just rebuild that one forged and drop that in in any case im thinking.

For the sake of about £300 for rods and bolts is it worth just uprating the bolts? Anyway from the ones ive seen its the actual rod that bends so rods will need changed if going for hybrid set up.

With regards to power on a hybrid, very unlikely you will see past 360bhp, the exhaust manifold is restrictive so its the limiting factor, the compressor wheels on the hybrids are capable of more power but the exhaust manifold limits the power level to about 360bhp max.
    Rabbid Tuned Stage 4.5 - 355bhp - TD S3 Hybrid, AET ported exhaust manifold, TS 10psi actuator, TS recirc valve, Full 3" Piper decat non-res exhaust, Forge intercooler, AEM dual nozzle WMI kit, cdti hose with AEM cone, Regal cams, Klasen inlet manifold, Piper single valve springs, Percy retainers, PEC i-beam rods+ARP bolts, Skimmed Head, Protec 340lph fuel pump, Siemens 630cc injectors, AP front big brake kit, Vectra VXR rear brake conversion

Comment

Steven knows his stuff

Courtenay do the rods as part of the turbo upgrade with the hybrid mate as they won't let you run their kit with any risk of causing damage. It's the torque that bends them anyway not the power so I'd take the 320 with a pinch of salt.

I've not heard of anyone's rods go yet, but most people upgrade everything together to be safe, so unless you can afford to do it all at once it would be silly to just jump straight into power upgrades if its gonna kill your car.

Just my two pence worth
      Astra Edition #105
      Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

Comment

Don't chase power if the car can't take it. Otherwise cutting corners could leave you with an expensive repair bill.

Comment

Wh

Thanks for the comments im aware of the restrictive exh manifold and Im thinking of trying the NKK one to combat that. I'm also aware that back pressure can cause valve float and a lean situation so a 3" system from downpipe and updated valve springs is a must along with fuel pump and correct mapping.

As for the rod issue im well aware that preventative is better than cure but tuning is about pushing boundaries afterall and after 2 days of searching on Google and in forums im still yet to find someone that has bent or blown the rods below 400bhp hence why Im asking.

It's probably going to cost me best part of a grand to get the steel rods in and having a spare engine here that's probably worth £ 1200 im thinking of trying my luck but just wonderednif anyone could contribute there experiences .

Comment

Originally posted by stevenbarrowVXR View Post
            For the sake of about £300 for rods and bolts is it worth just uprating the bolts? Anyway from the ones ive seen its the actual rod that bends so rods will need changed if going for hybrid set up.

With regards to power on a hybrid, very unlikely you will see past 360bhp, the exhaust manifold is restrictive so its the limiting factor, the compressor wheels on the hybrids are capable of more power but the exhaust manifold limits the power level to about 360bhp max.
            How do you find the stage 3 td turbo Steve and is this a k04/k16 hybrid do you know ?

Comment

Ill be keeping an eye on this one! If you are happy to be our guinea pig I'd love to see how long the car can run for at 380bhp on standard rods.

Might save us all a lot of money
              Astra Edition #105
              Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

Comment

Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
                Ill be keeping an eye on this one! If you are happy to be our guinea pig I'd love to see how long the car can run for at 380bhp on standard rods.

Might save us all a lot of money
                Each car will vary.

I guess you can push the engine more if it's not an aggressive map with gradual torque..

Comment

If you have a spare engine why not sell it for 1200 and do the bits required to your engine

Comment

I have seen a few bend before, im sure if you google it you will find a few that have had that issue, im sure if you ask wgm, rabbid, gcap, rnd, courts, ntj etc etc they will have pics of cars that needed rebuilt due to bent rods. When you see the std rods out of the car and compared to forged rods you can easily see why they bend.

The TD stage 3 hybrid is a brilliant turbo, its a bit laggier than the ko6 but holds the power the whole way to 7500rpm whereas the ko6 starts to run out of pull about 6500-6700rpm. Im up about 30bhp now compared to my ko6 set up and all i changed was turbo and actuator. Whether its a k16 compressor wheel ive no idea, they all ko4 turbos originally.
                    Last edited by stevenbarrowVXR; 28 December 2015, 08:13 AM.
                    Rabbid Tuned Stage 4.5 - 355bhp - TD S3 Hybrid, AET ported exhaust manifold, TS 10psi actuator, TS recirc valve, Full 3" Piper decat non-res exhaust, Forge intercooler, AEM dual nozzle WMI kit, cdti hose with AEM cone, Regal cams, Klasen inlet manifold, Piper single valve springs, Percy retainers, PEC i-beam rods+ARP bolts, Skimmed Head, Protec 340lph fuel pump, Siemens 630cc injectors, AP front big brake kit, Vectra VXR rear brake conversion

Comment

Ok sounds like the stock frame stage 3 td turbo is the one for me .

Do you think I'd be ok with a std vxr pump and injectors or would it be necessary to upgrade those too ?

Comment

Ok sounds like the stick frame stage 3 td turbo is the one for me .

Do you think I'd be ok with a std vxr pump and injectors or would it be necessary to upgrade those too ?

Comment

Im pretty sure all tuners recoment diffrent mate. Ideal youd need to speek to your tuner

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

Bigger injectors and uprated fuel pump definitely needed for stage 4-4.5 power, again not worth not changing them for a few hundred pound, std injectors and pump be on their limit

Comment

Working...
                            X