This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtenay lightweight flywheel

was over at Courtenays the other day and had a look at there new lightweight flywheel for the vxr does look really good,had 1 on my gsi turbo and made loads of difference gonna have to put this on the shopping list

How much is it dude?

Was thinking about this, and maybe a uprated clutch :wink:
    sigpic
    My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

Not really much point to be honest, real benefit is if you are revving the engine hard to get the power (N/A engines)

You may even lose torque at the bottom end, although it will rev a bit better... money better spent in other areas IMO

Comment

there must be a benefit of lightening the bottom end as vauxhall did a similar thing by removing the counter rotating balancer shafts from both the 20 xer homolagtion car and also the vxr engine and from my experience it worked really well on my astra gsi turbo and were not talking race car lightweight the new flywheel is only a fraction lighter than vauxhall were using on there engines in the mid eighties its just that the new engines are generally built as world engines and are therefore fitted with heavy flywheels to comply with emission regulation in far flung countries will find out a price

Comment

I am not saying there is no point, there certainly is for highly tuned engines...

Just not for milder applications for the outlay...

Comment

what prices do these come in at then
            Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

Thnk they are £179, check Courtenaysport.co.uk and under Astra H in the tuning section.

Comment

the engine will rev easier low down but will loose inertia at top end. you could loose bhp but you will increse throttle response.

not ideal in an already powerful front wheel drive car
                stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Just a posh way of saying what I did! :P

Comment

lol, sorry

the balancer shafts where (apparenlty) removed to quiten the engine (according to courtenays website)
                    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
                      the balancer shafts where (apparenlty) removed to quiten the engine (according to courtenays website)
                      From CourtenaySport Website (VXR Tuning Page) ......
                      "Gone are the Z20LET’s counter rotating balancer shafts. This sharpens response whilst helping the engine rev much more quickly."

Comment

This could be one for the future when the clutch lets go, as g box will then be off any way, big job for a fly wheel i would thing.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

how much is the racing clutch or whatever they have over at courts ? cos i cant find that on there site ?
                          sigpic
                          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                          M.U.F.C.
                          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I have experienced many lightened flywheels. Its not all about power, where the biggest advantage is the ability to balance the car on the throttle in a far more predicatable and accurate way. Gear changes are also found to be smoother, faster and response is lifted. Not really sure how you loose BHP, torque perhaps, what can happen is the trans loses found through the system are reduced and allows the power thats already there to be better utilised.

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave
                              This could be one for the future when the clutch lets go, as g box will then be off any way, big job for a fly wheel i would thing.
                              fly wheel is very easy to change when the box is off dave. clutch off and then about 10 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. it doesnt disturb the crank seal so should only take an extra 10 mins.

i agree that it will be worth doing if your taking the box off anyway but i wouldnt see any real point in taking the car apart just to change the flywheel.

ive had them on my old fwd cars and tbh it just gives them a better excuse to spin. also, when you back off the throttle the car slows down alot quicker as it hasnt got the inertia of a big wheel. try driving in 1st and backing off the throttle (its like slamming the brakes on) its abit like this.

mine was a race flywheel though so maybe this was bit extreme.
                              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X