This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hairline scratches

washed the car today and noticed a fair few hairline scratches all over the car none are deep at all is this just normal wear and tear ? anyone else notice this ? think im going to try and tee cut them out a bit i think all cars get them just black as we know shows them up that little bit more.
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Have a look at the Detailing section on here... Sounds like "Cobwebing"

Comment

i know how you feel.it seems that swirls are a fact of life for people that clean there cars alot(not saying you do).
      im taking a break from cleaning until i can come up with a more efficient way of cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by leepy
        im taking a break from cleaning until i can come up with a more efficient way of cleaning
        Easy.... Pay someone else to do it

Comment

ah i see funny my fault i had been jet washing my car using the brush on body work too, and drying it with towels after. how silly of me, will get some nice microfibre mittens i think

Comment

Dont tell vxrmarc...

Comment

jet washing my car using the brush on body work

T-CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

If you take off more than about 8 microns you will get clearcoat failure....

Try Meguiars scratch-x and work in sections gently as its not too abrasive....
              HeavenlyDetail
              Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

whats clearcoat failure?

Comment

Agreed this should be in detailing section but this is my advice on products for a good scratch free wash....

2 buckets
                  2 grit guards
                  1 zymol sponge (my preferred method) or lambswool wash mitt
                  1 good shampoo (zymol autowash £5.99 halfrauds is brilliant!)
                  Not hot water
                  2 drying towels : sonus ultimate drying or aquatouch towels
                  1 good quick detailer spray : megs quick detailer or pinnacle crystal mist or megs last touch etc...
                  1 buffing towel for end : sonus concours buffing towel is brilliant!!!

And care and attention....

Have asked Robbie to stick up detailing guides he has found as they are really informative and easy to follow so have removed my guides i posted!!!

Have a read and pm if you want advice...
                  HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by Arden_One
                    whats clearcoat failure?
                    Take more than 8 microns off, and you weaken the clearcoat, this is the uv protection for the colour, this is why only take off 1-2 microns!!!!!

This is also why it is so important to at least treat your car to a regular or at least once a month wax or seal as it protects the paintwork...

All this b*llsh*it from dealers saying the diamondbrites and supaguards mean you never have to protect your car again is terrible.....It is only a sealent at the end of the day and the price you pay is only for the application time as the products are about a fiver....I have about 3 sets in the garage i will never use...
                    In fact i,ll take them to brands and give them away to the lazy cleaners to atleast give their cars a chance of a healthy protection in the future!!!

If you see older cars with like varnish flaking off the bonnet or roof this is clearcoat failure on an accelerated scale......

The only thing that will strip wax from a car is contamination from road salts , carbon etc and with a regular wax or polish your paintwork will forever be protected!!!
                    HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by BO55 VXR
                      Originally posted by leepy
                      Easy.... Pay someone else to do it
                      cheeky bugger.

i do not believe there is a way to clean a car using a mit,and towel drying
                      without causing damage.
                      that simple.

good washing technique only limits the amount of damage caused.

Comment

Re: hairline scratches

Originally posted by corsasrisilver
                        washed the car today and noticed a fair few hairline scratches all over the car none are deep at all is this just normal wear and tear ? anyone else notice this ? think im going to try and tee cut them out a bit i think all cars get them just black as we know shows them up that little bit more.
                        A carnauba wax like zymol , pinnacle souveran , 50/50 , p21,s will hide these much better than a sealent as a sealent will highlight scratches more!!
                        HeavenlyDetail

Comment

is it ok to use the jet wash brush on your body work obviously being gentle or should they only be used on the wheels and just spray the body work

Comment

LEEPY SAID:
                            do not believe there is a way to clean a car using a mit,and towel drying
                            without causing damage.
                            that simple.

Totally disagree.....

The most important thing to remember when washing a car is too have lubrication....End of!

Your car must be wet or foamed beforehand....
                            You must only work in straight lines not circles...
                            Start from top work down...
                            Change mitt for under panels and wheels...
                            Always rinse mitt in second bucket after every application on car...
                            Sheet water off car and begin drying....

Drying..

I always pat dry never rub towel over car.
                            Drop towel onto roof and pat off or drag across roof..
                            When car almost dry i change to a dry towel and spray with qd spray as
                            1. it helps with the aid of drying and
                            2. it removes any smears or waterspots and leaves the car shiny ready for a buff once totally dry.....

If anything touches dry paintwork it will cause friction and will scratch....
                            All good towels will have perfect edges and be either waffle weave or terry. :wink:
                            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by corsasrisilver
                              is it ok to use the jet wash brush on your body work obviously being gentle or should they only be used on the wheels and just spray the body work
                              I WOULD NEVER USE A JET WASH BRUSH ON ANYTHING APART FROM THE PATIO!!!!

Have just bought karcher and a foam lance from Autobrite and this is what it does to car...
                              Spray on foam , leave for 5 mins and spray off...
                              The foam dwells and eats into the dirt and when sprayed off 75% of your dirt is already gone ready for 2 bucket method!!
                              Plus its great fun to spray the neighbours with!
                              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Working...
                              X