X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh my god! - Windows

I do not believe it....

My girlfriend had the day off work today, and with icy windows on my car, she offered to scrape the ice off for me while i got ready for work, which I thought was really nice of her. Anyways, I got half way to work, and thought 'what the hell are all of these marks on all of my windows'?!

There are literally millions of them, really fine, all over each window, so I calls her... I sez 'what bleep bleep bleep did you use to get the ice off my windows'!?..........

Response; A f***ing nail file!!!! Spoke to Vaux, and a mate with RAC, they both say only solution is replace all windows - I do not believe it, she is really upset, fair one she was trying to do me a favour - so i'm at home tonight with a six pack as opposed to a night up town.... Gutted!

Mr Marc, please say you know of a magic product to help

gutted mate!

depends how bad they are. i have taken light scratches out of glass before using t-cut type products. if they are really bad they will need to be replaced.

Comment

Gobsmacked m8, it's a wonder the human race can survive when ppl as thick as that exist
      A nailfile to get ice off windows FFS :? :?

Comment

oh dear lord!!!! :? bless ya hun x i wouldn't want to have to replace them all x

Comment

what product did you use james? I know t-cut will shift paint, but glass? Must be some serious stuff...

For the record, she isn't 'thick' by a long shot, just a dumb moment - although a costly one! She earns double what I do, but I never like to take money off her

(Not being sensitive here, but I'm not keen on a flaming session re. my girlfriend, was looking for advice to sort the scratches before I hand over cash for new windows)

Comment

i just used the std t-cut. used it on a few things such as watch faces etc... and gets scratches out. will only work if light though. could try swirl removal techniques as in the detailing section but i guess will still only work for light scratches. sorry cant be of more help. would make me feel sick if i had to replace all windows (make sure you get a good discount if you do need to replace them).

might be worth sending a pm to vxrmarc for advice on products to use. i am sure if there is something out there to help you he will be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

for a moment i read it as, she used a nail to scratch it off.

nail boards are normally quite a rough emery, and given that to remove ice, its a to and fro motion over the same spots, it might be quite deep to polish. i hope for your wallets sake it does polish.

we use megs #10 and #17 at work for aircraft windscreens and cabin windows, which get heavily scratched over time, but they are generally a gold impregnated resin, as opposed to glass. it has been used on glass and mirrors though with great effect.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars1017.html

for slightly deeper scratches, we use micromesh, which are very fine abrasive cloths

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/microme...412.dept_l3.0/

but its probably not wise to go down this road, as you may end up with swirls

Comment

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=20

The scratch repair kit is a resonable price and also heard it works

Comment

Originally posted by James
                  i just used the std t-cut. used it on a few things such as watch faces etc... and gets scratches out. will only work if light though. could try swirl removal techniques as in the detailing section but i guess will still only work for light scratches. sorry cant be of more help. would make me feel sick if i had to replace all windows (make sure you get a good discount if you do need to replace them).

might be worth sending a pm to vxrmarc for advice on products to use. i am sure if there is something out there to help you he will be able to point you in the right direction.
                  FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT USE T-CUT!!!
                  it will make the scratchs a million times worse!

cerium oxide is the one chemical to polish scratchs out of glass.
                  i looked the stuff up a couple of monthe ago when i put 5-6 scratchs in our £600 fish tank .
                  i believe windscreen places use this.
                  if you can catch the scratch with your nail then replacing them is the only option!
                  feel for ya mate!

Comment

there is a much cheaper way but you might struggle to get hold of it!!! its called jewellers rouge, obviously you can try a jewellers shop or a try a local glazing company, you will also need a buffing machine. As i am a glazier myself we use this for getting scratches out of double glazed units and single glass, but it is quite rare nowadays to get hold of!! I will try and get hold of some for you if you like?

Comment

you must be gutted mate , but there must be some company around that can polish them for you , do not let her scrape the snow off the car
                      sigpic
                      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                      M.U.F.C.
                      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

toothpaste worked when my oldest took a thomas the tank flippin engine to my telly screen.
                        but she wont do it again and u can fart anytime u like now under the duvet

Comment

NELLYC to the rescue
                          nice one mate

Comment

Oh NO!!

Have e-mailed Paul Dalton to get some advice on this !!!!
                            HeavenlyDetail
                            Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by LouiseVXR
                              oh dear lord!!!! :? bless ya hun x i wouldn't want to have to replace them all x
                              Maybe replace the girlfriend though

Hope you get it sorted mate

Comment

Working...
                              X