This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra VXR 1st week report....

Just a short report having owned my VXR for 1 week.
    I ordered my VXR on May the 20th, it’s been a long wait, over this time allot of my initial excitement had drained away. However once I pulled into Pentagon of Derby, I started to get the buzz back again- what a good looking car this is, well to my eyes at least!
    All the paper work sorted and I was on my way home back to Norfolk on my first drive. My first thoughts were clouded whilst I was trying all the knobs and levers in a vain effort to get the seat lower, this was something a press tester had also noted. Whilst I do like to sit a little lower, I quickly became accustomed to the position and do not even think about it now. The steering is a major plus it feels very positive and is very quick to change directions from the dead ahead, whilst providing plenty of feed back.
    When I placed my order I specified the 19” wheel option, I had my fingers crossed on this one as the roads in Norfolk are not that special. To my relief the ride is very good, especially as the tyres are 35 series; in fact I did not even give it a thought for the first 30-40 minutes of use which must be a fair testament. I would say the ride compares with an Astra G Turbo on the standard 215/40X17’s.
    Whilst allowing the engine to bed in its hard to gauge properly the suspension set up, one thing though that is immediately obvious is that the shell is very stiff you can really feel the suspension working rather than the shell flexing to soak up the bumps. This makes the car feel much more settled something which I’m looking forward to testing properly when the engine has a few more miles on it and the roads have a bit more grip available!
    The interior has a very well built feel to it. The press said the gear knob was uncomfortable, due to the stitching, I think Vauxhall may have softened this as I do not find it at all uncomfortable. The climate control (thanks Vauxhall) is very good and displays very well on the multi function display.
    As I said before its hard to get an accurate picture of the engine as its still to a greater extent running in. I would agree with some of what the press said regarding the throttle response, it does seem to be quite aggressive and not as linier as say the MK4 Astra ZLET, however this will not be difficult to recalibrate in the map. The gearbox is an absolute pleasure to use 6th gear making motorway driving a pleasure both from a noise and an economy point of view.
    I hope you all enjoy your Astra’s as much as I’m going to enjoy mine..
    Thanks to Mark and Richard at Pentagon and hello to all on this site.
    All the best Jon Shield
    sigpic
    29 Years as Vauxhall Tuners

Hello Jon, and welcome to the site.
    Nice report, look forward to an update soon.

Comment

Thanks, good luck with the site.
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Jon Welcome to our site and I hope you enjoy it. I don't think I have youtr patience. Glad your happy with the car. Enjoy!!!

Comment

You sure dont ! defector ! :wink:
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Jon, good to see your enjoying the car, and welcome to the site. :wink:
            Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi XP Sporthatch in White plus extra bits.
            Land Rover LR2 HSE

Comment

hello jon. do the vxr performance centre offer stage one with more bhp than i got? even if they do run a stage one with more bhp do they run it without exceeding the temp for cylinders?

Comment

Dean,
                Having worked with Jon for many years, I am confident that he has produced a product which ultimately is very safe and reliable. What I would say is that that Jon is generally cautious on his figures, too many times you see claims that are way out, so don't be too bothered and 6 bhp here or there, its on the road where it really matters. Only my opinion chap.

Comment

sparky,
                  thanks for your opinion. i only met jon on monday and he is very good at his job, i know his work is safe and reliable and if im honest i wont use anyone else to carry out work on my car. its just i think some people on this site think there going to get alot out of there cars and its going to be safe. but are the people that are doing it checking the temp of the engine, turbo etc. if there not the engine isnt going to last very long is it. i am happy with my car and i know its running as best as it can at the moment and i know its safe

Comment

Originally posted by clarkeda
                    sparky,
                    thanks for your opinion. i only met jon on monday and he is very good at his job, i know his work is safe and reliable and if im honest i wont use anyone else to carry out work on my car. its just i think some people on this site think there going to get alot out of there cars and its going to be safe. but are the people that are doing it checking the temp of the engine, turbo etc. if there not the engine isnt going to last very long is it. i am happy with my car and i know its running as best as it can at the moment and i know its safe
                    I would say that the people playing it safe have not had it done yet !!! Those people are waiting for as much information as possible, from as many sources as possible !!!

Comment

well i know my car is running safe because of the people involved in doing it, jon at courtenay knows what hes talking about and so does the bloke who does the software

Comment

Working...
                      X