This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best panel or cone air filter

hi just looking into getting a new filter (yea all got to start somewhere lol)

which filter is best to go for (i.e price, noise n performance) thanks

If you go down the route of a cone filter make sure you have a cold air feed to it otherwise your car could run rough (stalling etc). This is due to it sucking in all the heat from your engine (turbo engines get very hot).

Panel filters are the cheaper way to go but probably wont sound as good, not sure on the performance issue as a panel filter with a good cold air feed will be just as good as a cone filter with a cold air feed (IMO).

Theres all sorts of arguments on this subject, some people say cone filters are the way to go but others say that they can ruin your engine due to passing particals........in the end it's up to you but a cold air feed is a must.

Comment

I run a K&N induction kit and it runs and sounds fantastic!

Comment

Re: best panel or cone air filter

Originally posted by chris_pick
        hi just looking into getting a new filter (yea all got to start somewhere lol)

which filter is best to go for (i.e price, noise n performance) thanks
        Your better off just changing your standard paper panel filter more regularly - the gains from a replacement panel will not be noticeable and a cone will only give you more noise (and perhaps a bit of throttle response).

Andy

Comment

i have a Courtenays sport filter elliment and its fine was about £30.00

Comment

for some reason vauxhall engines have never liked induction kits. ive neevr seen a study that proves cone filters increase power but ive seen loads of cars actually loosing performance becasue of sucking hot air in as said above.

turbo engines make this worse as the heat from the turbo is a seriuos issue.

you could use a sealed induction kit like an appollo or similar but at 200 quid youd better spending the money on somthing else.

if you really want a perforamnce filter then im with most others on this one and go for a panel filter.
            stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

cheers think im gonna go for the courtney sport panel filter... heard that about u lose power with the cone filter due to the heat of the engine

Comment

yeah i have the cs panel filter works fine for me too. i have had in the past k&n's and even vipers which are enclosed the k&n for me did nothing but the viper gave improved throttle response but at 250 quid for one id just put it towards the next stage
                Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

cant really go wrong for £30 quid either

Comment

I got a Pipercross VIPER and i have to say,it made a lot of difference in throttle response and pick up, and hasnt changed the sound, which i pleased about to be honest cos didnt want it to sound like a Saxo

The Only thing im a little sceptical about tho is my 'Spanner' light has come on, its been to my old dealership and they suspect the Air Mass Meter has packed up, it may be coincidence, or it may have beencaused by the filter, i know the oil used on the filters can get into the Meter and screw it up, but i made sure there was litterally none on it when i fitted it.

See what happens, i wont be taking it off just yet, as im friendly with the guys at my old dealership cos i used to work there and they will sort me out,and it does make i difference on the car.

Heres a pic
                    sigpic
                    My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

Originally posted by Dazturbo6502
                      I got a Pipercross VIPER and i have to say,it made a lot of difference in throttle response and pick up, and hasnt changed the sound, which i pleased about to be honest cos didnt want it to sound like a Saxo

The Only thing im a little sceptical about tho is my 'Spanner' light has come on, its been to my old dealership and they suspect the Air Mass Meter has packed up, it may be coincidence, or it may have beencaused by the filter, i know the oil used on the filters can get into the Meter and screw it up, but i made sure there was litterally none on it when i fitted it.

See what happens, i wont be taking it off just yet, as im friendly with the guys at my old dealership cos i used to work there and they will sort me out,and it does make i difference on the car.

Heres a pic
                      It's the oil in the filter which provides the filtration - hardly any oil, hardly any...

It's almost certainly the oil that has screwed your MAF and is the very reason I won't touch oiled filters period on any car with a MAF (they are so delicate).

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by VXRNUTTER
                        Originally posted by Dazturbo6502

Heres a pic
                        It's the oil in the filter which provides the filtration - hardly any oil, hardly any...

It's almost certainly the oil that has screwed your MAF and is the very reason I won't touch oiled filters period on any car with a MAF (they are so delicate).

Andy
                        I know that, it does have oil, just a small amount, you dont need loads otherwise it just attratcs too much dirt and stuff. It MAY just be a coincidence! I would know, being a Tech :wink:
                        sigpic

Comment

Daz, where did you run the cold air feed to?

Thinking about a cold air feed with the original filter housing, did this on my Calibra Turbo and it did make a difference.

Comment

I've got a K'n'N apollo induction kit on mine. I've had it on for about 6 months now and it hasn't made any difference to the "air mass metre". The main reason i got the induction kit over the pannel filter is cause it looks way better than the standard air box. Sounds slightly better aswell. Made it sound like i'm running a bigger turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Toddy
                              Daz, where did you run the cold air feed to?

Thinking about a cold air feed with the original filter housing, did this on my Calibra Turbo and it did make a difference.
                              I just linked it to the original intake, as there is no where else to run it really to get air, and it not look untidy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X