This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milltek tail pipe section rust and holes

cleaned the car yesterday and when i came to clean the back of it i noticed the tail section that sticks out under the bumper was all rusty.as it is a stainless exhust it thought this would not happen.after washing the rear of the car and the tail section the rust had gone.all's well me thinks but on closer inspection the tail section has about 10 quite deep pit marks in it.the only thing i can think of is that the salt the gritters use had got on to tail section and had begun to corrode the metal away
    this is just a warning to all you other folks with milltek's on to keep an eye on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the marks washed off it cant be rust.

t304 grade stainless steel takes years to tarnish or corode. and even if it does it will take for ever to actually go right through.

occasionally where i work (i work in heavy industry) cars get covered in metal dust particles which stick to your car then rust so it appears your car has small rust spots. these normally wash off or worse case polish off.

what it also could be is weld spatter that has landed on the stainless and has started to rust a bit. these should chip off with a bit pf persuasion.

i promise you though. the actual tail pipe can not yet be rusty and you will probs never see it rust anyway
    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

i work for a major player in the white goods market and we had a problem with people filling there dishwashers up with salt and then not putting it on a wash for a day or so.some of the spilt salt corroded holes in the stainless steel tanks.poss same thing with the exhust as only started
      with the cold weather and the gritters being out.it is def not weld splatter as tried to polish it out with autosolve and there are about 10 poss 1 to 2mm pits in the section.well hacked off.

Comment

hmmmm...

maybe a fault in the exhaust.

mines a year old and its perfect.

i cant see the road salt causing it. if it is pitted its been there from manufacture
        stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Mine appears to be the same Michael but i think thats is only due to the fact that i hardly ever wash the car and even less the tailpipe.
          I know there was marks on it the one time i did clean it but a good rub with a silvo pad took it up like new.

Comment

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
            if the marks washed off it cant be rust.

t304 grade stainless steel takes years to tarnish or corode. and even if it does it will take for ever to actually go right through.

occasionally where i work (i work in heavy industry) cars get covered in metal dust particles which stick to your car then rust so it appears your car has small rust spots. these normally wash off or worse case polish off.

what it also could be is weld spatter that has landed on the stainless and has started to rust a bit. these should chip off with a bit pf persuasion.

i promise you though. the actual tail pipe can not yet be rusty and you will probs never see it rust anyway
            If the tailpipe is pitted it is entirely feasible that you may be able to wash the surface rust off - but it will return almost overnight due to the pitting.

Just give it a good polish with Autosol and then a coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss. This won't stop your problem, but a regular application will at least probvide a surface finish less inclined to retain the salt and also prevent water from getting in the pits and causing more rust.

Andy

Comment

Rear tail trim is most certainly full stainless so don't worry on that front. What happens is that they get very very hot and when dirt is allowed to dry on the service it can stain the metal quite easily. Usually a does of Autosol sorts it out. Of course if there are greater issues then your warranty is nice and solid and we'll sort it out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorney
                Rear tail trim is most certainly full stainless so don't worry on that front. What happens is that they get very very hot and when dirt is allowed to dry on the service it can stain the metal quite easily. Usually a does of Autosol sorts it out. Of course if there are greater issues then your warranty is nice and solid and we'll sort it out for you.
                cheers jt next time i am round mk will pop in a you can have a look,yhough i would not expect you to replace under warrenty as i dont think it a fault of the exhust [-o<

Comment

stainless steel coats itself. the chromium content produces an oxide layer on contact with oxygen. the stainless steel grade is important in showing how resistant to corrosion. there can be pitting caused by chlorides and/or sulfids. stainless will pit when deprived of an oxygen environment
                  milteks pretty bullet proof though mate
                  there is some mild acetic compound produced when h2s from the cat is dliuted with water but i'd guess this would only serve to self clean.
                  .theres a couple of hundreds grades but i am positive Ferritic stainless steels are highly corrosion resistant

Comment

VXR_Marc.

What do you recomend for cleaning the tail trim as i dont want to scratch it but want it to look shiny and new.

Comment

silvo gets it up very nicely

Comment

Thanks Shane

Comment

go for the can with the soaked material over the liquid, much easier to use

Comment

Working...
                          X