This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving car off the road for a year

Going to be leaving my astra vxr off the road for about a year and was just wondering if there are any precautions/ preventitive measures i should take to avoid any issues when i come back to use it?

The indicator on the car has just come up for its 3rd service (@ 49,000 - although service indicator is meant to be 20,000 it seems to come up circa 13-15k) and i'm pretty sure it could do with an oil change(last one 12k ago). I've read a few things about acid in the oil causing damage to bearings when a car is laid up and dont want any damage happening over the year. The cars going to be in a garage so not exposed to the elements but i've seen a few horror stories about damage caused when leaving a car for a considerable period.

If I were you i'd sell the car as it's only going to drop in value being sat about.
    I see dumb people.......
    .....they're everywhere
    .....they walk around like everyone else
    .....they don't even know they're dumb

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Master View Post
      If I were you i'd sell the car as it's only going to drop in value being sat about.

That's what I was thinking too...Invest the cash too and with the way things are right now you could make a bit by the time you buy again..

Comment

No point in selling tbh, bought it new for 17k march 2006, probably not even worth half that in this financial climate. Not much point in selling considering i've already lost the bulk of the money.I'll strip it out into a track day car before i'd get rid of it and properly brink it to the edge of destruction.

Comment

give the car a oil change and clean all the car
          park it up do you have some on that car Start the car once every few weeks for you
          the truth is out there
          part GSI part VXR
          tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

it will need regular starting otherwise oil seals are gonna go,i'd block it up and leave handbrake off.
            grease everything that needs it,but like stated you're better off getting rid of it

or get one of these http://www.carcapsule.com/CarCapsule_Quick_Video.htm
            sigpic

See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Fear No Evo! 508bhp,540lb/ft

Comment

Its never wise to store a car in a garage unprep'd !

However basic stuff I would do is run the car for at least 30mins every month to get the oil round the engine and if you have it out of the garage to do this, dont put it back into the garage wet whatever you do !

If you have a decent drive as well - use it by going up & down trying to brake as much as possible with the foot pedal and handbrake.

I wouldnt use the handbrake either in the garage .....
              sigpic

Comment

An oil change is on the cards next week (most likely going to do this myself) is it ok to change the oil and just leave the car? Going to make sure its regularly started by a family member so its get circulated and up to temp. Rb320 when you say 'block it up' what are you referring to? I want to keep the car in as good condtion as possible because once i'm back it will be getting turned into a track day car.
                Thanks for the tips

Comment

if your family member could give it a little run every other week it should be ok

Comment

Originally posted by meloe View Post
                    An oil change is on the cards next week (most likely going to do this myself) is it ok to change the oil and just leave the car? Going to make sure its regularly started by a family member so its get circulated and up to temp. Rb320 when you say 'block it up' what are you referring to? I want to keep the car in as good condtion as possible because once i'm back it will be getting turned into a track day car.
                    Thanks for the tips
                    take the wheels off and put it on axle stands,sorry for the confusion
                    sigpic

See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Fear No Evo! 508bhp,540lb/ft

Comment

Originally posted by rb320scooby View Post
                      take the wheels off and put it on axle stands,sorry for the confusion
                      Take the wheels off, take the engine out, drain eveything, take all the panels off, .............lol

Comment

then wrap in cling film

Comment

sounds like you have the engine all sorted, the other thing to do is to move it out of the garage and back in, best to give it a quick run just to keep the brake disks and pads from rotting once every 3 months will be ok for that
                          sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                          Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

if u jack it up u wont get flat spots on ur tyres if not moved for a long time

Comment

car sit on forecourts and sales line for years some of them if its only a year your leaving it for i wouldnt worry to much.

Service it and park it, arrange for someone to start it once a month and give it a run and thats about it.

A car rust more sitting in a garage that it would sitting outside, garages hold the damp in and there is no air circulation to stop the rust setting in.

Have the oil changed when you get back.

Some brand new cars sit in compound for years some of them before someone buys them and then they plate them up brand new.

Comment

Working...
                              X