This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Express-Type R Shoot out!

I've just picked up the new auto express to read the Honda type r shoot out?. As i saw the front cover,i thought,great! The hot hatch shoot out{thinking the astra vxr would be involved with the big guns???!}..........But to my amazment the astra vxr is not even in the line up....WOT!!!
    The type r takes on the mini cooper s,focus st,megane R230,mazda3 mps,seat leon FR2.0TFSi,Clio 197 & the VW Golf GTI edition30.

It goes on about the type r taking on all the new top hot hatches.
    So where is the stunning Astra Vxr?
    Before i bought my Vxr,i test drove a few hot hatches. The clio 182 & 197{i'm sure they were built out of lego?},type r & the focus st{which totally bored me on the test drive!},n then i came across the vxr,what a machine!
    The vxr on paper was floored,but after the test drive i couldn't see what all the fuss of torque steer etc etc was all about....What a great hot hatch i thought.
    So all in all,where is the vxr in the shoot out?
    For me the vxr is what a hot hatch is all about...Fast,Great fun,looks fantastic & most of all,affordable.
    So if you want a boring so called hot hatch to fit you & ya kids in,look in this weeks auto express/type r SHOOT OUT!

its because the vxr is a much faster car maybe???

they are all around the 200bhp mark

Comment

here you go theres a small video on here as well i get an email every week saves buying it http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/
      sigpic
      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
      M.U.F.C.
      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

This is a thread i was going to start myself but you beat me to it!!!!

I spoke to a couple of guys at ipc media today about this as my thoughts exactly......

Nearly everytime i read ANY article about hot hatches the vxr is never mentioned...few weeks ago clio - st - gti etc..

My take is unfortuntly that the car has been tarred with the torque steer brush!!!!!

It is my opinion and one i do not agree with as the mazda and the r27 are the same speed if not faster but the vxr always gets let down at the first hurdle!!!!

This test i was told was a combination of knockout stages leading to an ultimate shootout but the vxr was not even in the original pack.....

Therefore i can only presume it would be classed in the scooby v evo v r32 pack but again i dont think so as its direct competition is the focus st etc.......

Disapointing!!!!!!

Lets not forget this car whooped the scooby in autocar

and it also had a fantastic write up against an evo..

And more importantly it was the king of the gti,s last year...

so it must have fallen out of favour!!!

TRUST ME I HAVE EVERY WRITE UP THERE IS!!!!!!!!
        HeavenlyDetail
        Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Re: Auto Express-Type R Shoot out!

Originally posted by chopsy
          It goes on about the type r taking on all the new top hot hatches.
          So where is the stunning Astra VXR?
          That's perfectly fine. Just what I would expect. The VXR is a scorching hot hatch so in a class of it's own!

Auto Express used the term scorching way back when...just wish we had the cars in August as they suggest in the write up! Worth the wait though!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...all_astra.html

Comment

Originally posted by david cobley
            its because the VXR is a much faster car maybe???

they are all around the 200bhp mark
            The Mazda MPS is 260bhp actually.

But I agree that it is so stupid to not include our cars in these comparisons.
            sigpic

Comment

i thought it was 248bhp same engine as mazda6 mps

Comment

no offense meant maxell

Comment

No it has 260ps at 5500 revs. I was considering it when I was buying the OPC. But it was not coming until feb-mar this year and it would most likely cost much more than the OPC.
                  sigpic

Comment

258 actually according to Autocar at 5500 revs, but then I saw "Car" mag quote the VXR's top speed as 143mph -its all so misleading. Autocar quotes the Type R as 6.6 to 60 but still crowns it the Hot Hatch King out of all the hatched, it said the Type R's 197 BHP is "better sorted" than our 237.

Comment

260Ps ~ 258bhp :P
                      Nova 1.6 16v TB's DTA 1/4mile 14.8s

Comment

Originally posted by VXR_James
                        258 actually according to Autocar at 5500 revs, but then I saw "Car" mag quote the VXR's top speed as 143mph -its all so misleading. Autocar quotes the Type R as 6.6 to 60 but still crowns it the Hot Hatch King out of all the hatched, it said the Type R's 197 BHP is "better sorted" than our 237.
                        Well duh, yeah if you wanna count pennies. The Astra also has 237 and not 240 standard. The point is, MPS has 260PS as I said (maybe around 258bhp if you are correct) and Astra 240PS (around 237 bhp).
                        sigpic

Comment

I have heard a rumour that the reason it may not be included is because of the limited build numbers of the VXR. Its just so uncommon in relation to these other makes, all good for us owners, this car is going to be worth a small fortune resale given a bit of time !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X