Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who has changed there oil and filter themselves ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who has changed there oil and filter themselves ?

thinking of doing it myself tommorrow as i refuse to pay £100 +vat for vx to do it , used to do all my own cars in the past , just want to know if anyone has, how easy was it ? ps vx wanted £48 just for the oil i got it today the same stuff for £20 what a scam overheads i suppose :? :?
    sigpic
    stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
    M.U.F.C.
    http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Always do mine every six months, its quite easy really unless you are a complete numpty ( no offence numpty ). I find if you take the wheel off you can access the filter no problem, just make sure there are plenty of rags handy for the bit of oil that is left in the filter after draining. Its a shame vauxhall didnt make it the same as the 2.2, that was so so simple

Comment

done loads over the years was just making sure it wasnt a hard and fiddly job gonna take both wheels off tomoz anyway to clean inside em so 2 jobs in one hit
      sigpic
      M.U.F.C.

Comment

It is Do - Able Worsy Mate, just a tip - Before you undo the oil filter, with the car jacked up, tuen the wheels on full lock and lay some Blue paper or something all over the Wishbone and loop it over the subframe, cos whe you undo the oil filter it goes EVRYWHERE!!

I always do mine myself.....But then i am a Ex Vauxhall, Now SAAB Techie
        sigpic
        My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

[quote="Dazturbo6502"]It is Do - Able Worsy Mate, just a tip - Before you undo the oil filter, with the car jacked up, tuen the wheels on full lock and lay some Blue paper or something all over the Wishbone and loop it over the subframe, cos whe you undo the oil filter it goes EVRYWHERE!!

I used to watch Blue Peter when I was little, so I modified a cola bottle to catch/funnel the oil away from the wishbone, it does work in a fashion but then I have always been a bit sad

Comment

cheers for that 1 daz will note that down , always did my own cars for years since the 80's just got more cash and thought sod it let some one else do it but i begrudge paying 100+ vat from vauxhalls when it only cost me 32 inc vat for all the parts :? and i know i can do it so sod it can clean the wheels as well
            sigpic
            M.U.F.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazturbo6502
              It is Do - Able Worsy Mate, just a tip - Before you undo the oil filter, with the car jacked up, tuen the wheels on full lock and lay some Blue paper or something all over the Wishbone and loop it over the subframe, cos whe you undo the oil filter it goes EVRYWHERE!!

Superb.......thats me sorted then!!!
              HeavenlyDetail
              Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

well i think you guys have it covered

hope you got a new seal for sump plug worsy :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc

Superb.......thats me sorted then!!!
                  Im sure we will be able to sort something out mate :wink:
                  sigpic

Comment

[quote="wardy"]

I used to watch Blue Peter when I was little, so I modified a cola bottle to catch/funnel the oil away from the wishbone, it does work in a fashion but then I have always been a bit sad
                    Not a bad idea that Mate, although you still need plenty of Blue roll.

Oh yeah....Another tip, get yourself a can of 'Brake Cleaner' from Halfords or something, that will clean up any oil of you get it on the subframe / wishbone etc - Excellent stuff for cleaning oil up :wink:
                    sigpic

Comment

well did the oil and filter change today piece of p**s only thing i found was oil everywhere all over the inside of the rim and caked in cr*p took me ages to get it all off i think the garage what did my last oil change didnt tighten it on properly and i had a small leak so ended up cleaning all the wishbone and all round the front right , so come monday i will be on the phone to give em some grief , we'll see what happens on that score , also it's off into dealers tues as i have got a leak from the rocker cover gasket too :? that isnt that bad but getting it replaced under warranty , anyway the oil and filter will be changed by me from now on only took me about 30 mins to do so sod the 100 + for some numpty to change it cost me 32 all in for oil and filter and new sump screw so sod em i'll do my own
                      sigpic
                      M.U.F.C.

Comment

rip off merchants springs to mind with dealers :?

i got my bits at trade price of just under £20 and the dealers will have put their mark up on that , so basically they woulde making about £80/90 for 15 mins work :?

Comment

alright worsy mate!! just out of curiosity how do you get the inspection light to turn off??? :? after service? :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by NELLYC
                            alright worsy mate!! just out of curiosity how do you get the inspection light to turn off??? :? after service? :wink:
                            wouldnt know mines never come on i changed at 1500 and again today at 6700 will do a full service at 10 k if it comes on i'm off down to dealers and get em to turn it off simple as
                            sigpic
                            M.U.F.C.

Comment

Worsy this seems to be ok for cost but what if you have an engine problem with regards to warranty when you,ve highlighted you will do your own service?

Is there not stipulation from vauxhall about serviceing and warranty going hand in hand?

HeavenlyDetail
                              Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Working...
                              X