X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NON STARTER!!! A MYSTERY!!!

OK guys,
    now this is getting me p***ed off, a few months ago i had a problem with the car not starting when you turn the key and the light with the car and spanner on would light up. After a few minutes it would start and be fine, after doing this several times i took it into the dealers who eventually changed the ignition barrel and give me a new key :? . The car has been fine for about 2 months. Then about a week ago before i went to thorneys for stage 2 map it did it again, exactly the same . I told John about it and he had a look and said there was no error codes showing . So great maybe a one off!! NOT. My miss's rang me from the doctors car park were she was stuck for 15 mins, car not starting but listen to this!!, no lights came on the dash but the headlights came on without being switched on, for some reason she got out of the car to have a look under the bonnet :? but couldn't open it, so she got back in, put keys in and it started!!! :? what is going on???

and what do i do??? cause if i take it to my dealers i am worried that they will mess with the ecu and F**k my map up, and if i take it to thorneys it will cost me a days wage and about £60 in fuel, and we could still be left with no answer :?

any ideas???

Just a thought, are your leads tight on the battery. Think I read somewhere that someone else had a similar problem and it turn out to be a loose lead. :? or it could be the coilpack/plug problem

Comment

Do you have a bunch of other keys on the same keyring ?? I have heard that having other keys on the same keyring might cause this to happen, but I dont know how much truth is in this. :? Oh and the above post could be the solution also.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightroturbo
        Just a thought, are your leads tight on the battery. Think I read somewhere that someone else had a similar problem and it turn out to be a loose lead. :? or it could be the coilpack/plug problem
        coil pack and iridium plugs fitted by thorney, and i had the upgraded plugs before when it has happened also

cheers i will check battery

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter
          Do you have a bunch of other keys on the same keyring ?? I have heard that having other keys on the same keyring might cause this to happen, but I dont know how much truth is in this. :? Oh and the above post could be the solution also.
          I have also heard this, but when i asked thorney he said it was highly unlikely, but my miss's always has the car keys on a big bunch of house keys!! :? it has happened to her alot, but has also happened to me a couple of times in the past, but on the other hand she drives the car alot more than me so its hard to eliminate this :?

Comment

I know this is probably way off the point here but have had a problem with a d.c.i clio exactly the same and always happened in certain areas normally tesco carparks but when eventually started again car fine until i returned to tesco and bingo non starter....AA man thought that the car was being interferred with by signal masts possibly!!!

Renault also said they had encountered this problem before in high rise multistoreys where there were a bunch of antennae but could not solve it.....The coding on the key was changed and has been ok for about a year now....

Can see why renault purchased nissan as their electrics are awful!!!
            HeavenlyDetail
            Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

yeah!! it does seem weird, and the headlights coming on completely on there own when it was daylight aswell just says to me that there is a wiring or electrical fault somewere, but what i don't understand further is why it was fine for about 2 months after the barrel change :? very annoying

Comment

Sounds like a possible CIM problem ( Coloumn Integration Module)

It is the 'Gateway' on the Canbus system for control modules to transfer info on the BUS circuit between High Speed and Low Speed.

If it packs up, it can cause ALL SORTS of problems - This may also explain why your headlamps come on when they want to :?
                sigpic
                My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

Originally posted by Dazturbo6502
                  Sounds like a possible CIM problem ( Coloumn Integration Module)

It is the 'Gateway' on the Canbus system for control modules to transfer info on the BUS circuit between High Speed and Low Speed.

If it packs up, it can cause ALL SORTS of problems - This may also explain why your headlamps come on when they want to :?
                  what i'm worried about daz is taking it to my dealer and telling them this, and then them messing with the ecu and f***ing my map up

Comment

Life is weird. Nelly's was the first I'd heard now we've had 3 this week all reporting the same problem, sadly not when we've actually had the car so it makes diagnosis difficult.

CIM is one possible but my bet is something to do with the immobilisor and the key transponder as it seems to effect ignition feed. If we manage to get one in my plan is to reprgram the key/transponder and see if that works, worst case is an ECU reflash so you'd lose a remap but we (or the other tuners) can out that back for free anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorney
                      Life is weird. Nelly's was the first I'd heard now we've had 3 this week all reporting the same problem, sadly not when we've actually had the car so it makes diagnosis difficult.

CIM is one possible but my bet is something to do with the immobilisor and the key transponder as it seems to effect ignition feed. If we manage to get one in my plan is to reprgram the key/transponder and see if that works, worst case is an ECU reflash so you'd lose a remap but we (or the other tuners) can out that back for free anyway.
                      cheers John, now then, i have had 3 keys with this car and 2 different barrels as the original came out in my hand one day when i was taking keys out of ignition, i took it to my dealers and they said they must have broken it when taking barrel out to (in there terms) replace the chip!! they put a new barrel in gave me a new key and programmed it, then a couple of weeks later the key wouldn't lock and unlock the car without standing there for 5 minutes keep pressing, so i changed batteries and no difference, so i went back to dealers got another new key programmed and had no problems for a couple of months until a few days before coming to TMS.

Comment

the reason they messed with the barrel in the first place was because of this problem occuring

Comment

Mmmm, be interesting to know what it is when you sort it, i reckon its still a possibility its CIM :?
                          sigpic

Comment

If i ever do, goin to dealers in morning and taking this entire thread

Comment

LOL, Be sure to let us know what is causing your problem Matey :wink:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X