Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting halogen headlamp fitting black...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting halogen headlamp fitting black...

A few people have done this, anyone tell me how to take off the clear plastic cover from them? Do you have to use any kind of primer or paint straight onto the chromey plastic? Do you need to spray the fitting with the paint so they are both the same shade of black/grey or does it look ok?

Any general hints appreciated.

Cheers.

Is this what your on about if so mate its a major bit of work just to get the covers off and then to spray the chrome bits is not easy needs to be keyed realy well then plastic primer then a top coat.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave View Post
      Is this what your on about if so mate its a major bit of work just to get the covers off and then to spray the chrome bits is not easy needs to be keyed realy well then plastic primer then a top coat.
      Thanks mate, I'm a computer guy so 'real world stuff' is not my strong point How do you separate the cover from the fitting? Is it glued on? Should the chrome bits be separated (if possible) from the fitting? When you said 'keyed' you mean... ?

The pics you have there are pretty much exactly what I want. Gimme yours

Comment

can you stick a pic of the lighs on the car,not seen this done before

Comment

Originally posted by JB_VXR View Post
          Thanks mate, I'm a computer guy so 'real world stuff' is not my strong point How do you separate the cover from the fitting? Is it glued on? Should the chrome bits be separated (if possible) from the fitting? When you said 'keyed' you mean... ?

The pics you have there are pretty much exactly what I want. Gimme yours
          i used one of these to slide down the gap then melt the bonding http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=WEL9200UD

as for keying i mean rubbing down thw chrome surfice as you have one hell of a job trying to get paint to stick to it.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron318 View Post
            can you stick a pic of the lighs on the car,not seen this done before

I cannot put then on the car as ive changed the indicator to clear but cannot find a bulb that will fit the bulb holder that flashes orange.

Comment

i used one of these to slide down the gap then melt the bonding http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=WEL9200UD

as for keying i mean rubbing down thw chrome surfice as you have one hell of a job trying to get paint to stick to it.
              So there is a gap to stick it in, how did you melt the bonding without melting the actual cover itself? You were able to smoothly rub the chrome down evenly?

Comment

Originally posted by JB_VXR View Post
                So there is a gap to stick it in, how did you melt the bonding without melting the actual cover itself? You were able to smoothly rub the chrome down evenly?

yes mate just take your time with a steady hand the iron in the link comes with a flat blade just for that sort of job then its a light rub down and bond back to gether but dont ude too much as it will seap out every were.

I used 800 grit then 1200 to finnish them off the chrome rings come off but the indicator one is one bonded peace of orange plastic so if you leave it orange you will need to mask up for spraying, but if you want it clear like i did you will have to cut it out, then make a new one to put in its place, then you will be in the same boat as me with the bulbs.

Comment

You can buy indicator bulbs which i think are called 'Silvertech' from LMF which look silver but flash orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post
                    You can buy indicator bulbs which i think are called 'Silvertech' from LMF which look silver but flash orange.
                    not with the fittings on the astra

Comment

ive never seen bulb holders like them

Comment

ive never seen bulb holders like them
                        Courtenays have the Silvertec ones Dave that fit my astra...!!! so simply swapped over and the orange from the previous bulb disappeared....

But i have AFL is the indicator holder different to the standard light unit...??? carnt see why myself........
                        sigpic
                        WHICH ONE TODAY.... ???

LAMBORGHINI LP560-4.....VXR8 BATHURST:S...or.....FOCUS RS

Comment

Working...
                        X