This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vxr vs R32

Not a who would win thread as the title might suggest Has anyone on here had or test drove a Mk 5 R32 ? Just a little miffed at how common the vxr has become and maybe thinking of a change in the new year. Had a look on Autotrader and i'd probably have to get an R32 6-12 months older than my Vxr but is it worth it?

Pros I can see are 4WD, superb v6 sound, more of a luxury car and miles better at holding value (important as i'll sell the car I have in 18 months or so time to buy my 1st house)

Cons, well not many maybe a bit more thirsty than the vxr and they are hardly very tuneable.

Any views appreciated.

Must be your area mate. I see a vxr about once every month, I see a mk5 R32 every other day. And always in blue (which is nice btw).

Comment

my mates just bought an R32, my opinion on it is very fast, sounds great, looks - not as nice as the VXR (my opinion only) the seats he's got are like a leather bench nowhere near as comfy as the VXR recaros (again my opinion), and drinks far too much v power (he does boot it alot)

imo the VXR is my favorite, hence why i bought it,

the only way you will know is test drive 1

Comment

Regarding tuning, you could always turbocharge it

Comment

Totally different cars mate......have had my astra 4 months now, but previous to it had MK4 2003 R32 with full Millltek non res back with sports cat.

Also had Revo remap, car was a dream to drive, but so so different in way power was delivered.

Like I say loved the car...................but 100% love my Astra more

Comment

I agree with Common ness of them vxrs are everywhere its like they are coming from lucky bags! had i known theyd be going so cheap now aday id never have bough ***
            sigpic

Comment

i cant agree with the commoness...

i drove from outside glasgow all the way down to past bristol and back yesterday, and i only seen 1 Astra VXR.. thats roughly 900miles worth

now Focus St's on the other hand, they are lik stars in the sky, fv<king millions of them!!!

and those astra's with the body kits, sometimes i have to take a 2nd glance especially the power red ones, now there everywhere!!!

As for the R32, i think yordi asnwered the question...

and yes they are thirsty and power cant be extracted unless you want to pay big money...

nice looking cars tho

Comment

My mate has a Golf R32, very nice and but going head to head with VXR - Both stock - there isnt much in it, if anything.

My mate has had his re-mapped and a milltek exhaust for about £1,300 which has bumped it to about 275 bhp, this being less then a stage 2 VXR. It can be turbo charged but expect to pay for it.

Personally i wouldnt bother as there are more options with the VXR. Oh and apart from meets i can count on one hand the amount of times ive seen another VXR.

Comment

Originally posted by GraemeJ View Post
                  Not a who would win thread as the title might suggest Has anyone on here had or test drove a Mk 5 R32 ? Just a little miffed at how common the vxr has become and maybe thinking of a change in the new year. Had a look on Autotrader and i'd probably have to get an R32 6-12 months older than my Vxr but is it worth it?

Pros I can see are 4WD, superb v6 sound, more of a luxury car and miles better at holding value (important as i'll sell the car I have in 18 months or so time to buy my 1st house)

Cons, well not many maybe a bit more thirsty than the vxr and they are hardly very tuneable.

Any views appreciated.
                  grez only colour u can get r32 in is that purple/blue colour to stand out from the other 1's but every1 round where we live has that colour.r32 is a great car as u no i was wantin 1 b4 i got vexer but for the price u pay wether it be new or used ur gonna get ripped off for wat u get.and if u come across a gti mapped u get wasted which is lquite embarrasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz65y...eature=related

both standard an see wat u think!

Comment

i dont see my vxr`s about at all ,and only ever seen 1 other burg about 50 miles away from my house...
                    i have an old golf cab and can understand the likeing of the r32 vw`s are excellent cars!!but not as raw as the vxr , if your after a little more exclusive car why not get a burg..still an vxr but ,less about..

Comment

Opinions on VXR common'ness seem to be at extremes. So I guess they all must be clustered in certain areas, i.e. beside Graeme and Susanne.

Depends on what you want.
                      Aggression, character, looks and power = VXR.
                      Composed, grippy and understated = R32.

Again, the VXR Power/MPG ratio is among the best you'll find I think (with a few exceptions )

Comment

Originally posted by MagicDust View Post
                        i cant agree with the commoness...

i drove from outside glasgow all the way down to past bristol and back yesterday, and i only seen 1 Astra VXR.. thats roughly 900miles worth

now Focus St's on the other hand, they are lik stars in the sky, fv<king millions of them!!!

and those astra's with the body kits, sometimes i have to take a 2nd glance especially the power red ones, now there everywhere!!!

As for the R32, i think yordi asnwered the question...

and yes they are thirsty and power cant be extracted unless you want to pay big money...

nice looking cars tho
                        I live in Glasgow and see an average of 3 R32's a day (albeit the same 1's)and about a dozen ASBO's hardly ever see another Astra VXR , plenty of corsa's tho
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by soosie
                        Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
                        Originally posted by soosie
                        Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

When I have been out for a drive, I see more Porsches than I do VXR's, I hardly ever see a VXR, probably only seen a handful since I got the car. I guess its just the area, they might be cheaper to buy, or advertised a lot more by the local garages?

The R32 is very nice, but all that extra money for basically no more grunt? A bloke from my work says that he gets around 15mpg from his R32 (08 plate), the Vixer is bad enough at around 22mpg so wouldnt want to be dropping this low.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_VXR View Post
                            Again, the VXR Power/MPG ratio is among the best you'll find I think (with a few exceptions )
                            ...or possibly not...
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't see that many VXRs around in Essex, about the same as R32s. Of course as its Ford land I see at least 3 STs on every single journey.

I wouldn't say R32s are holding their value better than VXRs. The fact its a 3.2 with poor fuel economy and being in the highest tax bracket means they're plummeting in value right now, and they're falling from a higher starting price so in real terms (i.e. not &#37;s) are losing more.

Comment

Working...
                              X