This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Slapper

Had to break hard yesterday on a dual carriageway whilst in the slightest of right-hand bends. The rears locked and caused a bit of a tank slapper. It wasn't over bad but it got my heart rate up a bit!

Does anyone know if a RARB and Springs will calm this down at all?
    sigpic

No, don't brake hard mid corner.
    I see dumb people.......
    .....they're everywhere
    .....they walk around like everyone else
    .....they don't even know they're dumb

Comment

yup breaking mid corner at any speed is almost a cert to a trip to A&E, and a visit in the ditch

Comment

the biggest no no in any car, never mind a high performance car.

your speed should be adjusted before you turn, then accelerating after your apex.

Comment

yes never break like that otherwise you will get serouisly hurt.
          Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
          Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

Comment

the only time you can get a way with breaking mid corner is when you left foot break, only doing it softly aswel. wouldn't recommend it at really high speeds.

stamping on the breaks mid corner is a big no no..
            Last edited by sandyVXR; 2 November 2008, 10:35 AM.
            my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

i would ask the question why did you have to brake so hard in the first place

dual carriageway, very slight bend,
              either not paying attention to traffic or cut up by someone
              if the speed is high enough even a straight road could cause the back end to step out as has happened to me
              Tuned by RnD Motorsport

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie076 View Post
                i would ask the question why did you have to brake so hard in the first place

dual carriageway, very slight bend,
                either not paying attention to traffic or cut up by someone
                if the speed is high enough even a straight road could cause the back end to step out as has happened to me
                how that happen mate /

Comment

Originally posted by matrix View Post
                  how that happen mate /

was driving along the M62 towards Hull, going quite fast,
                  a caravan had jacknifed and was in the bushes, i was just looking at the caravan and didn't notice a 4x4 in front of me had slowed down to a snail pace to rubberneck,

right foot hard on the brakes,
                  and the back end just started to swing to the drivers side, applied a bit of opposite lock (a bit too much) and the car became very unstable, took a few goes of opposite lock to gain control again.
                  Tuned by RnD Motorsport

Comment

wow, bit scary dude... glad you did a bit of rally cross to sort it

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie076 View Post
                      was driving along the M62 towards Hull, going quite fast,
                      a caravan had jacknifed and was in the bushes, i was just looking at the caravan and didn't notice a 4x4 in front of me had slowed down to a snail pace to rubberneck,

right foot hard on the brakes,
                      and the back end just started to swing to the drivers side, applied a bit of opposite lock (a bit too much) and the car became very unstable, took a few goes of opposite lock to gain control again.
                      Pay more attention to the road and not accidents - this is why we get massive tail backs for minor accidents becuase everyone has to have a look and when not paying attention to the traffic in front get involved in an accident themselves.

Comment

very true...statics prove that rubbernecking leads to loads of secondary accidents on roads near a first accident

Comment

Rtaher than "no", I offer the following:

You can brake mid corner but you have to do it gently, becoming more progressive up until the point at which the back end feels light at which maintain that pressure. Any hard or abrupt applications of braking will shift the weight to the front of the car, thus raising the rear end resulting in the oversteer you experienced. It can be done, but you have to balance the weight of the car as best you can by smooth inputs. Can be done even in the circumstances you describe, but you have to overcome your fear of spending that bit longer applying the brakes vs the time gained by stamping on them.

Also, if you must do it, simply point the car at your intended stopping target (i.e the caravan) and straightline brake. This may mean straddling another lane and crossing white lines but if it is safe to do this it is easy and safe hard braking as the wheels will remain straight. Just be wary of any adverse cambers especially on DC's where the oversteer syndrome could well return.

Just get used to being mindful of the road surface and camber.

Comment

i've had the back end all over the show whilst braking in a straight line. It was very unnerving and has lost my confidence in the handling of the car. Which if were honest, aint the best anyway.
                            Burg #332 - 270 bhp - gone
                            Mazda 3 MPS - 490 bhp - gone
                            Audi S4 - MRC stage 2/490 bhp....so far

Comment

I know that breaking in a bend is a big no-no but sometimes it isn't by choice. It happened because someone pulled out on me from a lay-by whilst i was being overtaken.

This caused the car to roll-oversteer... Just wondered if a RARB and stiffer springs would sort this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X