This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel vibartion 70mph+

a friend in work took me out in his vxr which is also lowered on sportlines but we both noticed that when on the motor way and doing above 70 the steering wheel shakes loads!! what should i tell him to get checked, i know its just had a wheel alignment done after lowering.
    cheers
    alex

what about the wheels
    have they been balanced
    the truth is out there
    part GSI part VXR
    tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Balanced... Or center caps If got alloys I didnt have my 2 in mine and had them in then was fine
      Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
      Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

Comment

sounds like balancing is needed , best to get checked asap

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Groves View Post
          a friend in work took me out in his vxr which is also lowered on sportlines but we both noticed that when on the motor way and doing above 70 the steering wheel shakes loads!! what should i tell him to get checked, i know its just had a wheel alignment done after lowering.
          cheers
          alex
          Check the wheel bolts are tight enough or could be wheel balancing.

Comment

As said before, got to be the balancing

Comment

that happened on my golf i had, i had to have new discs on the front, they had warped or something.

Comment

tell him to drive at 60 or 80? that will fix it. Nah if its lowered the camber/tracking is probibly out. Get it the tracking and caster toe and camber looked at not just tracking at your local tyre shop. costs about 80 to have it set up properly and i am speaking from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by W6 PHL View Post
                  that happened on my golf i had, i had to have new discs on the front, they had warped or something.
                  Wont just wobble at 70 mph if it's warped brakes - would just wobble under braking but not when your foot isn't on the pedal

Astra

Comment

I had this problem and it was a balancing issue. One garage apparantly had not the knowledge how to balance this kind of rims correctly as they positioned the balancing weigths on the most inside part of the tires like on normal rims. That is a NO NO.
                    sigpic

Comment

Dont want to worry you but my old vxr did the same and it was because the alloys had a dent in them and you need to buy a new alloys.
                      sigpic
                      Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
                      And now have an
                      Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
                      Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

Comment

normally if the steering wheel shakes around 70 the front wheels need balancing, if its the whole car or dash board its normally the rear wheels need balancing but if its none of those then check your mate out he may have parkinsons.

Comment

Would most probably be the wheel balancing, but tyres can sometimes form a flat-spot from when the car is parked up which causes vibrations. My old Vredesteins were bad for this.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X