This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOT HATCH TEST: CIVIC TYPE R/GTi/MEGANE/FOCUS ST/LEON/ASTRA

Just to let you all know there is a good article in this months EVO Magazine. I won't say which car comes out on top. Have a look !!!

its the VXR all the way LOL

Comment

Sorry to say it is not, it's not even second. But the VXR is still the Dogs B####### so who cares

Comment

Hi,
        Which issue is that in, I can't see it in issue 101.

I see it now, it's in 102 March issue due 07/02/07, my subs copy didn't arrive on Saturday hopefully arrive on Monday then.

Comment

Going to be the Golf first then the ST, its so predictable.
          I have a difference of opinion to you.

Comment

My money is on the Renualt. Evo rave about it.

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Yes Turbo its the Megane by quite a way. It's the top end where it pulls away, mind you it doesn't win the "looks" stakes.

Comment

Got my EVO today....

....well...what absolute c*ck and b*ll*cks those performance figures are for the VXR

The worst ones I've seen yet

And someone will need to explain to me how a Focus, that weighs 1465kg ( ) - 117kg more than the VXR - but has less power and torque manages to out accelerate it by such a margin :?

How can the figures be so different to the ones posted by Autocar last year at the 0-100mph-0 challenge?

Perhaps their VXR is not well? I've traded down into my VXR from an M3 I can catagorically state that mine will run 0-100mph faster than 17.4s (I'm not saying that my VXR is M3 quick, it isn't, but the fact that I don't miss the last 10% of my M3's performance says a lot for the VXR - well mine anyway. And its standard.).

I mean, 17.4s. FFS.

Is this a symptom that some people describe of their VXR's feeling a bit 'flat' and being without the 'dragging a bag of gravel' noise from the exhaust I wonder? I only had this once or twice early on, almost like the turbo was not boosting 100% or the ignition was being retarded for some reason - feels wierd and quite different to normal where the car accelerates like the fuel tank is on fire.

Ho hum.

At least the VXR outhandled the Focus (another shock for me to be honest, wasn't expecting that from a magazine )

Never mind, I look forward to disapointing the first Megane R230 that I come across.

Rant of utter disbelief over.

Andy

Oh, and before anyone starts with the 'there only figures' stuff - if they weren't soooooo crap I wouldn't really care :wink:

Comment

coil pack any one? [-o< :P :P

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

VXR doesn't get good press it seems.

P.S.

When they tested the Astra VXR originally, they tested it as 6.7 to sixty and 16.7 to 100.

Comment

Have I opened a can of worms here boys? I don't particularly care what anyone says.My Astra goes fast enough for me and thats without remap's and the like. You can spout on about performance and all that, however you need to be able to use it, which is becoming more and more difficult due to traffic, cameras, jams and the like. Also speaking about 0-100 figures, I seem to be able to reach 100 pretty quick, as on numerous occasions I have had to lift off not realising the speed I was doing. EE happy days, wish I was 21 again, infact 41 would do!

Comment

Originally posted by beema45
                          Have I opened a can of worms here boys? I don't particularly care what anyone says.My Astra goes fast enough for me and thats without remap's and the like. You can spout on about performance and all that, however you need to be able to use it, which is becoming more and more difficult due to traffic, cameras, jams and the like. Also speaking about 0-100 figures, I seem to be able to reach 100 pretty quick, as on numerous occasions I have had to lift off not realising the speed I was doing. EE happy days, wish I was 21 again, infact 41 would do!
                          Not a can of worms. I am not questioning the performance of the VXR (well mine anyway).I'm quite satisfied.

But to see such poor figures for the VXR that just don't stack-up against experience, previous reviews or ultimately even basic physics I thought was worthy of comment.

Andy

Comment

That got me aswell, diff mags state totally diff figures, and not even figures that are remotely close - I have seen the 0 - 60 + top speed figure for the astra vary from 6.2 to 7 and 143 - 155. Don't these mags do their research properly? How can they get aay from mis quoting so much? It could sway peoples decisions on what car to get and cause loss of sales as a result? (assuming no one goes to VX and actually finds out / test drives the car themsleves)

Comment

Nutter,
                              I agree with you, if these figures are so good, then why don't we see more Meganes on the road. Or is Newcastle still out in the sticks, I wonder.
                              All I see is people looking at the car with open mouths. Also I wonder how the BTCC will go this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X