Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Clutch thoughts (& piccies of old clutch)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Clutch thoughts (& piccies of old clutch)

Following on from my last thread ( http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30539 ) of my slipping clutch, I collected the car from the dealers today.

As I drove out I noticed instantly how different the pedal felt, the biting point is over a much tighter length (in fact barely any length at all) and is instant and sharp... I stalled the car twice trying to drive out the dealers and had to really conecentrate at junction, as one twitch of my toe and the car fires forward.

I have only driven it a short distance so far but the car feels altogether tighter and sharper if that makes sense. I have yet to test it at high speed but I am hoping the issue is now resolved, and I have new warranty on the new clutch.

I have kept the old one as I may try and sell it on, maybe someone would like to re-condition it. Also, I have paperwork to say the clutch is in fairly good working order, so it may be of use to somebody who knows. Can anybody tlel me what the pictures of the clutch show as I know nothing about mechanics at all...

Thanks

Last edited by Surrey_Lad; 7 November 2008, 12:50 PM.

Has it turned blue ? if it has its ragged.

Comment

also what was the damage for a new clutch ?

Comment

looks blue to me too, as said above indicates it's ******, like if you have new brakes and you cook them the pads become glazed and don't stop you very well, same applies if it's glazed then it cant get any grip so slips

Comment

That has Hot spots all over it.

Do you drove with your foot resting on the clutch?

Or have you been heavy on it by any chance
          sigpic
          My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

he did drive with his foot resting on the clutch daz
            sigpic
            GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

obviously
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dazturbo6502 View Post
                obviously
                so it's ****** then definitely??? do you reckon it can be reconditoned or for the cost not worth it?
                sigpic
                GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

You could probably have the pressure plate re - faced, but not really worth it to be honest
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dazturbo6502 View Post
                    You could probably have the pressure plate re - faced, but not really worth it to be honest
                    thought as much
                    sigpic
                    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Cheers guys, my main reaosn for asking was to help understand why it had gotten to that state and how I can avoid it from now. I have transormed my driving style, my clutch foot now pressed ot the carpet unless I am changing gear. I know how the bad habit arose as I do alot of van driving in traffic and had slipped into bad habits.

The car feels amazing with the new clutch, totally transformed, a different car alltogether, I have full acceleration, full confidence etc all restored. An it pops and bangs consistently, it wasnt before as the acceleration was confused and scatty.

Total price was £550.

Out of interest, what do the hotspots look like?

Comment

thats exactly as I told you in the first posts when you started complaining about it. Ragged to hell and back. If you had left it in the poorly burnt face would have worn off and all would be ok.
                        sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                        Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

jalfrezi I am struggling to comprehend your posts, most have been a bit brief and sharp.

As I said before, I spent a long time "de-glazing" but the symptoms persisted. Thats a fact. What I am trying to learn is why and what has made this an issue - hopefully we can all learn from it...

What do the piccies show and why "may" have this been caused?

Comment

sorry if I seem harp, I write a lot of posts on a lot of forums each day so not got much time per post.

The cause you spotted yourself as riding the pedal a lot and inducing a lot of heat into the plate and cover. The burn is very bad on that clutch but would have worn off just taken a LOT of time. What you have learnt the expensive way is to change your driving style. If you had put an uprated clutch in and carried on driving the same way the new one would not have lasted long either

Mine has taken between 500 and 1500 miles to repair after some 1/4 mile action each time

anyway job done now
                            sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                            Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

Working...
                            X