This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tints and Springs

Booked my car in next week to get some window tints done and was just wondering what % of tint folk have on there vxr's. I have thought about going for 70% on the front windows(which is legal) and 50% on the rear, however my only dilema is that i dont want to visually see much of a difference between the front and back tints from the outside. So should i go for 70% all the way round, what do you think, what have you guys got?

Also just ordered lowering springs (Eibach pro kit) for my car, and was wondering how much it will drop by, as i was told that Eibach only make springs for the SRi model, which lowers it by 30mm, so on the VXr what will it drop by, 15-20mm? Is this right? Can anyone shine some light on this as i dont want to get the wrong ones..... :?

With tints just remember they are tinted on the sides at 30% as standard. I'm sure you've already thought of that.

I personally wouldn't go to a 70% on the front as the astra lights aren't the best and with a tint I would feel that night driving would be a nightmare?? I stand to be corrected tho.....

Comment

I think its the other way around mate, 70% tint means it lets 70% of light through the glass. Its pretty light anyway, but just wondering what other folk have on there cars?

Comment

found this, it might help.

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films” where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the visible light transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels (70% VLT for front side windows). These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban the practice in future of applying virtually any tinted films to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reasons for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is, however, a recognized difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department of Transport have argued however, that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself. The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the solution the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department of Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that maybe considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.
        my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

Originally posted by Rae-VXR
          I think its the other way around mate, 70% tint means it lets 70% of light through the glass. Its pretty light anyway, but just wondering what other folk have on there cars?
          Ah... i am a female!!!

Comment

i had a light smoke on the front of my last car which was 40% and a slightly darker on the back it looked the nuts look

sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

the rear was 85% and the front was 30%.. looked really good, but at night sometimes found that the front was a little hard to look out of it the road was really dark. good thing about them was that they kept the inside cooler in the summer..

Comment

i dont think personally you need to go too dark as the windows are quite small so only a slight darkening will look the nuts i know aussie had some pics of his somewhere and they looked very nice and was only a light smoke i think i'm gonna do mine soon and will only be a light smoke as i have a black car will they will look darker .
                sigpic
                M.U.F.C.

Comment

i agree with worsy, i wouldnt go to dark.

Comment

i think just enough to give a sense of mystery and not too dark to look like a drug runner
                    sigpic
                    M.U.F.C.

Comment

haha.

Comment

i think a lighter smoke looks classier too , too dark and it cheapens the car :?

Comment

Re: Tints and Springs

Originally posted by Rae-VXR
                          Also just ordered lowering springs (Eibach pro kit) for my car, and was wondering how much it will drop by, as i was told that Eibach only make springs for the SRi model, which lowers it by 30mm, so on the VXR what will it drop by, 15-20mm? Is this right? Can anyone shine some light on this as i dont want to get the wrong ones..... :?
                          Broadly speaking your figures are right.
                          The Eibach Pro-kit gives you the shallowest drop.
                          The Eibach Sportlines will drop it a little more.
                          Are you after a subtle lowering - if so you've ordered the right kit
                          sigpic

Comment

are they both ok to fit with 19s , i do a lot of country road diving and dont wanna end up catching my wings going round a corner :?

Comment

Originally posted by arden
                              are they both ok to fit with 19s , i do a lot of country road diving and dont wanna end up catching my wings going round a corner :?
                              Fine mate

Comment

Working...
                              X